Today, I am posting a traditional favorite, curry conchs and dumpling. But first I must say: A pleasant good day to everyone. Long time no see. It's been a while but, life sometimes get in the way and you have to pause for a cause. So what was my cause? I have recently started working after a long time of study and it took me a while to settle in the job and get acquainted with my new surroundings. Other than that I have had some other hiccups along the way .... first my camera died, but that was my fault really (note to self: salt water and camera do not mix lol) and now some of my laptop keys aren't working but I can still manage.
A Delicious Curry Conchs and Dumpling
Now that I have settled somewhat it's time to get back to posting. Yeah (exclamation mark) To start off, I bring to you today curry conchs and dumpling. This is a dish made with the river conch that is really wholesome and downright tasty. To differentiate between the river conch and the sea conch we usually call the sea conch Lambie. And that one tastes just as delicious. Doh worry ah have ah lil Lambie recipe to do too for allyuh (exclamation mark)
The texture of the conch is similar to chicken gizzard when pressure cooked and when curried, you could almost say that you're eating curried gizzard. This combination of the curried conch with the cow tongue dumplings makes a wonderful and filling feast trini style. I sure enjoyed this and remembered to take down the recipe to share with you all. So as my first recipe after long hiatus, here's curry conchs and dumpling. Enjoy 🙂
Curry Conchs and Dumpling Recipe
CURRY CONCHS AND DUMPLING
2 lbs conchs, cleaned
2 tsp salt
10 leaves chadon beni
1 head garlic (8 cloves), cleaned and chopped
2 tbsp lime juice, divided
3 cups coconut milk
2 tsp amchar masala
1 tsp geera powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
4 tbsp curry powder, divided
½ hot pepper (scotch bonnet)
2 tbsp oil
2 cups flour (for dumpling)
Check here for the Dumpling Recipe
Boil the dumpling, drain and set aside.
Note: When the dumpling floats to the surface it is ready. You can double check by cutting one with a knife or edge of a spoon.
Wash and clean the conch in water with 1tbsp of lime juice added
(That's about ½ a lime squeezed). Cut each conch in two....
and wash again.
Blend the chadon beni, hot pepper, and 5 cloves of garlic. Set aside.
Drain the water from the conch and add salt, .....1 tbsp Curry, 1 tbsp lime juice ....
And 3tbsp of the green seasoning mixture. Mix well and marinate for at least 3 hours.
Note: The longer it marinates the better the seasoning penetrates into the meat. If you could, let it marinate overnight.
Add 5 tbsp water and mix well.
Heat the oil; add the remaining 3 cloves of garlic (chopped) and add the curry mixture. When the mixture looks sticky add the conchs.
Let cook for a while until it has sticky appearance (meaning that most of the water has evaporated)
Add the coconut milk and pressure cook for about 35 to 40 minutes.
The finished curry conchs. Serve over the dumpling.
As usual, see you soon with some more mouth watering trini recipes.
Ah gone (exclamation mark).
Don't forget to leave your comments on this curry conchs and dumpling recipe.
Curry Conchs and Dumpling
- DUMPLING *(See link below)
- Boil the dumpling, drain and set aside.
- CURRY CONCHS
- Wash and clean the conch in water with 1tbsp of lime juice added
- (That’s about ½ a lime squeezed)
- Cut each conch in two and wash again.
- Blend the chadon beni, hot pepper, and 5 cloves of garlic. Set aside.
- Drain the water from the conch and add salt, 1 tbsp Curry, 1 tbsp lime juice And 3tbsp of the green seasoning mixture.
- Mix well and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- In a cup, add the geera powder, amchar masala powder,
- turmeric powder and the remaining 3 tbsp of curry powder.
- Add 5 tbsp water and mix well.
- Heat the oil; add the remaining 3 cloves of garlic (chopped) and add the curry mixture.
- When the mixture looks sticky add the conchs.
- Let cook for a while until it has sticky appearance
- (meaning that most of the water has evaporated)
- Add the coconut milk and pressure cook for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve over the dumpling.