Pineapple is not the type of ingredient you will find in a traditional trini pot cooking away with rice. Let alone pineapple, bacon and rice. But, by expanding my cuisine/ cooking/ taste horizons through the past few years, I have learnt to embrace the many subtle, bold, exciting and curious ingredient combinations that there are into my schema. Hmm! Sounded like I was still in University lol!! Piaget anyone ? 🙂
In all the lovely food chaos I was into, there were dishes that truly worked my taste buds, taking them for a ride. And , there were those dishes that I wouldn't even imagine touching with a five foot fork. But, those are still foreign tastes that I may stomach and try when I'm feeling adventurous.....but may still vomit hahaha .....For a good example what I'm talking about google balut .....Philippines here I come lol 🙂
Anyhow, we have a marriage of tastes for you today in this pineapple, bacon and rice recipe. I really like this combination.....Maybe it's the deeply ingrained taste associated with eating a Mario's Pizza with pepperoni and pineapple back in the 80's or it could be that I did a pineapple and sausage skewers appetizer many moons ago that reminded me of such a wonderful taste the salty smoked meat had with the fruity sweet of the pineapple.
Nevertheless, the taste memory is there and to my trini tongue it is all good. To other tongues it may be an acquired taste but you'll get it, eventually. In the mean time here's pineapple, bacon and rice, enjoy.
PINEAPPLE, BACON AND RICE
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups fresh or frozen green beans or pigeon peas
1 cup pineapple chunks
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp each fine leaf thyme, parsley, chadon beni
¼ tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
1 ½ cup bacon or meat of choice, chopped
salt to taste
Note: You can use any meat of choice like ham, bacon, turkey or even leftovers.
rice and seasonings (fine leaf thyme, parsley, chadon beni
red pepper flakes) mix well. Adjust salt to taste. Serve hot with a side of fresh green salad if you like.
Pineapple, Bacon and Rice
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans or pigeon peas
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp each fine leaf thyme parsley, chadon beni
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes crushed
- 1 ½ cup bacon or meat of choice chopped
- salt to taste
- Boil rice, drain and set aside.
- Boil the peas until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Chop the pineapple
- Chop the meat and set aside.
- Note: You can use any meat of choice like ham, bacon, turkey or even leftovers.
- Saute the onion and garlic.
- Then add the meat of choice and the peas. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the pineapple. Stir.
- Add the rice and seasonings (fine leaf thyme, parsley, chadon beni
- red pepper flakes) mix well. Adjust salt to taste.
- Serve hot with a side of fresh green salad if you like.
Well that's it for this fine pineapple, bacon and rice recipe.
Ah gone 🙂