Breadfruit has really gotten the better of me this week. It is in season and it is selling like hot cakes. So much so that after the Roast Breadfruit and Saltfish, I just had to go purchase some more, to make some breadfruit pie. It is one dish I don't hear much people talking about. They usually end up doing the normal oil down or just settle to making breadfruit chips.
A Simple Breadfruit Pie
Now, breadfruit pie may still be common but I assure you that my little variation is going to make you look for a breadfruit or two to try the recipe. So what did we do different? Well I thought of it similar to the Cassava and Saltfish Pie I did sometime ago that really hit the spot. So, I took to that train of thought; do a pie that is a simple main dish without the fuss. One pyrex dish of breadfruit pie and yuh good to go. Just make sure the pyrex dish is large enough because people will be coming back for seconds. That is a guarantee because I went back for seconds too. lol!!
Anyhow, variations and twists abound in this dish so I'll just leave you with a few suggestions.
- Change the meat. Instead of the minced beef you can use chicken, turkey or even saltfish
- Go all ital on it. Use a soya mince, try some lentils or make your own veggie mix that suits your taste ...I'm thinking of corn, sweet peppers, carrots, christophene and pumpkin; anything along those lines.
- Add a twist to the actual breadfruit by seasoning it with your favourite herbs...a nice roasted garlic or parsley will do the trick.
- Try various toppings. You can literally go to town with the toppings. Mix two or three different cheeses according to your taste or use some bread crumbs to give it a crust.
I'm nearly tempted to give you all a 5th suggestion but I'll stop there for now and see what you all did with these ideas for this breadfruit pie recipe. So,without further ado here's breadfruit pie trinistyle.
Breadfruit Pie Recipe
1 breadfruit (4 lbs) , peeled and cleaned
1 ½ lb of minced beef
1 cup evaporated milk
½ cup cheddar cheese
3 tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoon green seasoning
1 medium onion chopped
1 pimento pepper, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon Golden Ray Margarine
3 tablespoon tomato paste
1 sprig celery
3 sprigs fine leaf thyme
salt to taste
Grated Cheese for topping
12" x 8" x 2" baking dish
Wash, peel and boil breadfruit.
Note: Similarly to provision you test using a knife or ice pick.
Mash and add evaporated milk, butter and ½ cup cheese. Mix well.
Note: Texture here is all up to you. For a smoother pie, just mash until you don't have any more lumps.
Place pot over medium flame. Cook minced beef then add tomatoes, onion,
pimento pepper, celery, salt and fine leaf thyme.
Add tomato paste and green seasoning and continue cooking.
When the beef is nearly finished add the golden ray margarine.
TIME TO ASSEMBLE THE PIE
In a greased dish add one layer of breadfruit followed by a layer of beef. Complete with another layer of breadfruit.
Note: Before you spread the breadfruit divide it into two so you will have equal amounts for each layer.
Breadfruit is very sticky so make sure to wet the spoon you're using to spread the breadfruit.
Top with cheese...
Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese bubbles. Cool for 10 minutes then serve.
- 1 breadfruit 4 lbs , peeled and cleaned
- 1 ½ lb of minced beef
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 3 to matoes diced
- 2 tablespoon green seasoning
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pimento pepper minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Golden Ray Margarine
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 sprig celery
- 3 sprigs fine leaf thyme
- salt to taste
- Grated Cheese for topping
- 12 ″ x 8″ x 2″ baking dish
- Wash, peel and boil breadfruit.
- NOTE: Similarly to provision you test using a knife or ice pick.
- Mash and add evaporated milk, butter and ½ cup cheese. Mix well.
- Note: Texture here is all up to you. For a smoother pie, just mash until you don’t have any more lumps.
- Place pot over medium flame. Cook minced beef then add tomatoes, onion,
- pimento pepper, celery, salt and fine leaf thyme.
- Mix well.
- Add tomato paste and green seasoning and continue cooking.
- When the beef is nearly finished add the golden ray margarine.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE PIE
- In a greased dish add one layer of breadfruit followed by a layer of beef. Complete with another layer of breadfruit. Top with cheese.
- NOTE: Before you spread the breadfruit divide it into two so you will have equal amounts for each layer. Breadfruit is very sticky so make sure to wet the spoon you’re using to spread the breadfruit.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
- Cool for 10 minutes then serve.
So there we have it, breadfruit pie simple and easy. Anyhow, nothing beats a good meal than when you have an equally satisfying dessert to go with it. Stay tuned for an all natural dessert you can whip up in no time.
Don't forget to leave me a comment for this breadfruit pie when you're finished reading and tasting the pictures with your eyes lol!
Ah gone 🙂
Never had this...not a big fan if breadfruit but I'm willing to try if someone makes it 🙂
i love breadfruit, but pie? someone has to cook it for me first.
the first time I had this was at Gemma's restaurant in Tobago and it was sooo heavenly! I will definitely try this recipe! 🙂
had breadfruit soup made to day....it was delish!
is this made with the ripe breadfruit or a green one?
Wow.. Gina Rampersad so did I, and I keep wanting it everytime I visit Tobago. 🙂
Omg farz! It was the best!
Ria Frost Mua
hear nah!!!! THIS IS THE BEST!!!! along with yam pie, green fig pie....lolz
Never had it...but looks good!!
LOVE the recipes on this site! What a treat to find in my mail box every few days!
Question - I'm very loyal subscriber of many years now. Would never want to give it up. Can you tell me how, as a faithful subscriber, I could remove the mailing list sign up box from my screen? It doesn't move when I scroll across the page and it tends to obstruct the view.
Thanks for any thoughts!
OK I changed some settings. tell me if you're getting the same problem.
I saw this recipe this morning and smiled, literally two days before you posted this I had a breadfruit and was thinking of making a pie, I checked and saw that you didn't have a recipe for breadfruit pie and was wondering how come, but I made my pie any way. Nice post!!!
I was just replying to another post recently (6 Banana Ice Creams) and there seems to be a sort of coincidence in my posts and what readers are looking for on the site. Coincidence or not I hope you enjoy the recipe 🙂
Tried this and must compliment you on how easy it was to make based on your recipe, and very tasty. Looking forward to more like this!
hi ! Really want to try this ! Curious what the green seasoning might be ? Is it just green seasonings that I make up ? Thanks !
For the green seasoning recipe check here
I’m making this again today having used this recipe about a month ago and it turned out simply delicious! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe with breadfruit which is one of my favorite local carbs!