A mini macaroni pie is a little innovation my wife came up with. They're great for controlling portion sizes. So when making these mini pies, muffin tins can become quite handy especially when preparing single servings of almost any side dish for lunch.
It is a wonderful choice for serving macaroni pies. These neat looking muffin pies look exquisite and are not just a side dish, but can also serve as a finger food at brunches.
I like macaroni pies for the simple reason that the pie recipe is so versatile. You can change the ingredients any time to suit your need and the occasion. For instance, you can add a favourite vegetable or two to the pie, or even add some minced meat.
Usually, I use evaporated milk in my pies, but this time I used a little cream instead. It gives the pie a smooth, creamy texture and sweet taste. Just be careful not to over bake your mini macaroni pies. They cook very quickly.
A Mini Macaroni Pie Recipe
When I think of a macaroni pie, I can't help but think of the usual Sunday Lunch. I get nostalgic, thinking of the macaroni pie, the callaloo, the red beans, the stewed meat and the rice. It just never gets old. But I digress. These mini pies are fun and very easy to make. This is the recipe.
MINI MACARONI PIE
1 pack elbow or shell or twisted pasta, about 20 oz
2-3 tsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. butter
½ cup cream
1 lb. cheese, grated
1 small onion, finely grated
1 pimento pepper, minced
1 tsp. parsley, minced
1 sprig of chive, finely chopped
½ tsp. paprika
1 tsp. bitters
1 tablespoon green seasoning
Salt and pepper sauce to taste
Boil the pasta in water for about 10 minutes (until it is slightly cooked) and drain.
cheese. Mix well.
Add green seasoning, rest of herbs, bitters, and pepper sauce to the pasta and mix well.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
Mini Macaroni Pie
- 1 pack elbow or shell or twisted pasta about 20 oz
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup cream
- 1 lb. cheese grated
- 1 small onion finely grated
- 1 pimento pepper minced
- 1 tsp. parsley minced
- 1 sprig of chive finely chopped
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. bitters
- 1 tablespoon green seasoning
- Salt and pepper sauce to taste
- Boil the pasta in water for about 10 minutes (until it is slightly cooked) and drain.
- Add the butter to the hot pasta and mix until melted.
- Add the egg, tomato paste, cream and cheese. Mix well.
- Add green seasoning, rest of herbs, bitters, and pepper sauce to the pasta and mix well.
- Finally add the cheese and mix well.
- Grease the muffin tins and fill with the pasta.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese over each mini pie.
- Garnish with some paprika or chive.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
- Serve cool .
That’s it for this post. Thanks again for stopping by! Please leave me a comment and tell me how your mini macaroni pie tasted.