When I think of pink vegetable rice I think of Christmas, because of the bright pinkish colour of the rice. It was not always like this, the first time I saw the rice, I wondered how the hell the cook manage to get that rice so pink. I thought it was food colouring, but I was seriously mistaken. I was swiftly corrected, it was beet root.
Really! I could see rice turning pink with beetroot. In an earlier post, I had made use of a lot of beetroot. I had made a punch, a tonic drink and a salad. At one time, I even wanted to make a velvet cake with beetroot, but my focus wavered as I could not get a correct balance for the ingredients, at least to my liking. That is a recipe I am still working on to this day.
A Pink Vegetable Rice Recipe
Now, this recipe was a lot simplier than the red velvet cake recipe. The method for cooking any rice dish is quite familiar, and can be mastered easily. This dish is also delicious and pairs well with many other side dishes. I paired it with chicken in mushroom sauce and a green salad. The colours are indeed festive and says Christmas all over!
PINK VEGETABLE RICE
1 cup rice
1 cup diced carrot
½ cup diced onion
¼ cup celery chopped
2-3 tbsp. grated beetroot
½ cup corn
½ cup chopped sweet pepper
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 pimento chopped
Oil to saute (about 1 tbsp)
Salt to taste
First, prepare all the ingredients. Boil the rice and set aside.
Pink Vegetable Rice
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup diced carrot
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup celery chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. grated beetroot
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup chopped sweet pepper
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 pimento chopped
- Oil to saute about 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- First, prepare all the ingredients. Boil the rice and set aside.
- Chop your ingredients and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot.
- Saute the onion in the oil for 3 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Then add the chopped carrots chopped sweet pepper, corn and grated beetroot.
- Add the chopped celery. Mix well.
- Finally, add the rice to the vegetables and mix until an even colour is achieved.
- Add a little salt to taste. Garnish with chopped chive.
See how easy that was? And now you can go wow your friends and say you thought of the idea all by yourself lol. So if you guessed right the last time then hats off to you. And always look at the pictures closely.
Ah gone again 🙂