Once upon a time Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo visited Trinidad and Tobago; a love affair ensued...And the rest was history.....
Anything we Trinis touch eventually gets a bit of the Caribbean warmth this twin island republic is so known for. The foreign music changes when it lands in Piarco; we add a beat here and a few more tones there and before long we make the style of music our own....
The same goes with food....
I'm sure when the English made black pudding they never thought of putting chive and chadon beni to give it a unique flavour; or how about pastelle....It tastes nothing like those from Venezuela or the Hallacas from Puerto Rico; we made it our own...Coming to think of it I would never enjoy a pastelle with raisins in it....As a matter of fact I once remembered a Christmas time while eating a pastelle, a man said, " I doh like pastelle with raisins nah. It does just slow yuh down. When ah eatin' meat is meat ah want to eat" lol
Well there goes the debate: raisins, capers and olives or just ah piece of pork; seasoned to perfection; stewed down with some roucou and then ground by hand in a mincer. OK, ok that would just open one long discussion that may be a post all by itself. So we'll leave that for the while.
Where were we lol? Ah yes Mr Fettuccine Alfredo.....
After looking at a few recipes and videos I realized that Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo was easy to make and it didn't really pose much of a challenge. So, as with every dish, I embarked on making this famous Italian dish, Trini. First of all the Italian seasonings went out the window; didn't have any and wasn't going to look for it anyway and if I did find a small bottle, hidden on a shelf somewhere, it may have been pricey. Then the chicken needed some flavour, so guess what? It was green seasoning down the line and then off to the fridge to marinate.
I also figured that while I was at it you could substitute the fettuccine for any pasta, but I decided to keep the fettuccine instead since I liked the look of it. So, now it was off to the kitchen to prepare a wonderfully satisfying but easy chicken Fettucine Alfredo dish. Enjoy !
CHICKEN FETTUCCINE ALFREDO
250g fettuccine pasta
2 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, grated (divided)
1 cup onion, minced (divided)
2 sprigs chive, minced
1 tbsp fine leaf thyme
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 red pimento pepper, minced
250 g chicken breast (about 2 chicken breasts)
2 cups cooking cream or heavy cream
1 tbsp pimento pepper, minced
¼ cup chadon beni, minced
pepper to taste (optional) [I preferred to use red pepper flakes]
½ cup - 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (based on how cheesy you want.)
½ cup freshly chopped parsley
Note: These are the brand of Parmesan cheese and cooking cream I used.
chadon beni, chive, thyme and 2 cloves garlic (grated).
Marinate for at least an hour.
Note: When the chicken is cooked it will be white in colour.
Now for the sauce.
butter, the rest of onion (¼ cup) and 2 cloves garlic, grated.
Note: Here you can add even more seasonings to you liking. I chose to keep it simple.
Stir to coat evenly. Adjust salt if desired.
Add the parsley optional pepper. Toss. Serve immediately.
Make sure and take out yours first lol hahaha! 🙂
Print this recipe
Easy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 250 g fettuccine pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic grated (divided)
- 1 cup onion minced (divided)
- 2 sprigs chive minced
- 1 tbsp fine leaf thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 red pimento pepper minced
- 250 g chicken breast about 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups cooking cream or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp pimento pepper minced
- ¼ cup chadon beni minced
- pepper to taste optional [I preferred to use red pepper flakes]
- ½ cup – 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated (based on how cheesy you want.)
- ½ cup freshly chopped parsley
- Note: These are the brand of Parmesan cheese and cooking cream I used.
- Boil the fettuccine, drain and set aside. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes.
- Season with ½ cup onion, ¼ tsp salt, chadon beni, chive, thyme and 2 cloves garlic (grated).
- Marinate for at least an hour.
- Heat the oil and saute ¼ cup onion until translucent.
- Add the chicken. Stir fry until cooked through.
- Note: When the chicken is cooked it will be white in colour.
- Remove and set aside.
- Now for the sauce.
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Add the butter, the rest of onion (¼ cup) and 2 cloves garlic, grated.
- Let cook until translucent then add the red pimento pepper.
- Note: Here you can add even more seasonings to you liking. I chose to keep it simple.
- Add the cream. Lower the flame and simmer gently for 4- 5 minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally.
- When the sauce thickens add the chicken and grated cheese.
- Stir to coat evenly. Adjust salt if desired.
- Add the fettuccine and toss.
- Add the parsley optional pepper. Toss. Serve immediately.
Note: You can serve the fettuccine with some parsley and grated Parmesan cheese if you so desire.
In my case I so desired and it was good lol haha!
Well, I'm still finishing up my plate so I can't really talk much. In the mean while you can run down to the grocery and get some chicken and some pasta ...don't forget the cooking cream.
Do enjoy my easy chicken fettuccine alfredo.
Ah Gone 🙂