Curry Chataigne (Breadnut)

I’ll be short today since this is a long detailed post (35 pictures I believe).  In the last post I showed you all how to boil the chataigne seeds. But, you may also remember me talking about eating chataigne with buss up shut, dhal puri, sada roti etc. This is how it’s done… The chataigne (breadnut) is picked green to be curried.

A Yummy Curry Chataigne!

Once you get the hang of it and its deliciousness, curry chataigne is a dish that is worth the long hard work involved to prepare it, not to mention the stickiness on your hands from the “milk” of the fruit. Incidentally, this same “milk” is what is used to catch birds. Our Trini term for it is “laglee“…OK, I’m getting a little long here so I’ll stop now. We’ll discuss “laglee” a bit more later on. Just remind me. Here’s Curry Chataigne (breadnut) Yummy!

Curry Chataigne Recipe

Curry Chataigne

CURRY CHATAIGNE

2 medium chataigne ( breadnut) or 3 small
1 medium onion, chopped
2 pimento peppers, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp curry
1 tsp geera powder
1/2 tsp saffron * (turmeric) powder
1 tsp amchar masala
2 tbsp green seasoning
3/4 cup coconut powder (about 75g)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
water

* In Trinidad what we call saffron is really turmeric. It is also called Hardi by the East Indians.

Some nice young chataigne!
Rub a bit of oil on your hands. This will prevent your hands from getting sticky.

See the “milk” I was talking about? It is very sticky when dry (almost like chewing gum!).
Peel the thick outer skin.

Cut into quarters and remove the heart.

Separate the seeds from the flesh.
Chop the chataigne flesh finely

When you’re separating the seeds try to leave the flesh intact.
This will make chopping it finely much easier.
Remove the skin from the seed.

Note: In this picture I’m showing the two layers before you reach the seed on the far right. Both layers must be removed.

We’re ready to curry the chataigne now.
Place in a large bowl of water and wash

Mix the curry, masala, green seasoning, geera, and turmeric with 4 tbsp of water.

Heat oil and saute garlic……
…pimento peppers and onion.

Add the curry mixture and allow to reduce to an almost sticky paste.
Add the chataigne…
Coat evenly with the curry…
and add salt to taste.

Mix the coconut powder in 1 cup of water.

Add to chataigne and simmer for 1 minute.
Pressure cook for 6 – 8 minutes.

Voila! Curry Chataigne A La Trini :-)
Before I go I would like to extend warmest appreciation and gratitude to all who wished me Happy Birthday over at the fan page. Thank you all so much for you’re my support. So, enjoy the curry chataigne my dear friends. I’m going to bed….Goodnight and of course

Ah gone! :-)  Enjoy Curry chataigne Recipe.

, , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Curry Chataigne (Breadnut)

1. WizzyTheStick March 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm #

Your posts on local cooking are invaluable. I always learn something new. I eat this all the time but never realized how much work it takes to prepare it

2. Cynthia April 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

This is a lot of work I know! I love katahar curry!

3. Felix April 8, 2010 at 5:12 pm #

@ Wizzythestick, @Cynthia Indeed it is a lot of work but I must agree it sure is tasty :-)

4. Elaine June 4, 2011 at 12:49 am #

Thank you so much! I bought a breadnut yesterday, and had no idea what to do with it, other than boil it. That looks delicious! Thank you for posting such a detailed description of how to separate the seeds.

5. marcie January 7, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Hi,
    I like your recipe and especially the photos! I’m in Canada and just bought a breadnut to try it out, we saw a movie where orangutans were eating them!
    Sincerely, Marcie

6. dc July 21, 2013 at 12:51 am #

Besides being thankful for this recipe, i finally understand what the term “laglee” refers to!. Since I was a child I was always closer to my Dad. Wherever he went, that’s where I wanted to be. Leave me home nah, and de bawlin would start. Time and time again, it would exasperate my Mother. Finally she used to give in and tell my Dad “take him, just take him”! All my Dad’s friends, especially the close ones, would tell him “Boy dat chile does stick on to you like laglee”…some of the older surviving ones still say it! Now I fully understand what they meant! :) Ha!

7. Henry October 25, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Been a while since i had Breadnut though i learn something else to do with it reading this recipe. I have a question though concerning the cousin of this fruit the “Jackfruit”.

I like in the U.S and in my parts its extremely hard to find allot of tropical island foods. Last night as i was strolling thru my local big Food Grocery Store they had imported a few boxes of “Jackfruit” and was on sale. I immediately thought of Breadnut and thought it was that from a distance. On close look it was JackFruit and i couldn’t help but think they related but had never had a Jackfruit. I’m gonna go pick one up today and more so supporting my local supermarket having more exotic foods but not so unusual to the Caribbean where its more topical. However I had no real idea what exactly to do with the Jackfruit other than maybe removing the seeds and cooking them like bread nut.

So i searched around to a few Caribbean Foods sites i knew and none of them had any recipes for Jackfruit and only one that even had a recipe for Breadfruit was here. And having been a reader I figure I’d ask Felix if he has any recipes for Jackfruit and or can do one where he shows how maybe variety of ways to prepare, use or cook a dish with Jackfruit. As few other places seem to really explain which parts are really edible and how to use the entire fruit.

• Felix October 26, 2014 at 11:13 pm #

I’ve never eaten Katahar so I will have to look for one to try a recipe. Wish me luck and if you don’t see a post just send me a simple reminder :)