One way to waste food is by not not following food safety guidelines. Also, food do spoil over time; and it can become a health hazard if you find yourself eating spoiled food. Food safety is especially important for to following at home while cooking and more so in commercial kitchens where more people could become ill after consuming contaminated food. So, here are 10 good ideas to keep food safer and longer, naturally.
10 Ideas to naturally keep food safe and last longer
- Keep food clean. Food is kept safe by following these basics: wash hands and surfaces where food is prepared or eaten; don't cross-contaminate; cook food to proper temperatures and refrigerate food once cooked and not being eaten.
- Separate raw and cooked food. Cook and uncooked food are incompatible and can interfere with digestion. Thus cover and place raw food in securely in bags or a sealed container.
- Keep food at safe temperature. Some items such as mayonnaise has to be refrigerated after you open the bottle or they spoil. It is wise to buy smaller quantities of such items. Safe temperatures are 5 degrees C or colder or 60 degrees c or hotter. This will help prevent food-poisonings bacteria.
- Use safe water and raw materials. Also make sure food is double wrapped to protect from freezer burns. All refrigerated food should be properly sealed and kept in its original package or in a properly labeled clean wrapper.
- It is important to note the expiry date of all products so that you consume the old food before the new. For example, frozen seafood frozen must be used within seven days. Take the expiry date on the food seriously. Make sure it is eaten within the time. Make sure also, that leftovers are refrigerated no more than 2 hours afte cooking.
- Place bay leaves in the pantry to keep pests away. When placed in containers that hold rice, flour, beans or cereal, it keeps the weevils out.
- Basil leaves and cucumber peels help keep ants away.
- Herbs and pepper can be hung to dry.
- Refrigerate lettuce leaves in a container with a little water. The lettuce leaves stay fresher and crispier longer.
- Freeze liquid milk. Note that dairy milk freezes better than the other types of milk. Non-dairy milk, such as almond milk, soy milk and coconut milk will separate and some look grainy during freezing. Also, do not freeze dairy milk in the can.
Food Safety Guidelines Resources
Food safety does not end here with these 10 points. Here are some more information you can refer to help you keep your food safer and longer.
Food safety guidelines are important for everyone who care about their health and the health of others.
You will also like: