A few years ago I did fish cakes using potatoes, this year I decided to do some substitutions and made breadfruit fish cakes using some breadfruit I had in the refrigerator and some saltfish that were begging to be used. After a few minutes of boiling and mashing and doing some seasoning of the mixture I came up with this creation.
I really like playing with breadfruit to see what other recipes I could invent or reinvent or twist to my will. In the past we have done some incredible twists coming up with breadfruit pie, breadfruit salad, roast breadfruit and saltfish and who could forget the wonderful and patriotic pic I did with the breadfruit fritters. Not forgetting the traditional dish of breadfruit oil down as well, I say we have done justice to using this locally grown fruit, but I will not rest until I have totally exhausted the gamut of recipe ideas I could use breadfruit in.
For the while though I will leave you to savour these tantalizing breadfruit fish cakes before I move on to more creative inventions. Here's breadfruit fish cakes .....Doh touch it as yet, it still hot.
BREADFRUIT FISH CAKES
2 cups boiled and mashed breadfruit
2 cups boiled and flaked saltfish
1 medium onion, chopped
4 sprigs chive, chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, grated
2 pimento peppers, diced finely
a dash of paprika
pepper to taste
panko breadcrumbs for dusting
coconut oil for frying
bowl mix the breadfruit, saltfish, chive, onion, garlic, pepper and paprika.
In our case we made both logs and flat cakes.
Hope you liked my simple breadfruit fish cakes recipe.
Breadfruit Fish Cakes
- 2 cups boiled and mashed breadfruit
- 2 cups boiled and flaked saltfish
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 sprigs chive chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic grated
- 2 pimento peppers diced finely
- a dash of paprika
- pepper to taste
- panko breadcrumbs for dusting
- coconut oil for frying
- Boil and mash the breadfruit.
- Boil and flake the saltfish making sure to squeeze out excess salt.
- In a deep bowl mix the breadfruit, saltfish, chive, onion, garlic, pepper and paprika.
- Pick up about 4tbsp of the mixture, shape into desired form and roll in panko breadcrumbs.
- In our case we made both logs and flat cakes.
- Fry until golden and drain on paper towels. Serve with dip of choice.
Ah gone again 🙂