Macaroni Pie is one of the first dishes many teen aged Trinis learn to cook, actually this was the first dish that I learnt on my own.
Macaroni Pie = simplicity + versatility
This easy dish is certainly a good starter for young budding cooks. And, as they come to it they may put their own style to it. They may add minced beef cooked in tomato sauce and fresh herbs as a filling for the pie, or as a topping with the cheese. They may also add vegetables such as grated carrots, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, or broccoli to it. And, it can also be made without eggs for vegetarians. Starting from this basic recipe, macaroni pie could carry one to other worlds of taste.
My macaroni pie recipe
The diversity of a Trini macaroni pie is remarkable. Some people put a teaspoon of lemon juice to "cut" the freshness of the egg. You can also omit the egg and use less cheese. If you do this you can substitute it with a white sauce. The white sauce must be of a smooth thickness. However, I love macaroni pie for its simplicity and ease in preparation. It takes about ¾ of an hour to prepare and bake.
1 pack macaroni, about 20 oz
2-3 tsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. Butter
¾ cup evaporated milk
1 lb. cheese, grated
1 small onion, finely grated
1 tsp. parsley
1 sprig of chive, finely chopped
½ tsp. paprika
1 tsp. bitters
a dash of favorite seasonings
salt and pepper sauce to taste
Boil the macaroni a little water for about 10 minutes (until it is slightly cooked) and drain.
Add the egg, tomato paste, milk and cheese. Mix well.
Add herbs, bitters, pepper, etc. to the macaroni and mix well.
In a greased baking dish pour the mixture and sprinkle cheese over the top.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
That's it for this post. Thanks again for stopping by!
Please leave me a comment and tell me how your macaroni pie tasted.
- 1 pack macaroni about 20 oz
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. butter unsalted
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1 lb. cheese grated
- 1 small onion finely grated
- 1 pimento
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 sprig of chive finely chopped
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. bitters
- A dash of favorite seasonings
- Salt and pepper sauce to taste
- In water, cook the macaroni for about 10 minutes and drain.
- Add the butter into the hot macaroni and mix until melted. Add the egg, tomato paste, milk and cheese. Mix well. Stir in herbs, bitters, and pepper to the macaroni.
- Pour in a greased baking dish and sprinkle cheese over the top. Garnish slightly.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.