I love the the way carrots add flavour and colour to rice, especially this carrot rice dish. It is absolutely one of my favourite rice dishes. It can be paired with just about any side dish - such as fried chicken, fried fish, barbecue lamb, baked turkey, and even with pastelle. It looks great along side any salad as well.
I honestly believe that this recipe could pull you out of any hungry situation in as little as 30 minutes. It is so easy to make and requires few ingredients, mostly the ingredients you would have coming close to the end of a month, before you go to the grocery. And yet, it looks rich.
I really thought I had posted this recipe, but it was requested by a very observant reader who saw it in the background of our trini style paprika chicken recipe. So here it is. I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoy it.
By the way, I have to admit that the colour of this rice is pushed a bit more with the help of saffron.
Here is Carrot Rice.
3 cups cooked rice
1 large red pimento pepper
2 leaves big leaf thyme
1 small onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
1 large carrot, peeled and grated (about 1 ½ cups)
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tbsp. turmeric mixed in 2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp chopped celery or chadon beni (optional)
salt to taste
chadon beni and mix thoroughly.
Note: I did this to push the flavour a bit.
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Heat oil in a deep pot.
- Saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the saffron and water mixture.
- Stir and cook the saffron until it forms a paste. Then add the pimento.
- Add the carrots. Stir to mix the ingredients evenly.
- Note: Make sure the flame is low, so you don’t overcook or burn the carrots.
- Next, add the rice and salt to taste. Stir until the carrot is evenly distributed.
- Optionally, add chopped celery or chadon beni and mix thoroughly.
- Note: I did this to push the flavour a bit.
- Serve hot.
Well that's it for my easy carrot rice recipe, hope you enjoyed.
Ah gone 🙂