This Green Rice dish will certainly surprise you and your family. Rice is a staple ingredient in many dishes here in Trinidad and the Caribbean. Trinidadians do eat a lot of rice. It is considered a basic food, despite its ever increasing cost. What is important is that we do not waste this necessary ingredient. Some times I get a little tired of eating plain rice with whatever side dish. That is why I like green rice, but don't let the name fool you.
Interesting Green Rice Recipe
The rice is not green, that would be weird though. The rice is called by that name because it is cooked with dasheen leaves (taro leaves), which is green of course, and some other green herbs and seasoning. And yes, it has lots of cheese... This is a tasty pie that everyone will love. It also makes a great vegetarian dish. Some of my favorite side dishes with this dish is callaloo (yes, I know more dasheen), stew chicken and lettuce salad (more green again!).
This dish is very easy to prepare and fuss free. But before I give you the recipe, don't forget to cut out the tips of the dasheen leaves (or else it will itch you) . Here is Green Rice... Hope you enjoy this tasty dish!
Green Rice Recipe
Green Rice with callaloo, lettuce salad, and a piece of fried fish.
2 cups uncooked rice
1 small onion, finely grated
2 green pimento pepper, finely chopped
1 lb. grated cheese
½ cup milk
6 leaves dasheen bush leaves
2 tbsp. oil
1½ tbsp. butter
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 tsp. parsley, finely chopped
1 sprig chive, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Cook the rice, ensure that it is still somewhat grainy.
Grate the cheese. Cut off the stalk of the dasheen bush. Retain the leaves and remove the tips of the dasheen bush leaves. Gather all together and slice thinly, as shown above.
Pour into a greased baking dish and bake for about 300° F or until the top of the pie is golden brown.
This dish was worth it; fuss free with a whole lot of cheese. If Emeril was doing this dish I could just hear him say, "Bam!!". Anyhow, good luck and good cooking! Enjoy your green rice.
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 small onion finely grated
- 2 green pimento pepper finely chopped
- 1 lb. grated cheese
- ½ cup milk skim
- 1 egg
- 6 leaves dasheen bush head
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter unsalted
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 tsp. parsley finely chopped
- 1 sprig chive finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice, ensure that it is still somewhat grainy. Grate the cheese.
- Cut off the stalk and tips of the dasheen bush. Retain the leaves and remove the tips of the dasheen bush leaves. Gather all together and slice thinly, as shown above.
- In a deep mixing bowl, add the cooked rice, dasheen leaves, herbs, salt, pimento, onion, egg, butter, milk and ¾ of the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and bake at 300° F for 40 min or until the top of the pie is golden brown.