Lentil loaf is a wonderfully delicious. I can safely say that lentil peas are the least favorite of legumes for many people - well, as far as I know. I can also say that these same people may have eaten the peas in one way too often. But this popular legume has been in the human diet for a very long time. It is nutritious; an excellent source of protein, dietary fibre, vitamins B1, folate, iron, vitamin K and minerals. It helps prevent heart diseases, and is perfect for adolescents and menstruating or pregnant women.
We generally stew lentil peas with chicken (or any other meat) and serve it with rice or dumplings, or make lentil peas soup. This is a complete protein dish.However, when I have had enough of these combination my wife and I make a lentil loaf. This dish is enjoyable to prepare: preparation is simple and it smells wonderful while it is cooking. The different ingredients give it its varied, delicious aromas.
Lentil Loaf Recipe
This lentil loaf is a filling dish all by itself, but it also makes a good side dish. I encourage you to try this recipe, especially if you have never made a lentil loaf before. I guarantee you that you will find it to be a tasty and filling meal.
8 ozs. Lentils, soaked overnight in 4 cups water
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
2 large tomatoes (or 4 medium sized), skinned and sliced
1 carrot, coarsely grated
2 onions, finely chopped
2 sweet peppers, finely chopped
1-1½ cup soft breadcrumbs (keto or gluten free breadcrumbs)
2 cloves of garlic
½ tsp. salt
1 hot pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1 blade chive, finely chopped
1 sprig of thyme, finely chopped
½ cup grated cheese (optional)
2 apples, peeled and grated
Cook lentils in some water until soft and water is absorbed. Mash with a fork and beat until smooth.
Heat oil in frying pan and fry onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrot, sweet peppers, apples, chive and thyme until soft.
When cooked, add mixture to lentil together with salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Bind together with egg. (If you wish you can add about ¼ cup of cheese to the mixture). Adjust salt to taste.
Press the final mixture in a greased loaf tin. Sprinkle the remainder of the grated cheese on the top. Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with green salad, vegetables, potatoes or rice and gravy.
The finished lentil loaf.
Here, I used it as a side dish along with rice, fried fish fillet, and a lettuce salad.
If you like this recipe, you will also like our lentil patties.
Note: Don't forget to leave your comment about lentil loaf in the comment box below.
- 8 ozs. Lentils soaked overnight in 4 cups water
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes or 4 medium sized, skinned and sliced
- 1 carrot coarsely grated
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 sweet peppers finely chopped
- 1-1½ cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 hot pepper finely chopped (optional)
- 1 blade chive finely chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme finely chopped
- ½ cup grated cheese optional
- 2 apples peeled and grated
- Cook lentils in some water until soft and water is absorbed. Mash with a fork and beat until smooth.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrot, sweet peppers, apples, chive and thyme until soft. Add mixture to lentil together with salt, pepper and bread crumbs.
- Bind together with egg. (If you wish you can add about ¼ cup of cheese to the mixure). Adjust salt to taste.
- Press the final mixture in a greased loaf tin. Sprinkle the remainder of the grated cheese on the top.
- Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.