Strategies to Avoid Weight Gain During the Holidays
What are the best strategies to not gain weight during the holidays?
1. Limit your baking of holiday foods. Most likely during the holidays you get large amount of holidays foods else where. There is no need to cook varieties of your favorite high calorie food around this time.
2. Make low-fat versions of your favorite holiday foods. You can do this experimenting with your ingredients for those sauces, main dishes, dips and drink. You can leave out the whip cream, cream cheese, and frosting in most desserts, and gravy for your meat. Potatoes could be served without butter. Check the substitution chart for some good ideas or try new recipes that feature a healthier version of older familiar recipes.
3. Serve healthy appetizers, snacks, and fruits at family dinners. Serve healthy appetizers such as a vegetable soup before the main course. This helps you ensure the children get their vegetables first. However, cut down on the dressing for the vegetables and salads.
4. Control your alcohol intake which are high in calories and light on nutrients. Drink a bit of water to help cut down on your appetite and keep you from drinking too much alcohol.
5. Finally, eat a small meal if your are invited to a holiday part. A small meal such as a fruit salad or vegetable salad is ideal before you go there.
After the binge, walk around, or help the host clean up to work off those extra calories.
Enjoy you holidays! And remember weight gain during the holidays is easier.
You might also like:
Busting 10 myths on healthy eating
Eight facts about dietary fiber
Facts about cooking oil
Fighting stress by eating healthy
Healthy eating: taking control of what you eat
Healthy food choices
Introducing healthy eating
Potatoes: a healthy choice
The facts about nutrition labels
Top 10 foods for cardiovascular fitness
10 cheapest, healthiest foods