Now we are getting into the hard stuff. Ponche de Crème or Punch ah Crème is one of our homemade alcoholic drinks that we love to consume during the Christmas season. And being 100% Trini, I decided that I must have some in my fridge for Christmas. I am making it was simple and straightforward, and I thoroughly savoured my first glass for the season. I could have shared mine with you all, but we haven't mastered teleporting drinks and food over the internet as yet. So in the mean time here is the recipe for you to try :^)
Ponche De Crème Recipe
PONCHE DE CRÈME
Blend the eggs together.
Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk and nutmeg and blend.
Then add the rum and bitters and blend one last time.
Pour in a clean bottle and refrigerate. Serve chilled.
Tip: Since this recipe uses raw eggs you may want to pasteurize the eggs by heating it in a double boiler, or bowl placed over water in a sauce pan, stirring constantly while maintaining the temperature at 140° F for three and a half minutes.
The lemon zest is used to cut the fresh smell of the eggs but with the amount of alcohol used, I don't think it is necessary. We did not use it and the ponche de crème still came out OK though, I still thought it could have done with some more rum :^)
Ah gone again!
Ponche De Crème
- 4 eggs
- 1 tin condensed milk 390g
- 1 tin 1 tin condensed milk (390g)
- ½ bottle rum approx 1 ½ cups
- 3 tbsp. Angostura aromatic bitters
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp. lemon zest optional
- Blend the eggs together. Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk and nutmeg. Blend the ingredients together.
- Add the rum and bitters, and blend one last time. Pour in a clean bottle and refrigerate. Serve chilled.