A Fish Loaf is a remarkable healthy dish. It is also delicious and satisfying. This recipe is a basic fish loaf recipe, and like any loaf, you can place your own signature to it. For instance, some people would add a filling of some vegetable such as spinach, potato, etc.
However, I like it unfilled. For a more natural sweetness, you can add yellow and red sweet pepper. Also, you can make it more spicy, by adding some chopped mild red pepper. Serve this fish loaf with a vegetable and lettuce salad with a white sauce or a Tomato sauce and you have yourself a complete meal.
Fish Loaf Recipe
2 cups flaked steamed fish
2 tablespoon green seasoning
½ a lemon ( to wash fish)
2 tablespoon anchovy paste
4 cups breadcrumbs
1 ½ tablespoon grated onion
2 tablespoon parsley
2 tablespoon basil
5 leaves chadon beni, minced
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 pimento pepper, chopped finely
Salt to taste
Wash the fish with the juice of half a lemon.
Season with green seasoning and marinate for 30 minutes.
Place in a deep pot. Cover and steam for 20 minutes over a low flame. When done flake using a fork.
Note: This is how anchovy paste looks like. It comes in a tube and personally I think it is a bit salty so I didn't use much in the recipe. I got mine at Peppercorns in Maraval. I believe you can check Hilo as well for it.
Mix the rest of ingredients
Place in a greased dish
Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F or when stuck with a knife at the center comes out clean.
Note: For an added touch you can bake these in ramekins then serve with a fish sauce.
Here I'm having my fish loaf with sauteed vegetables and a fresh salad. Serves 8.
- 2 cups flaked steamed fish
- 2 tablespoon green seasoning
- ½ a lemon to wash fish
- 2 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoon grated onion
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoon basil
- 5 leaves chadon beni minced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pimento pepper chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Wash the fish with the juice of half a lemon.
- Season with green seasoning and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Place in a deep pot. Cover and steam for 20 minutes over a low flame. When done flake using a fork.
- Mix the rest of ingredients and place in a greased dish
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F or when stuck with a knife at the center comes out clean.