Have you ever tasted lava? Well you're about to. 🙂 It seems that lime and pepper are enemies because when they are together it is all out war. Or is it a marriage? Where they complement each other so much that they bring out the best in each other. I'm still puzzled at the hotness factor of this sauce - certainly not like the regular pepper sauce.
Many people love hot peppers and cannot do without them in their meals. However, their are many types of hot peppers. In this recipe you can use the type that is available where you live. In Trinidad we have a wide variety of hot pepper: Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, 7 Pot Brown (Chocolate 7 Pot), 7 Pot Pod Douglah (Trinidad Douglah),
7 Pod, Trinidad Scorpion Pepper, 7 Pot Brains Strain, 7 Pot Barrackpore, 7 Pot Jonah, Trinidad Scorpion Cardi, Trinidad 7 Pot/Pod, and Trinidad Perfume.
A little pepper can do wonders. Here are some interesting things I learnt about hot pepper.
- It is great to relieve headaches and migranes. Pepper contains capsaicin, which helps numb the brains trigeminal nerve.
- Pepper eaters live longer. Pepper fight inflammation and obesity.
- It can help clear runny nose.
- It can speed up the metabolism. Again the capsaicin helps you lose weight.
- It helps control pain.
- It can soothe arthritis. You can take it with other pain relievers.
- Hot peppers can help you fight cancer (such cancers as: colon, liver, lung, pancreatic cancers and leukemia.
- It helps preserve food.
- Hot peppers contain antioxidants, vitamin A, B, C and E. It can therefore boast your health.
A Marriage of Lime and Pepper
When we made this, the slightest taste of the lime pepper sauce had us running for cold water. Yes, I know a pepper lover like me running for water. Possibly it could have been the type of pepper used; they did have a slight roughness on the skin; could have been a "warmer" variation of seven pot for all I know. But that warm was still too hot.
Of course it could have been the direct sunlight in which we placed the bottle in outside. Whatever the reason, all I can say is be warned and do have a glass of milk close by :-). Here's Lime Pepper Sauce.
Lime Pepper Sauce Recipe
LIME PEPPER SAUCE
3 limes, seeded and sliced
12 hot peppers
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons salt
½ cup water
Choose peppers of different colours. Prepare the peppers. Wash and clean. Chop the peppers. Set aside.
Put the sliced limes to boil in ½ cup of water
Set aside to cool.
Prepare the bottle and its cover for the lime pepper sauce by scalding with hot water.
We are now ready. First add some pepper, then add some garlic...
then add the salt....and the lime. Continue to layer in this way until ingredients are used up.
Note: You are also pouring in the water in which the limes were boiled in.
When finished, store in a cool place.
Note: Allow about a week before using the lime pepper sauce to give it sufficient time for the acid from the lime to work on the pepper and also for the lime slice to be infused with some heat from the pepper. What we do as well is put the bottle in the sun. This seems to speed up the process.
Hot Pepper FAQS
- Which peppers are very hot? Hot Pepper can be very hot to mildly hot. However, be aware that the the hottest peppers carry the names Ghost, Scorpion or Reaper.
- How do I know the pepper I have is hot? The stems will most likely tell you. Thinner stems usually indicate the pepper is very hot. Remember to wear gloves when you cut them.
- What are the side effects of eating too much pepper? Do remember, that if the pepper is very hot, you can get belly pain and nausea from eating too much pepper.
- How to overcome hot pepper? Drink a glass of milk to dissolve the heat from the capsaicin. A piece of bread or starchy food could do as well.
Well that's it. See you soon. Ah gone!
Lime Pepper Sauce
- 3 limes seeded and sliced
- 12 hot peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup water
- Put the sliced limes to boil in ½ cup of water. Set aside to cool.
- Cut up the peppers. Prepare the bottle and its cover for the lime pepper sauce by scalding with hot water.
- First, add some pepper, then add some garlic, the salt and the lime. Continue to layer in this way until ingredients are used up.
- Note: You are also pouring in the water in which the limes were boiled in.
- When finished, store in a cool place.