What is a good dhal puri without a little curry chicken at the side? That's the question I asked myself when we were making the dhal puri. So I decided to make some, since I didn't post that recipe as yet. So here it is nice and simple; so simple, I nearly didn't think of it as a recipe to post, but then, what is second nature for me may not be so with someone else. I always have to remind myself of that.
A Curry Chicken Recipe
You may have to excuse some of the conventions I used for the recipe, because I used the chicken parts that come in those little trays, and then I separated the ingredients because I had to season the meat first. This will give you an idea of how we season the meat in the Caribbean before currying. I hope you enjoy this simple recipe for curry chicken.
1 pound or 2 packs chicken parts
1 tablespoon curry powder (to season)
1 tablespoon salt (to season)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ tablespoon curry & 1 tablespoon green seasoning* (to cook)
3 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
* if you do not have green seasoning you can use
1 onion chopped
1 sprig thyme and
1 chive chopped
Cut the chicken into small pieces. Season well. Allow to marinate for about 30 minutes. For best result, overnight.
Heat oil and add the garlic. Mix ½ tablespoon of curry powder with 1 tablespoon of green seasoning*, 3 tablespoons of water. Add to hot oil and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
Allow to curry to reduce to a thick paste. Stir constantly to avoid burning.
Add the seasoned chicken to the pot. Stir to coat with the curry.
Add water. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and leave to simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender. Check the water level in the pot occasionally. You don't want the water drying out before time.
Here we have the finished curry chicken. I did it a little dry (bonje) but if you want
you could leave a little water for sauce.
See how simple it was. The curry chicken is now ready to go with the dhal puri. That's it for another post; see you soon.
P.S. I updated this recipe with even more vivid pictures in a later post. To see it click here
- 1 lb or 2 packs chicken parts
- 1 tbsp. curry powder to season
- 1 tsp. salt to season the meat
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tbsp. curry & 1 tbsp. green seasoning* to cook
- 4 tbsp. oil
- 3 tbsp.water
- Pepper to taste
- Note: If you do not have green seasoning you can use: 1 onion chopped 1 sprig thyme and 1 chive chopped
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Season well. Allow to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and add the garlic. Mix ½ tbsp. curry powder with 1 tbsp. green seasoning, and 3 tbsp. water.
- Add to hot oil and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Allow to curry and reduce to a thick paste. Stir constantly to avoid burning.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the pot. Stir to coat with the curry. Add water salt and pepper. Cover and leave to simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender. Serve hot.