Want a little more fibre in your diet? Then you need to try this pumpkin macaroni pie recipe. How it's done, you won't really taste the pumpkin too much but it's there helping you you along. When I first heard about it I wondered about the taste and if it would really peak my interest. I said to myself Ok I would try the idea and to my surprise it really tasted delicious. Personally I would have preferred to use a sweeter vegetable like carrot in the mix but in the end the pumpkin made the cut.
This is something I'm learning about pumpkin these days. I call him humble but important. He may not be the life of the party but somehow you still want him around to help you and he won't mind going the extra mile to help you. Look at the pumpkin ponche de cremefor example, It gave the drink the body you wanted without the extra calories that egg would give you. Plus you also get the added benefit of some vitamins and of course some fibre.
We could all use some fibre in our diet everyday and this pumpkin macaroni pie is the best bet to sneak in some wholesome fibre and some vitamins for everyone in your family. And with all the cheese and the sweet pepper garnish distracting you from what going on really you won't even think you're eating healthy. Here's pumpkin macaroni pie.
PUMPKIN MACARONI PIE
1 pk macaroni (400g)
1 ½ cups pumpkin, grated
1 ½ cups cheese, grated
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 small onion, chopped
1 ½ tbsp. ketchup
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 pimento pepper, finely chopped
½ tsp. white pepper
pepper to taste
salt to taste
1 small red sweet pepper, sliced (garnish)
Note: It is normal for the milk to form a "skin" while it cools. So don't worry too much about that.bowl. Then add the grated pumpkin.
Note: You would notice that we used raw grated pumpkin and not cooked pumpkin. This was to avoid overcooking the pumpkin and not deriving much nutritional value from the vegetable.
Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
Bake in 350 degrees F oven till golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes then Serve.
Well that takes care of your macaroni pie for Christmas. More recipes to come as usual....Yes, they coming at yuh, break neck speed. Leave a comment for pumpkin macaroni pie if you like.
Pumpkin Macaroni Pie
- 1 pk macaroni 400g
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin grated
- 1 ½ cups cheese grated
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. ketchup
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 pimento pepper finely chopped
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 small red sweet pepper sliced (garnish)
- Make the White Sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan or pot over a very low fire.
- Add onion and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour gradually to a smooth paste.
- Pour in the milk. Continue stirring.
- Add white pepper.
- Allow to simmer until thick. Stir gradually. Set aside.
- Note: It is normal for the milk to form a “skin” while it cools. So don’t worry too much about that.
- Boil macaroni. Drain. Place in a deep bowl. Then add the grated pumpkin. Mix well.
- Note: We used raw grated pumpkin and not cooked pumpkin. This was to avoid overcooking the pumpkin and not deriving much nutritional value from the vegetable.
- Add the white sauce, Angostura bitters, ketchup, celery, pimento, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Pour mixture in a well greased casserole dish.
- Garnish with sweet pepper and the remainder of cheese.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven till golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes then Serve.
Ah gone 🙂