Ok, this eggless macaroni pie recipe is for my vegetarian/ rastafarian readers: perhaps I could safely say it is macaroni pie gone "ital". LOL! Anyway, I felt I wasn't doing enough to cater to my vegetarian readers, so I decided to post this eggless macaroni pie recipe.
A Sunday Eggless Macaroni Pie
Macaroni pie is truly a staple in trini cooking, especially on Sundays. In fact, in my very first attempt at cooking on my own, I made a macaroni pie. It came out wonderful: nice and golden with a little crispiness at the top. Of course this was because I grated a little extra cheese ( I just love cheese!!) ... Oh! and from day one I was experimenting, because I remember adding some slices of sausage on top of the cheese which wasn't really an ingredient in the recipe..... So you see this macaroni dish is special to me.
Now we come to this variation of our famous trini macaroni pie. Eggless macaroni pie is just as simple as the ordinary macaroni pie we make in Trinidad. The only difference is that to bind the macaroni we'll use a thick sauce. To make it even thicker and more effective, we will also add extra cheese ( more cheese yummy!). The sauce is the same white sauce we usually make for lasagna, lasagna rolls, yam pie etc. It's simple and easy to follow.
Well, let's begin. Shall we? Enough of me talking. Here's eggless macaroni pie: made especially for my vegetarian readers and Rastafarian brethren. Enjoy!
Eggless Macaroni Pie
EGGLESS MACARONI PIE
1 pk. macaroni 20 oz
2½ cups grated cheddar cheese
1 pimento pepper, chopped finely
1½ cup evaporated milk, at room temperature
2 tbsp. butter
1½ tbsp. flour
½ tsp. white or black pepper
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. parsley
1 tsp. tomato paste
Boil the macaroni, drain and set aside.
Melt the butter over a medium flame. Then add the flour while stirring continuously. Let cook for about 1 minute. Try to break up the lumps of flour.
Add the milk and stir.
Add the grated cheese and stir into a smooth paste. To avoid burning, lower the flame.
Add the cheese sauce to the boiled macaroni and mix thoroughly.
Add the seasonings and tomato paste and mix again.
Pour the macaroni mixture in a greased baking dish 12 x 8 x 2 inches. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
Note: Here I wouldn't give an exact measurement. Just grate enough to cover the surface. You could also sprinkle a bit of parsley on the cheese like we did!
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the top looks golden. Serve cool.
Eggless Macaroni Pie FAQs:
- How long should I cook the roux? The roux should be cooked for a few minutes, don't let it get darker. As soon as the roux has thicken, remove from the heat.
- What variation are there for this recipe? You can use three different types of cheese in this meal such as cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
Thinking to my self.....Since dis came out so delicious, ah think ah go have to venture into some veggie recipes for real...maybe ah lil soya someting or a cook up with peas and beans an' some coconut milk ....then ah could try a ......
[Since this came out so delicious I think I will have to venture into doing some more vegetarian recipes...maybe something with soya chunks in it or a dish with peas and beans in a coconut sauce...then I could try....]
Ah gone! Jah! 🙂
Don't forget to leave your comment about this eggless macaroni pie in the comment box below.
Eggless Macaroni Pie
- 1 pk 20 oz macaroni*
- 2 ½ cups grated cheese
- 1 pimento pepper chopped finely
- 1 ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- ½ tsp white or black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp parsley dried or 1 tsp. fresh
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Boil the macaroni, drain and set aside.
- Add the milk and stir. Add the grated cheese and stir into a smooth paste. Note: To avoid burning, lower the flame.
- Add the cheese sauce to the boiled macaroni and mix thoroughly. Add the seasonings and tomato paste and mix again. Pour the macaroni mixture in a greased baking dish 12 x 8 x 2 inches.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top. Note: Here I wouldn't give an exact measurement. Just grate enough to cover the surface.
- You could also sprinkle a bit of parsley on the cheese like we did! Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the top looks golden. Serve cool.