Sugarless Cake

I have for you an extremely moist sugarless cake, with the uncanny resemblance to our popular black Christmas cake.  The main difference is that there is no alcohol in this cake.  As a matter of fact, this cake is a perfect substitute for the black Christmas Cake.  This cake is also the second cake for month I mentioned in an earlier post.

Why a Sugarless Cake?

Now this recipe was taken from the book, “My Life, My Diet”, which also includes a number of selected recipes.  If you want a copy of this book you can click here for it; it was one of our free giveaway eBooks.  Anyway, this dessert is perfect in many ways.  It will appeal to the health-conscious who are trying to reduce their intake of sugar, those who are dieting, and those who just want to have more nourishing and satisfying desserts. This cake is just another treat for those who are diabetic as well.  Whatever the reason, I know you will go crazy for this cake.  My father-in-law loves black cakes and he gave this cake a thumbs up and a perfect score. My mom indicated she is saving a piece for later; she just loves the almonds in it.

A Sugarless Cake Recipe

You will also be surprised as to how easy this sugarless cake is.  This could be your daughter’s first cake, that could show off to her friends.  The cake takes about 35 minutes to prepare and bake. Isn’t that remarkable?  Another thing is that this cake has all the ingredients, such as dates and prunes, to help you feel really good in many ways.  Since the recipe has gotten such reviews at home, I have decided that this would be my go to “black cake” for Christmas.  Here is Sugarless Cake.  Enjoy and happy baking.

Sugarless Cake

2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp.  cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Beat the eggs with the vanilla.  Set aside.

Melt the butter.

Boil dates and prunes in the one cup of water for 3 minutes.

Add the butter.

…. and raisins and let cool.

Sift the flour.  Mix the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.

Add to the beaten eggs.

Mix well.

Add the fruit mixture.

Mix well.

Stir in the chopped almond nuts.

Pour into a well greased baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for  25 to 30 minutes.

The finished cake.

Print this Recipe

See you soon with another recipe. Hope you enjoyed our sugarless cake.

Ah Gone :)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Sugarless Cake

1. Sasha June 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

This cake sounds delicious! I want to try this recipe but I hate nuts in cake. Should I add more flour if I’m omitting nuts?

• Felix June 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

No, just remove the nuts.

2. dc June 13, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Greetings Felix, two things please. One – thank you for posting a sugarless cake that does not use artificial sweetners to sweeten the cake. I seem to get a rather odd headache whenever I eat something that has artificial sweetners as an ingredient even if I am not aware that an artificial sweetner was used! Again much thanks ..Second thing please – I would like to bake this exact recipe in regular sized muffin tins. Would you be able to suggest a temperature and length of time to bake this recipe in regular sized muffin tins? Should I place a pan of water in the oven along with the muffin tins to prevent excess drying? For some reason, I have this longing to convert all my wonderful cake recipes into muffin/ cupcake sized versions. Regards to you Felix!

• Felix June 13, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

dc you would need to watch the muffins like a hawk while they’re baking since you’re on uncharted territory and muffins cook faster. I would start at 250 degrees F for 15 minutes and test to make sure the muffin is cooked through sticking it with a knife at the center. if you do it please come back and tell me how it came out. I would be able to share it with other visitors.

• dc June 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

As soon as I get back home, have rested and start to bake again, I will let you know. In a few months If you hear someone screaming in the distance, from the Port of Spain area, it would be me. It either came out very well or it would be an unprecedented disaster!

3. Dawn June 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

Felix, I did this cake on the 23rd of June. It’s, oh my goodness gooood. I doubled the recipe
    including the water. Then I went to check your post and saw my fruits were a bit wet, so I blended the almonds finer and it was like extra flour, which took care of the extra liquid. But the taste is awesome, and takes half the time of regular fruit cake to bake. This is my go-to recipe for fruitcake EVERY TIME. As it ages ( 1 day only) it taste more mellow. Thank you,
    thank you much.

• Felix June 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

No Dawn, thank you for trying the recipe and seeing for yourself that I do post wonderful and creative recipes. I just hope you shared the cake and didn’t eat all by yourself lol!! :)

• Dawn June 28, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Felix,
        My husband and I blazed that cake like you will not believe.
        Truth be told I ate more than he did. Your recipes are REALLY GREAT.
        Will be making another one by next Wednesday please God.
        The mellowness is something, and this is not a hit and miss.
        This recipe makes anyone look like a real professional baker.
        Thanks once again and God bless.

4. Ann Marie August 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Just made this cake with a little variation. Had some soaked fruits since last Christmas in the refrigerator and used this instead. Absolutely delicious. This is my new fruit cake for Christmas. I did not used any sweetener and was amazed at how delicious and moist this was.
    thanks for sharing.
    Ann marie

5. Simply Trini Cooking November 23, 2013 at 3:48 am #

This is my go to recipe for black cake now. All I do is remove the nuts and add soaked fruits.. black cake in 30 minutes lol!!

Of course you can add normal fruits for a non alcoholic black cake as well.

6. Toni December 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

This is delicious! The only thing I changed, was using half a cup of white rum and half a cup of water, instead of just water. Figured it wouldn’t hurt…and it didn’t! Just put another one in the oven, and the smell is out-of-this-world. Thanks.

7. Joan December 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

I love all the comments I read on this cake> I will definitely try this cake on the weekend.

8. mickey January 18, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Can I use spelt flour

• Felix January 21, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

If you’re comfortable using it by all means use it. And if the recipe is successful well you can always tell me what you did.