"Carrots are orange because oranges are orange" is not quite true, but it was the orange bread that had me thinking of a carrot yeast bread. And though I know that carrots, in its heirloom form, is not only orange; it can be purple, black, yellow, red, or white. These various colours would certainly make a wonderful salad. However, I can only get the orange carrots and its sweet goodness would definitely make a delicious (yeast) bread.
An Orange Carrot Yeast Bread
Now, I don't want this bread to be confused with a (quick) carrot bread. This recipe is not a quick recipe, for quick breads use baking soda and baking powder instead of yeast. With yeast, you have to knead the bread for a while and allow it to rest. It's texture and sweetness is different also. The texture of this bread is moist, somewhat light and soft. It cuts beautifully, and when toasted and buttered it is extremely delicious. However, the bread is not as sweet as a (quick) carrot bread. If you want a bit more sweetness to the bread you can add some raisins. Don't add too much though, a good handful would suffice.
Now, this bread is very easy to prepare. This recipe is a variation of my white bread recipe. I added finely grated carrots to the flour. I did not want to puree cooked tomatoes for this recipe. As you should know by now, I just don't like to overcook my food.
Anyway, I have so many ideas for breads. Look forward to these ideas in the future. However, today is carrot yeast bread. Here is how I made this carrot bread.
A Carrot Yeast Bread Recipe
CARROT YEAST BREAD
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 envelop yeast
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup lukewarm water
½ cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
vegetable oil to grease bread pan
¾ cups finely grated carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Optional: ½ cup raisins
Grate the carrots. Set aside.
sugar and salt. Mix well.
Add the grated carrots to the flour and mix well.
Add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Adjust the liquid (milk) as necessary.
Leave to rest until it doubles in size. Punch down and then roll out.
Place in a prepared pan, cover with a towel and allow to rise for another 10 to 15 minutes.
Bake until golden brown, or for 20 to 25 minutes.
Remove from the pan and cool on a rack before slicing.
In the end about half of the carrot yeast bread was "sampled" by the time I finished the shots and was packing away the camera. Belly full ...and everybody was happy.
Coming up next: A dish considered bizarre...but tasty all the same to my trini taste buds.
Ah gone 🙂
Carrot Yeast Bread
- Grate the carrots. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs.
- Melt the butter. Add the butter, vanilla and egg to the milk. Set aside.
- In a deep bowl, sift the flour. Add the yeast, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Add the grated carrots to the flour and mix well.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Adjust the liquid (milk) as necessary.
- Mix well.
- Dust with a little flour, knead until smooth and elastic (this might take about 10 minutes).
- Leave to rest until it doubles in size. Punch down and then roll out.
- Place in a prepared pan, cover with a towel and allow to rise for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake until golden brown, or for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and cool on a rack before slicing.