I've said it before, and I'd say it again; I love a macaroni pie more so coconut macaroni pie. That is why I'm always looking for new ways to make a macaroni pie so everyone can enjoy it. This one is long overdue! This coconut macaroni pie was one of my ideas for which I substituted the milk with coconut milk. My goal was a macaroni pie with a a little coconut flavour.
Coconut milk is always a good substitute for milk, be it cow's milk or even soy milk or almond milk because it is thick and creamy. Just don't soak the grated coconut meat in too much water. So when you squeeze and strain the coconut meat it would be more creamy and thick, much like full cream milk, but without lactose.
However, I cannot guarantee that this recipe is lactose free because of the cheese. You will be glad to know that most cheese (especially aged cheese such as Cheddar, Parmesan and Swiss) still has a trace level of 5 grams of lactose, a level most people could tolerate. Anyway, back to coconut milk... You know, coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in lauric acid so don't shy away from this delicious option.
Coconut Macaroni Pie Recipe
Now, this recipe is quite simple, not much ingredients are usually needed for this comfort food. However, I chose to make a sauce with the coconut milk. I wanted all the onion and pimento to blend well in the coconut sauce. I added the cheese later to the dish not to the sauce. Here is my version of Coconut Macaroni Pie.
COCONUT MACARONI PIE
200 g macaroni (pasta)
3 cups cheddar cheese, divided
⅓ cup onion, small diced
1 ½ cups coconut milk
1 tablespoon pimento pepper
2 tablespoon butter
1 ½ tablespoon flour
1 tsp. parsley
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon mustard
¼ teaspoon Angostura bitters
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Boil the macaroni. Strain and set aside.
butter in a deep pot.
Preheat oven at 400 degrees F then bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 mins
or until golden and the macaroni has absorbed the oil (from the cheese).
Coconut Macaroni Pie
- 200 g macaroni pasta
- 3 cups cheddar cheese divided
- ⅓ cup onion small diced
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pimento pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ tablespoon flour
- 1 tsp. parsley
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Angostura bitters
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Boil the macaroni. Strain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a deep pot.
- Saute the onion and pimento until the onions are translucent and the pimento is cooked.
- Remove the pot from the flame and mix in the flour.
- Pour in the coconut milk. Return the pot to heat and stir constantly.
- Cook until thick. Set aside.
- Add the ketchup and mustard to the macaroni then the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the coconut milk sauce and 2 cups of cheese. Mix well. Pour the mixture into a well greased baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F then bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 mins
- or until golden and the macaroni has absorbed the oil (from the cheese).
- Serve cool.
There you have it. Coconut macaroni pie; a simple but effective twist on an age old trini recipe. Hope you enjoy!
Of course comments are always welcome.
Ah Gone 🙂