Sorrel Chicken is one of those recipes that don't allow you to throw away food that could be very useful. Don't throw away your sorrel pulp when you're finished making your sorrel drink because I have a recipe that's delicious and out of this world. Apart from the Sorrel Jam, I have found yet another delicious use for sorrel pulp. Read on.
The Popular Sorrel Sepals
Sorrel is popular during the Christmas season in Trinidad and Tobago. This tart sepal helps us make one of our favorite drinks. However, a few years ago when I started this blog, I thought this was all that could be done with this sepal. Today, I know much more . So far we have done Sorrel Jam, Sorrel Flavoured Gelatin, and Sorrel Cake and with this in mind I have another sorrel influenced dish for you today.
Sorrel Chicken: Another use of the Sorrel Sepal
Sorrel Chicken is exquisite in taste. The sweet mixed in with the savoury mixed in with the Trini Style cooking is a wonderful conglomeration of flavours indeed. All I can say in Trini is, "try it, yuh go like it" .....Words just cannot explain the subtle flavours of this dish. 🙂 Here's Sorrel Chicken Trinistyle.
Sorrel Chicken Recipe
2 lbs chicken ( I used leg and thigh )
1 cup onion, chopped
2 tbsp. oil
2 cups sorrel pulp with juice (semi-sweet)
⅔ cup orange juice
⅓ cup raisins or currants
½ tsp. pepper flakes
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. garlic powder
Remove skin from chicken and season to taste. Marinate for at least 3 hours.
and brown chicken on both sides…place in baking dish and cover with the sorrel mixture
then cover with foil.
Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 1-1 ½ hours or until tender.
- 2 lbs chicken I used leg and thigh
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 cups sorrel pulp with juice semi-sweet
- ⅔ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup raisins or currants
- ½ tsp. pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Remove skin from chicken and season to taste. Marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Mix the sorrel, orange juice, cinnamon, raisins, pepper flakes, garlic powder and onion in a bowl. Set aside.
- Brown chicken and place in a baking dish. Pour sorrel mixture over chicken and cover with foil, let chicken marinate for 20 minutes.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for about 1-1 ½ hours or until tender.
Onward we move to the next recipe....no time to talk lol!!
Don't for to leave your comments about sorrel chicken in the comment box below.