Since I got a great review of the Cassava and Saltfish Pie recipe by my facebook fans, I decided to do a baked potato pie recipe you all . Now, I have to distinguish between what kind of pie I'm talking about. This is because in Trini, a pie could mean ..
- A fried dough usually filled with meat or potatoes e.g potato or aloo pie
- A pastry that's filled with meat or cheese etc e.g beef pie, cheese pie
- A mixture of a starch (potato, cassava, yam) or pasta (macaroni) cheese, butter, egg, milk and seasonings baked in an oven e.g Macaroni Pie or Corn Pie
- Or more internationally known "A baked dish which is usually made of a pastry dough casing that covers or completely contains a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredients" e.g. Apple pie, Chicken pot pie etc
So you see my predicament and so it is with many other words we have in Trinidad and Tobago many of which is just normal everyday talk. Here's an example of a word that's confused: Saffron. When we say saffron in Trini we actually mean Turmeric or Hardi. I have no idea how this came to be...I don't even have an answer for that one. Is so ah meet it lol!!
On the topic of pies I have a little rant....I just find that some bakeries in Trinidad does real skimp on the filling when making their pastry pies. Sometimes the beef pies just have a beef flavoured, floury, filling and no meat at all. Like my father in law would say, "like de cow just pass through?" Hahaha lol!! When I bite into a savoury and ever flaky beef pie, I want to taste and see some minced beef in there too. So, put some meat in de pies please allyuh! lol!! ....Ok now I feel better. 🙂
Anyhow, not to confuse you anymore, here's Baked Potato Pie.
Potato Pie Recipe
1 ½ lbs potato
1 cup cheese + extra for topping
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup whole kernel corn
¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
½ medium onion, chopped finely
1 pimento pepper, chopped finely
2 tablespoon butter
1 ½ cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoon flour
1 red sweet pepper
parsley and paprika for garnish
Wash and boil potatoes, then peel and cut into cubes. Set aside.
Make the white sauce:
Melt the butter, add the pimento pepper, onion and flour. Let simmer for 1 minute.
Add the milk and stir until it thickens, then turn off stove
Add the mushrooms and whole kernel corn to the cubed potatoes.
Pour the white sauce over the potatoes and mix.
Add the cheese, celery and sweet pepper and mix evenly
Note: For the cheese I grated 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese to mix and I used grated Parmesan on the top
Place the mixture in a greased dish 12" x 8" x 2".
Top with grated cheese and garnish with parsley and paprika.
Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes. Serve cool.
There you have it one delicious, unconfused, baked potato pie waiting to be eaten with glee. 🙂
More recipes to come.
Why don't you facebook like my potato pie recipe and spread the good news!
Potato Pie (Baked)
- 1 ½ lbs potato
- 1 cup cheese + extra for topping
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup whole kernel corn
- ¼ cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ medium onion chopped finely
- 1 pimento pepper chopped finely
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 red sweet pepper
- Parsley and paprika for garnish
- Wash and boil potatoes. Peel and cut into cubes. Set aside.
- MAKE THE WHITE SAUCE: Melt the butter, add the pimento pepper, onion and flour. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the milk and stir until it thickens, then turn off stove. Add the mushrooms and whole kernel corn to the cubed potatoes
- Pour the white sauce over the potatoes and mix. Add the cheese, celery and sweet pepper and mix evenly
- Place in a greased dish 12" x 8" x 2". Top with grated cheese and garnish with parsley and paprika.
- Note: For the cheese I grated 1 cup of Cheddar Cheese to mix and I used grated Parmesan on the top.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes. Serve cool.