Vegetable macaroni pie is a recipe innovation that my wife did to sneak in some veggies for our son. Here's what she had to say....
It is no secret that I love macaroni pies and vegetables; so sooner or later I would have brought the two together for this fabulous vegetable macaroni pie. Now, my son's favourite dish is macaroni pie. He just loves to eat macaroni, spaghetti... all things made of flour. Adding vegetables just makes his favourite meal even better, without any complains whatsoever.
In the early's, my son had a restrictive diet (GFCF). This could be seen in the few GFCF recipes we posted. But, today it is very difficult to monitor his diet, he is older and he has access to many snacks on his own. So a gentle nudge and little encouragement, is what works to keep him eating a variety of foods.
Now the word "variety" is the key term here because if given the chance my son could make any meal homogeneous. For instance, if I cook fry fish he could eat only fry fish at one sitting and be content. It is weird! That's how he is. Not too much things at once on this boy's plate. He was the one who taught me about the number three.
You see, every thing good comes in threes. So you would notice that every featured recipe picture almost always showcase three things on the plate. I find it easy to organize, easy to capture its deliciousness and easy to look at.
So the feature recipe picture below has the following: a vegetable macaroni pie, Chinese-styled fry chicken, and a serving of lettuce. I did not have callaloo, but I have to say, serve a little callaloo with any variety of macaroni pie and you will be tasting a piece of heaven. You have got to try it! NOW, it is time for the recipe. I have carried on enough...
Vegetable Macaroni Pie Recipe
VEGETABLE MACARONI PIE
250 g. macaroni (you use shell or elbow macaroni as well)
Water to boil the macaroni
1 tbsp. butter
1 small floret (2 cups) broccoli, chopped
⅔ cup of whole corn
1 tbsp. tomato paste
½ cup onion, grated
1 medium carrot, small dice (1 cup)
2 red pimento peppers
1 tsp. black pepper
2 cups cheese
1 cup evaporated milk
3 leaves chadon beni, minced
1 tsp. green seasoning
2 tsp. mustard
1 tsp. parsley
Drain and add the butter to the hot macaroni. Add the broccoli, corn, onion, and peppers.
Top with the balance of grated cheese and garnish with your favourite seasoning.
Bake at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden.
Vegetable Macaroni Pie
- 250 g. macaroni you use shell or elbow macaroni as well
- Water to boil the macaroni
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 small floret 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- ⅔ cup of whole corn
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup onion grated
- 1 medium carrot small dice (1 cup)
- 2 red pimento peppers
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups cheese
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 leaves chadon beni minced
- 1 tsp. green seasoning
- 2 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. parsley
- Place water in a deep pot and put to boil. Add the macaroni and cook.
- Drain and add the butter to the hot macaroni. Add the broccoli, corn, onion, and peppers.
- Mix well.
- Add the mustard, tomato paste, black pepper and green seasoning.
- Add 1 ½ cups grated cheese and parsley and chadon beni.
- Beat the egg. Blend with the milk.
- Add the milk and egg and mix the ingredients well.
- Pour in a well greased 12″ x 7.5″ baking dish.
- Top with the balance of grated cheese and garnish with your favourite seasoning.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden.
Well, there you have it. A simple recipe to break back into cooking after all this time. Wonder what's going on? Nothing much, but you all know I'm always busy in the background with another recipe or two around the corner. So stay tuned.
Ah gone 🙂