Channa patties is the second set of veggie patties for the site. The first set of patties, made of lentil peas, were equally tasty and used as a side dish or in a burger. Also, this one was prepared for a hearty chickpea burger. This meatless burger was surprisingly quite satisfying with a slice of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and some onions. I did not miss the meat at all even though you all know me as a self professed "meatarian". It couldn’t get more health conscious than this channa pattie between two multigrain buns.
Channa Patties: A Healthy And Tasty Alternative
I really enjoyed preparing this pattie for a healthy wholesome channa burger. Additionally, I looked forward to eating it because channa or chickpeas is known to have a number of health benefits. Chickpeas is a good source of protein, carbohydrates and fiber. As a result, it is great for controlling blood pressure and cholesterol. It can also prevent inflammation and indigestion. Above all, it is especially beneficial for people with diabetes. And as if this was not enough, I added toasted sesame seeds which pushed the nutty taste a bit more.
Channa Patties Recipe
1 lb channa (garbanzo bean, chickpea)
½ cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp ginger, grated
½ cup chadon beni, chopped (divided)
½ tsp. oregano
2 leaves big leaf thyme, chopped
½ c fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp. fine leaf thyme
1 tsp. marjoram
½ tsp. sage
⅓ cup sesame seed, toasted
2 pimento, chopped
1 tsp. paprika
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
Oil for frying
Note: The sesame seed adds a nutty flavour to the channa pattie.
Reserve ½ the chopped chadon beni and some parsley.
Blend the ingredients together.
Add the rest of the ingredients, including the eggs, and proceed
to make balls by scooping ½ cup of the channa mixture each time.
Note: No flour was used.
You will get 10 channa balls for this recipe.
Note: Just use enough oil to cover the channa patties.
I used a low flame so I can have more control over the frying process.
Now to prepare the burger.
garlic sauce and mustard.
The garbanzo bean patties went down well. I was hungry enough to have two channa burgers for lunch and I was surprised at how filling they were. Up to dinner time, I was still not that hungry plus I wasn't "gassy" as channa is known to produce. I believe the soaking before helped in that way.
Anyway, I continue on to more recipes because this trini recipe train now getting warmed up lol. For those who haven't joined my mailing list as yet use the form below and get trini recipes in your mail box every week.
Ah Gone 🙂
- 1 lb channa garbanzo bean, chickpea
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- ½ cup chadon beni chopped (divided)
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 2 leaves big leaf thyme chopped
- ½ c fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp. fine leaf thyme
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- ½ tsp. sage
- ⅓ cup sesame seed toasted
- 2 pimento chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- Oil for frying
- Soak the channa for 15 mins. Drain.
- Pressure cook the channa for 20 minutes. Then drain the water and set aside to cool.
- Next, toast the sesame seeds in a pot.
- Note: The sesame seed adds a nutty flavour to the channa pattie.
- Toast until golden brown.
- Blend the sesame seeds until fine then set aside.
- Prepare the herbs and the seasoning for the patties.
- Reserve ½ the chopped chadon beni and some parsley.
- In a food processor, add the channa, sesame seed, onion, garlic, pimento pepper and the chopped herbs.
- Blend the ingredients together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the eggs, and proceed
- to make balls by scooping ½ cup of the channa mixture each time.
- Note: No flour was used.
- Place the balls on a tray with waxed paper.
- You will get 10 channa balls for this recipe.
- Flatten and form the patties in the palm of your hands.
- The flattened channa is ready for frying.
- Fry the channa patties over a low flame. Flip the patties over and fry until golden.
- Note: Just use enough oil to cover the channa patties.
- I used a low flame so I can have more control over the frying process.
- Place the patties on napkins to remove the excess oil.