This beef soup recipe was long in the planning and was based on a request I got from Tamica, a facebook fan of mine. As you all may have remembered I always talk about memory attached to foods be it one of happiness or of someone or even an event. I think beef soup surely has this effect on many people as well.
A Memorable Beef Soup
Whenever I think of beef soup I think of my neighbour. For me I still think she makes the best beef soup I've ever tasted. With all that provision and vegetables punctuated by some bite sized chunks of beef it was just the meal you would look forward to on a Saturday, after cooking rice dishes for the week.
Now, when you think of soup you would normally think of a light soup that may be an appetizer like the cream of pumpkin soup I did yesterday. But in Trinidad and Tobago, a soup is definitely a main course dish since it is made thicker for instance like a Sancoche. This homemade beef soup follows along the same tradition of thick and rich Trini soups that we have grown so accustomed to.
So do enjoy this easy soup recipe and above all have fun cooking. Here's Beef Soup.
Beef Soup Recipe
1 lb beef
½ onion, chopped finely
2 pimento pepper, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1 tsp. salt
2 leaves big leaf thyme
1 sprig fine leaf thyme
8 leaves chadon beni
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 /2 lb yam, peeled and diced
1 carrot, diced
½ cup split peas, soaked overnight
Wash the beef in water with lime juice added. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
Pressure cook the beef, carrot and split peas in about three cups of water for about 25 minutes or until the beef is cooked and the split peas "bursts".
Note: Any type of provision could be used.
In a separate pot boil the yam and potatoes.
The beef looks cooked now. Swizzle the peas a bit with a dhal gutney.
Add the yam and potatoes and simmer for another five minutes.
Adjust salt to taste. Serve hot.
- 1 lb beef
- 3 cups water
- 1 lime
- ½ onion chopped finely
- 2 pimento pepper chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- ½ - 1 tsp. salt
- 2 leaves big leaf thyme
- 1 sprig fine leaf thyme
- 8 leaves chadon beni
- 3 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 /2 lb yam peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- ½ cup split peas soaked overnight
- Wash the beef in water with lime juice added. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Season with onion, garlic, pimento pepper, salt, big leaf thyme, fine leaf thyme and chadon beni. Mix and marinate for 1 hour.
- Pressure cook the beef, carrot and split peas in about three cups of water for about 25 minutes or until the beef is cooked and the split peas "bursts". (If you like your carrots firm, add it later).
- In a separate pot boil the yam and potatoes. (Note: Any type of provision could be used).
- Swizzle the peas a bit with a dhal gutney. Add the yam and potatoes and simmer for another five minutes. Adjust salt to taste. Serve hot.
See how easy this beef soup recipe was? I'm sure anyone can try it with great results.
So, Tamica got her beef soup request done and everyone else have gotten a hearty beef soup recipe to try for the weekend. Do continue to send your requests and I'll be happy to do them.
Until then, Ah gone!
Don't forget to leave your comments about this beef soup recipe in the comment box below.