Chinese Style Fried Chicken

Is Chinese Style Fried Chicken a well kept secret?  What’s in a secret that has to be hidden? I believe that there is no knowledge under the sun that’s secretive. Someone knows about it, and so it’s not really a secret it’s just uncommon knowledge that’s hidden by a select few. Some do it for business purposes, like our famous bitters…or like the most famous fried chicken restaurant. Others just find the information too sensitive for the masses….or too dangerous for the uninformed masses to use against them lol!!.

Chinese Style Fried Chicken Secret Revealed

But as I said before there is no secret……For years I thought that I would never ever be able to cook like some of those cooks in the fancy Chinese restaurants, but that is slowly changing. As I hone my skills and immerse myself in my culture, or should I say we culture, I’m learning more and more and discovering a bit as I go along this journey.

Chinese restaurants are all over the place in Trinidad and Tobago. And every Chinese restaurant would sell their variation of a “No. 1” (a code for, rice, chow mein and fried chicken).  It was a favourite of mine, since it was cheap and very filling. The fried chicken was what enticed me the most. The chicken was well done, fried right down to the bone, and some how the seasonings permeated through the whole chicken. I was always in awe. How was it done?

Well, lately I found out and surprisingly was able to replicate the Chinese style fried chicken, but with less saltiness; since I used a Chinese seasoning without MSG. I got the thumbs up from my family, so I think I got it right.

So there’s no mystery or secret behind Chinese style fried chicken. It is simple to make and very tasty….and of course you won’t have to order a “No. 1” with chicken again, since you have all the recipes to make it at home (hahaha!!) …

Here’s Chinese Style Fried Chicken.

Chinese Style Fried Chicken Recipe

chinese style fried chicken
CHINESE STYLE FRIED CHICKEN

1 chicken (about 2 1/2 lb)
oil for deep frying ( about 900 ml )
1 tbsp Chinese seasoning powder (I used the Sincere Brand)
1/2 tbsp five spice powder

For Sauce
3 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. ketchup
4 tbsp. water
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. minced ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil

2 sprigs chive, chopped finely (for garnish)

Clean chicken removing excess fat, wash with lime and cut into quarters.

Season with 1 tbsp of Chinese Seasoning.
Rub the season all over the chicken and leave to marinate for about 20 minutes

Note: I know some of you may be saying but that is all it take 1 tbsp of the seasoning.
As you would notice I used a Chinese Seasoning without MSG. Thinking about my readers lol!!

Heat the oil
While the oil is heating up, sprinkle 1/2 tbsp of 5 spice powder and rub it in.

The oil looks good now

Fry until golden and well cooked. Drain.

Note: I cooked my chicken over a low fire for about 25 minutes and it was cooked right down to the bone.

Now it’s time to make the sauce

Mix the water, oyster sauce, ketchup and cornstarch.

Note: Ok! so here’s where we can do a bit of variation on the sauce. Instead of the oyster sauce you can use garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, plum sauce, black bean sauce or any other sauce of  your choice. There’s a world of variations out there.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in the wok

Saute the ginger and garlic for 1 minute.

Then add the mixture and let cook for about 2 minutes over a low fire.

Chop the chicken into desired  pieces arrange on a bed of lettuce then
place chicken. Pour some of the sauce over chicken and garnish with chopped chive.

So we have Rice, Chow Mein and Chicken (this recipe) and if you want, you can make a side order of Shrimp Wontons.  A little more again someone will surely say you went by Fai’s in Tunapuna lol!!

More recipes to come.

Ah gone!

If you liked my Chinese style fried chicken, please leave your comments.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

34 Responses to Chinese Style Fried Chicken

1. carlened February 13, 2012 at 3:50 am #

i love the receipe, my wait is finally over thanks a million!

2. Felix February 13, 2012 at 4:07 am #

You’re welcome Carlene :-)

3. hektek February 13, 2012 at 4:21 am #

great,next up some pow

4. Indy February 13, 2012 at 4:58 am #

Thank you for the recipe felix, i luv it :)

5. Cynthia February 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm #

Oh gosh how I love, love, love all Chinese food and the fried chicken! My brother, why do you torture me so?! Ok, this is definitely on the menu for this weekend and I am making Fried Rice to go along with it.

6. Jen February 16, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Felix, I don’t ever do deep frying but I want to make this for my Trini friend for her birthday( she has told me more times than I could count how much she likes Chinese style fried chicken). So, what is the best kind of oil to use? Thank you! Jenny

7. Felix February 17, 2012 at 1:09 am #

For my recipe I used sunflower oil.

8. Risharde R February 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

Thanks for showing me this, I’ll be trying this on the weekend!

P.S Your RSS feed is now on TriniNation.com since it provides quality stuff! Thank you!

9. Abby February 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Felix, can you tell me where you purchased the sincere brand of chinese seasoning?

10. Felix February 22, 2012 at 12:30 am #

Risharde R Thank you for adding my RSS Feeds, it is an honour. I do hope you enjoy the recipes :-)

11. Felix February 22, 2012 at 12:32 am #

Abby I bought mine at a little chinese store at Long Circular Mall. They’re located on the ground floor in the corridor past the food court.

12. jade September 26, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

are you doing any recipes for wings, a friend is looked on your site and found none.

• Felix September 26, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

What kind of wings are you interested in learning? At this time as I mentioned on facebok I’m busy with coding pages for printables. And, that is a mammoth task since it is over 300 recipes so far on the site. If you tell me I’ll add the recipe on my list of recipes to do. btw I’m on the lookout for chennette to try that roast chennette seed :-)

13. L'shanda October 23, 2012 at 5:44 am #

I tried this along with ur Chinese noodles recipe and it was great… Thanks for this.. My family enjoyed it.. I took a pic of the plate of food afterwards, I should probably post it on ur fb page.. Lol.. I also took a pic of when I made buss up shut and curry chicken and potatoes from ur recipe.. I’ll post both pics at some time.. Keep doing what you do.. U are teaching me a lot and making me enjoy trying new things.. When before in my household we were eating the same thing all the time.. Lol

• Felix October 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Hi L’Shanda,

I like when I get long comments such as yours because I love to read them. They give me the impetus to continue doing my work. As for the pictures I have a bigger plan for them, just hold on to them and I’ll get back to you. Thanks again for your comment.:-)

14. MoriYah November 1, 2012 at 5:05 am #

Is there a substitute for the oyster sauce, I can’t eat shellfish. Thx!!

• Felix November 1, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Of course, you can substitute any sauce :-)

15. Narda December 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Do you have recipe for roast pork pow?

Tks!

• Felix December 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm #

Not as yet. The Christmas Season has me busy but it is on my long recipe list :-)

16. Rocky March 26, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Hi,
    Do you know where I can find the Chinese Seasoning in New jersey?

• Felix March 26, 2013 at 11:28 am #

Unfortunately no

17. Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

I cannot thank you enough for this recipe. Really looking forward more.

18. Nadia July 27, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

Hi,

First of all, keep up the GREAT job that you are doing! I tried making Chinese Style Fried Chicken before, but it was always a bit salty. I tried your recipe and I have only two words. Simple! Delicious! I look forward to more of your recipes, especially Char Siu Pork ;). Again, keep up the good job!

19. Hazel Cummings December 6, 2013 at 9:06 pm #

I tried this recipe and it was so good I knew I could have given any Chinese food restaurant ah run fuh dey money. Thanks Felix!

20. Denise Thomas December 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

Looks yum

21. Sophia QueenHart Archer December 6, 2013 at 11:42 pm #

Hi Felix,

Nice job with the chicken. I do want to mention though that I’ve worked in Chinese restaurants before and they don’t usually fry the chicken, they rub in the seasoning, just like you did, and roast it. They only fry it when the customer requests it. If you roast it instead of fry it, you’ll get the same results but without the excess oil, and it tastes just as good.

22. Roxy Singh December 7, 2013 at 6:34 am #

I love this chicken…

23. Kristen March 6, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

Hi, Looks delicious! I was wondering if you can use boneless chicken breast for this? Thanks!!

• Felix March 6, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

Sure, why not? You will have to check the cooking times since it’s the meat alone you’re using.

24. mimi June 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm #

i made this today along with stir fry veg and fry rice! my brother and i gobbled it down! so good! thanks STC!