Barbecue Pork! Where should I start. Maybe from the edge....The crisp charred skin gives way to the succulent "green seasoning" infused meat, cooked down to the bone to give it that real Trini flavour. The barbecue sauce further smothers the meat with a burnt in, semi sweet, bay leafy, garlic flavour ......I could just taste it now; I'm salivating...Hmm. And for some reason I'm looking at the picture...Delicious is an understatement.......
Barbecue Pork Indoors
With the heavy down pour of the rainy season these days in Trinidad, it is virtually impossible to do any outdoor cooking. And that goes for barbecue as well. But thankfully, barbecuing indoors is possible without all the smoke filling up the kitchen. Just like the barbecue chicken I did a few posts ago, we decided to do some pork this time around. The steps are the same and the sauce is the same. Shoulder cuts of pork were used, so the cooking time was much shorter than before.
So enjoy this barbecue pork recipe. I sure did 🙂
Barbecue Pork Recipe
Parboil the pork for about 5 minutes and save the stock. Mix ½ cup of stock and ½ cup of barbecue sauce and reduce for 1 ½ minutes. Spread the barbecue sauce over the pork.
Place the pork in the oven on the grill side
Periodically turn the pork and baste with the remaining barbecue sauce. Barbecue until well done. It took about 35 minutes to grill.
Barbecue Port FAQs:
- How about Charcoal barbecuing? For charcoal barbecuing, use a combination of hardwood charcoal and wood. Make sure the food (meat) is set in the center of the grill while the coals are at the sides, parallel. If you are suing a gas grill, heat one side and the food goes to the opposite side. Do turn the food (meat) on all sides for even cooking. Having place the food on opposite sides, you can use a dripping pan to collect the fat from the meat. The meat is done when a fork can easily go into the meat.
- How do I season the pork? Pork can be seasoned with a wide variety of seasoning depending on what you have available. It can also stand alone or just seasoned with salt and black pepper. However, you should marinate your pork meat overnight or for at least three hour. Tender cuts would work quite well for barbecuing. You may precook the meat before you barbecue as shown above. We precook for a few minutes, however some people may seek to cook longer. Some popular cuts for barbecuing pork are ribs and tenderloin.
Well that's it for another post and the end of another wonderful week. See you soon. Ah gone!
- 2 6 oz pork shoulders seasoned and marinated overnight or at least 3 hours.
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce divided (see link below)
- Parboil the pork for about 5 minutes and save the stock. Mix ½ cup of stock and ½ cup of barbecue sauce and reduce for 1 ½ minutes. Spread the barbecue sauce over the pork.
- Place the pork in the oven on the grill side. Periodically turn the pork and baste with the remaining barbecue sauce. Barbecue until well done. It takes about 35 minutes to grill.
Note: We now have our terrific Simply Trini Cooking cookbook available at Amazon. The book contains over 600 recipes - some recipes included in the book come from the this website and others are just meant for readers of the book. You can visit this link for more information.