Let me take you on my little sweet potato casserole recipe escapade. But, before we reach there, you know ah have to talk ah lil bit....I have tasted casseroles or pies with potato, (local) yam, dasheen and cassava, but one provision I had not considered, until now, was sweet potato.
For the most, sweet potato would seem a bit too fibrous or, to my palate, a bit too sweet for a casserole, but to my surprise this starchy root-vegetable makes a delicious casserole or pie.
Had it not been for Miz Latoya C (Sunshine), one of my long standing fans, requesting this I would not have even ventured into doing a sweet potato recipe. And, I had a bit of a learning curve when it comes to sweet potato. All sweet potato are not equal.
The sweetness of sweet potato varies according to its colour: the red, purple, and orange varieties are more sweet than the white and pale yellow varieties. Therefore, if you want your sweet potato casserole mildly sweet you can combine the white and the orange, like I did.
I also added little bit of mashed potato, more for added body and to possibly mellow out the sweetness a bit as well. But, the mashed potato is optional. Just increase the amount of sweet potato by one cup.
Why Make a Sweet Potato Casserole
Why should you make a sweet potato casserole? Because it is healthy and good for you. I love casseroles, and I equally love sweet potato. On the healthy side, sweet potato is a star all by itself.
As I have learnt now, sweet potato is high in vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin A, D, C and potassium. And, even though it is sweet-tasting, its natural sugar does not cause a spike in one's blood sugar (good news for diabetics).
Its powerful antioxidants helps ward of cancer; protects against the effects of aging; and improves your overall immunity. Hmm! Looks like be having some more sweet potato casserole in my future. Anyhow, here's my trini style Sweet Potato Casserole. Enjoy.
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
4 ½ cups sweet potato, mashed
1 cup mashed potato (optional)
½ tsp black pepper
3 tbsp onion, grated
1 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp pimento, minced
2 tbsp flour
½ tbsp ginger, grated
2 tbsp butter
½ tbsp parsley or other seasonings of choice
¼ cup heavy whipping cream + 1 tbsp (optional: see note)
1 cup cheese, grated
and to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
Note: Here you can add other seasonings of choice.
Note: Here is where you can be creative. Add your favourite minced meat,
extra cheese, chopped almond nuts etc. As we say in trini "Just go to town wid it" lol!
Yield: 1 7" x 7" dish
Sweet Potato Casserole
- Boil the sweet potato in a deep pot on medium flame. Boil until a knife pierce through easily.
- Mash the sweet potato. Add the mashed potato. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet or pot, melt the butter on a low flame then add the garlic, ginger and onion. Cook until the onion gets translucent.
- Next, add the flour. Quickly combine.
- Then add the ¼ cup whipping cream all at once. Stir occasionally to avoid any lumps
- and to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
- Remove from the heat when the sauce is thick. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the chopped pimento peppers to the sweet potato mixture.
- Add the black pepper, parsley and the sauce. Mix well.
- Note: Here you can add other seasonings of choice.
- Next, add the sweet pepper and ½ cup of grated cheese. Mix well.
- Note: If you find the mixture is a bit dry, you may add an extra tablespoon of cream.
- Place mixture in a casserole dish and garnish with slices of sweet pepper.
- Sprinkle the rest of cheese on the top.
- Place in a preheated oven, 375 degrees F, and baked for 20-25 minutes. Serve cool.
See you soon with more scrumptious local recipes.
Ah gone 🙂