As Christmas passes, the nights and early mornings are usually chilly. It is the time many people get the flu. The sore throat, cough and runny nose is unbearable. No one likes getting the flu. However, there are many natural remedies to help you get relief and treat the flu symptoms.
This natural tea remedy is a tried and true one. You could also get some relief, even if you get any SARS 2 flu as well. Nevertheless, this tea is one of my favourite teas. I also believe you could also enjoy this tea if you want to increase the amount of vitamin C in your diet.
A Favourite Tea for Flu Symptoms
This lemon, ginger and orange peel tea is very easy to prepare, you will need ginger, orange peel, lemon (or a lime), garlic and a little honey to sweeten the tea. Some of these ingredients are used to make other teas (I have featured these teas in earlier post). I will give you the link below for each of these natural herbal teas. However, putting these various ingredients together is almost like a bomb, and you get an exciting smorgasbord of taste: a bit of sweet, a bit of acid from the citrus, and a bit of heat from the ginger. Some people like to add bay leaf to this tea. I must say, this tea wakes up your taste buds.
Here are some things you should know about the ingredients in this tea that can help you fight the flu:
- Ginger. The root of the ginger plant is known to aid in digestion and help the respiratory system. Ginger aids in reducing inflammation or swelling which causes coughs and congestion. Fresh ginger also reduces nausea.
- Orange peel. This is the outer skin or rind of the orange. Orange peel contains a high amount of vitamin C and A which can aid in digestive health. It is also a natural antioxidant that can boast the immune system and can help fight germs and viruses. It also help remove that disgusting phlegm. In teas, it gives the tea a slightly bitter taste.
- Lemon. Lemon juice is high in vitamin C as well. It is thus important to help improve your immunity. It can soothe your sore throat and cuts phlegm.
- Garlic. This is a common ingredient in food and even medicine. It can help improve your immune system and thus can reduce the severity of the cold or flu symptoms. Garlic contains a compound called allicin which can boost your ability to fight viruses.
- Honey. This not just sweetens the tea. It has its benefits. It can sooth sore throats.
- Bay Leaf. This is a popular spice that adds flavor and aroma to various dishes. Bay leaf tea contains anti-inflammatory properties and thus would be good to help reduce the severity of colds and the flu.
That's the list of ingredients. This is the best way to fight the cold or flu. So, here is how you make it.
By the way, if you don't have orange peel, you can make them yourself. Just peel an orange and hang the peel to dry in a dry warm space.
Lemon, Ginger and Orange Peel Tea
3 cups of water
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 clove crushed garlic
A length of orange peel (peel from half an orange)
1 bay leaf (optional)
juice from half a lemon or lime
1-2 tablespoon of honey
In a deep stainless steel pot, add the water, grated ginger, crushed garlic, orange peel and bay leaf.
Boil the ingredients until it turns to a golden colour. Then, add the lemon or lime and honey. Consume while warm or somewhat cool. This tea can hold over night and heated before consumed.
Lemon, Ginger and Orange Peel Tea
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- A length of orange peel (observe the picture below)
- 1 leaf bay leaf (optional)
- juice from half a lemon or lime
- 1-2 tablespoon honey
- In a deep stainless steel pot, add the water, grated ginger, crushed garlic, orange peel and bay leaf.
- Boil the ingredients until it turn over. Then, add the lemon or lime and honey. May consume while warm or somewhat cool. This tea can hold over night and heated before consumed.