Three-Grain Almond Bread

This three-grain almond bread, more a quick bread, reminds me of coconut sweet bread.  When I first got this recipe, I felt I had to try it, but I did not expect the delicious results I got.  The thing about it it that it does not contain any sugar – and you actually don’t miss the the sugar. The sweetness in it is natural, from the raisins.

The Three Grains in this Bread

The three grains in this bread is wheat flour, oatmeal and cornmeal.  These whole grains make this three grain bread a healthy option, especially when compared to the commercialized white breads.  This way you end up eating less refined carbohydrates and include more whole-grain in your diet  Whole grains are a great source of fiber and a number of nutrients such as selenium, potassium and magnesium.

Three-Grain Almond Bread Recipe

So here is three grain almond bread.  Simple and natural; Enjoy!…

three-grain almond bread

THREE-GRAIN ALMOND BREAD

1 cup flour (combine 1/4 cup wheat flour and 3/4 cup all purpose flour)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup + 3 tbsp low-fat milk
1 1/4 cup minced raisins
2/3 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup almond powder
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt (optional)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp almond essence
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Note: There are basically three types of oats available in the supermarket.  Steel cut oats, rolled oats, and quick or instant oats.  Quick and instant oats (as the name implies) cook the fastest. In this recipe we used Country Harvest Old Fashioned Rolled Oats.

Combine flour, oats, cornmeal, dry milk, sugar, almond powder, baking powder and salt.

Note: We couldn’t find almond powder so we just placed almonds in a food chopper until it was ground fine.

Mix in the raisins.

Cut in the butter until mixture consists of small particles.

Beat egg and milk together and pour into flour mixture.

Stir well and …

… pour into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins or until done.

Remove from pan after 10 minutes.

Print this recipe.

Well that’s it for our wholesome three-grain almond bread; more to come.

Ah gone :)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to Three-Grain Almond Bread

1. Zach Za October 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Naparima girls high school cook book. The gold standard for local cuisine. Every should have one.

2. Zach Za October 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

You really wanna know?

3. Zach Za October 1, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

Bring the coolie man food . Authentic local. Made by coolie for coolie. Bread the f**king world is fulla bread.

• wizzy October 8, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Lovely combination of grains. Looks quite hearty and substantial quite unlike our soft commercial white bread. Definitely worth trying out.

4. Simply Trini Cooking October 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

I am not a “coolie man” (to be more accurate of East Indian descent). There are other types of races here in Trinidad and Tobago. Don’t be like that.

5. Zach Za October 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

You are coolie? I am coolie. What type of races? East of india. Why are there some many stigma toward black skin coolies? Eat coolie food drink coolie wine anf live long.

• shanti October 1, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

“Coolie” means PORTER

6. Simply Trini Cooking October 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

????

7. Zach Za October 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm #

Please get a copy Naparima girls high school cook book.

8. Ian Ross October 1, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Felix ignore dat madman. Zach is clearly a mental patient.

9. Jus Carissa October 1, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

I love this page and would love it even more if crazy people did not have access smh cannot even communicate properly and trying to make nonsence into sence

10. Tara James October 1, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

I was told the meaning of Coolie is someone who carries Load on their back. :) i tried the bread and it taste great.

11. Hazel Cummings October 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

That moron can be serious ehh Felix….leave the clown to his own devises….

12. Shellyann October 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

I am quite surprised by Zach’s behaviour and going so far as to use obscenity. Ignore the haters.
    Felix many of us enjoy your recipes and we greatly appreciate the job that you do thereby filling a void.
    My family and I greatly enjoy your recipes and I will go as far as saying the Naparima
    cookbook don’t want anything with you.

• Felix October 7, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Thank you Shellyann. I feel honoured :)

13. sunshine October 9, 2013 at 9:20 am #

seriously Zach’s seriously am shock that your comments are still here and admin have not dealt with you as yet.

You have a choice is not a law that you have to come to this site so you can choose to carry your negativity else where plz.

felix you have taught my husband to cook and he could not even boil water literally and now he cooks on his own without returning to the site unless he is trying a dish for the first time and you did it online with out he having to attend a class that’s impressive which goes to show how simple and easy you’ve made it so thanks.

also i have the Naparima cook book for years and still i choose this site over it :)

• BETTY BEDEAU November 3, 2013 at 1:08 am #

There is no doubt that I will not enjoy this recipe and look forward to expressing my thoughts to you. The Naparima cookbook is a good book that I will continue to enjoy, however you do such a wonderful job that there is no comparison if there is to be one. Keep up the GREAT work. You have taught me and I am sure many others quite a lot. Regarding comments on the Naparima cookbook, ignorance continues to flourish, even in unexpected places. Felix, Thank you much for all your efforts.

• Felix November 3, 2013 at 3:07 am #