Following closely on the heels of stuffed sweet peppers, is vegetarian stuffed sweet peppers - a version everyone will like. Even a "meatarian" like myself have to agree that it tastes great. lol!! It's really delicious by itself or as a side dish to complement a main course meal. So why did I do this dish vegetarian style? Easy, Other than some of my fans requesting it I find myself more or less preparing for the season of Lent and this dish was fitting for that mode that I'm in presently. Mind you, I will still enjoy my J'ouvert this year lol!!..... and plans are on the way for that.
Vegetarian Stuffed Sweet Peppers
I never thought that vegetarian stuffed sweet peppers would have tasted that good. The size of each of these sweet peppers certainly qualified as a main meal by itself. It was certainly satisfying and had me going for seconds. And why shouldn't I be? After all, the recipe had a variety of ingredients, such as carrots, mushrooms, corn, rice, cheese ... How is this not filling? All these ingredients heightened the sweet taste of the sweet peppers. More importantly the stuffed sweet peppers were seasoned with fresh herbs such as parsley, chive, chadon beni, and celery. You know we can't forget Mr. Chadon Beni!
Due to the versatility of this veggie wonder, I believe you can choose any other type of vegetable or even a legume to stuff your sweet peppers. Make it your signature sweet peppers and tell us about it. I would love to hear from about your many different versions of stuffed sweet peppers. I could imagine someone making a curry pigeon peas, rice and diced geera pork stuffed sweet pepper. Nevertheless, I know at the end of it all, the creations would be very tasty and colourful, especially with the different colours of sweet peppers there are, the red, yellow, and green. This is definitely cooking with colour in mind.
This stuffed sweet pepper is not as simple looking as the last sweet pepper I stuffed with minced beef. There are going to be a few more steps but they're simple to follow once you apply yourself.
Here is Vegetarian Stuffed Sweet Peppers.
Vegetarian Stuffed Sweet Peppers Recipe
VEGETARIAN STUFFED SWEET PEPPERS
4 large sweet peppers, remove tops
2 tbsp. butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¾ cups mushrooms, chopped
½ cup carrots, finely chopped
¼ cup sweet peppers, finely chopped (taken from the top of the sweet peppers)
2 small pimento peppers, finely chopped
¾ cups corn kernels
½ tsp. green seasoning
5 leaves chadon beni, finely chopped
1 cup of rice, cooked
2 cups cheese, grated
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. celery
1 tsp. chive
Salt to taste
Grated cheese for topping
Boil rice and set aside.
Chop the carrots, garlic, onion and mushrooms.
Drain the corn and place in a bowl.
Wash and cut off the tops of the sweet pepper.
Note: Don't throw away the tops.
Take some of the tops and chop finely.
Sauté the pimento peppers, onions and garlic in the butter.
Then add the carrots and mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute.
Add the the mushrooms, carrots, sweet pepper, and pimento pepper.
Add the chadon beni, chive and parsley.
Add the corn kernels and seasonings and mix well. Turn off the fire.
Add the rice. Mix well.
Add the 1 cup of grated cheese. Mix well.
Arrange the sweet peppers in a greased baking dish,
add the veggie mixture and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Top with the remaining cheese and bake for another 5 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
More recipes to come.
Stuffed Sweet Peppers II (Vegetarian)
- 4 large sweet peppers remove tops
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ¾ cups mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup carrots finely chopped
- ¼ cup sweet peppers finely chopped (taken from the tops of the sweet peppers)
- 2 small pimento peppers finely chopped
- ¾ cups corn kernels
- ½ tsp. green seasoning
- 5 leaves chadon beni finely chopped
- 1 cup of rice cooked
- 2 cups cheese grated
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. celery
- 1 tsp. chive
- Salt to taste
- Grated cheese for topping
- Boil rice and set aside. Chop the carrots, garlic, onion and mushrooms. Drain the corn and place in a bowl. Wash and cut off the tops of the sweet pepper. Note: Don't throw away the tops Take some of the tops and chop finely.
- Saute the pimento peppers, onions and garlic in the butter. Then add the carrots and mushrooms and saute for 1 minute. Add the the mushrooms, carrots, sweet pepper, and pimento pepper, add the chadon beni, chive and parsley, add the corn kernels and seasonings. Mix well. Turn off the fire.
- Add the rice. Mix well. Add the 1 cup of grated cheese. Mix well. Arrange the sweet peppers in a greased baking dish, add the veggie mixture and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for another 5 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Don't forget to leave your comment about this vegetarian stuffed sweet peppers in the comment box below.