Corn Pie

One taste of Corn Pie brings me a rush of memories……It was Sunday; the old man’s leg had been amputated and I used to visit him on this day to “ole talk* and keep him company. We would talk at length on many issues ranging from the spiritual to the mundane. I was in a sort of school, as I would put it, because I gained something every time I left. But this Sunday was different.

Not Coo Coo, But Corn Pie

I was served the usual Sunday lunch of stew chicken, red beans and rice with some callaloo at the side but that day there was a new side in my plate. I thought, why would they serve me Coo Coo? But my question was answered with one taste of this pie. It wasn’t coo coo but it tasted delicious!

I later learnt that it was called corn pie. I asked his daughter for the recipe and a few weeks later I had my own copy of that umami filled, corn pie recipe. I placed it between the pages of my trusty Naparima recipe book* and there it stayed for years: only to come out on special occasions……

The old man passed and the Sunday visits ceased, but two things remained: what I learnt from him and the corn pie recipe [ Still between the aged pages of my Naparima book ( my first recipe book ) and still coming out on special occasions: the page brown with age]… Now it has a resting place. Right here for all to enjoy. What memories would you have when you taste a piece of corn pie? I hope it is as memorable as mine. Enjoy corn pie!

Corn Pie Recipe

Corn Pie, Trinidadian Corn Pie

CORN PIE

1 egg
1 can whole kernel corn
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup (2 oz.) butter
1/2 tsp. black pepper or white pepper
8 tbsp. Promasa Cornmeal
2 pimento peppers, chopped
2 medium sized onions, chopped
1 large sweet pepper, diced
1 cup evaporated milk

Add 1 egg to the liquid from 1 can of whole kernel corn.
If there is little liquid add water to bring it up to about 1 cup liquid.
Beat well then add salt and black pepper or white pepper.
Stir in cornmeal to a smooth paste and set aside.
Melt the butter and saute the onion,
pimento peppers and sweet pepper.
Add evaporated milk and bring to boil.

Add the cornmeal mixture and stir on low heat to a consistent paste.
Stir in the whole kernel corn.
Continue stirring until it leaves the sides of the pot.

Remove from heat and pour into a greased dish.
Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
Bake at 350 degrees F for approx 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Deepest apologies for not posts last week: my computer crashed. Well, as usual more to come. Hope you enjoyed the corn pie. I always do :-)

* ole talk – chat
* Naparima Book – A recipe book of Trinidad and Tobago recipes done by the Naparima Girls’ High School reputed to be one of the essentials in any Trini kitchen.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to Corn Pie

1. Cynthia November 25, 2009 at 6:42 pm #

Ohhhh, Felix, thanks for sharing this recipe. I am definitely going to try this. I love that this pie is firm, now I know that it is from the cornmeal. I have everything but the can of corn if not I’d make it today…

2. Felix November 25, 2009 at 10:30 pm #

This is fast becoming a favourite of mine. I love its simplicity and also how quickly it can be made. Thank you Cynthia for stopping by. :-)

3. Chennette November 28, 2009 at 5:55 pm #

Back when I worked in a Ministry in Trinidad, there was a particular caterer we used for small events – and around Christmas time, she always had this fantastic corn pie! Was one of my favourites!

4. Ish November 29, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

I never thought, would have liked this but it tasted so good. will be on my sunday menus more often.

5. Foehre March 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

We made this a month ago, substituting canned corn for fresh boiled one and adding some extra zucchini, which needed to be used.
    It was delicious!
    I love your blog and am eager to try lots of other recipes from it.

Cheers.

6. Felix March 11, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

Thank you Foehre.Now you’ve given me an idea next time I’ll try that zucchini. :-)

7. GFashion Critic and Stylist April 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

Felix I will say I shared the same expression (why would my aunt feed me coocoo) cause I dont eat coocoo, but when I ate that pie It was so Damn GOOD I begged for the recipe and I wasn’t given it, so thanks for sharing it here.

8. Gayle Rochford August 27, 2010 at 1:07 am #

Try this with Jiffy Corn Muffin mix and a tin of cream style corn to the mixture… it is de best… you could also vary it by adding sugar for a sweet flavour (a Dessert dish)

You can also add tuna or salmon to the mixture to get a tuna/salmon corn casserole…

9. Rahila November 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

It’s Thanksgiving and I tried it as a side using canned sweet corn and coconut milk (since my guests are lactose intolerant) – delicious! Thanks so much Felix.

10. Felix November 26, 2010 at 1:58 am #

You’re welcome Rahila and Happy Thanksgiving :-)

11. afesha December 6, 2010 at 12:00 am #

The first corn pie I ever made was using this recipe, after a google search of ‘recipe for corn pie’ lol..N.B. I wowed my mom and at the time i was only 19 with no interest in cooking. This simple and precise recipe not only made the corn pie tasty, but gave it that special trini flavor!! Thanks Felix =)

12. candicooks February 22, 2011 at 2:05 am #

I came across this recipe from a link at Breakfast,Lunch,Dinner and Punch and gave it a try tonight. It turned out great! Very tasty. I dug in straight from the oven so it was little bit mushy but I’m guessing it will firm up after I let it stand for a bit. Will definitely be adding this to my repertoire.

13. Felix February 22, 2011 at 3:20 am #

Thank you for stopping by Candi and trying out the corn pie recipe. I saw Wizzy’s version when I passed the other day. it was a nice twist with the chilli…. So you couldn’t wait for it to cool eh? Hope you didn’t scald your tongue lol! Visit again soon :-)

14. Wuzdescene February 24, 2011 at 12:52 am #

I DO NOT COOK AT ALL … but I too just saw this recipe at Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Punch … and I am definitely going to try it … I love corn!

15. simba March 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

this is my family favourite dish thanks.

16. Flowerdamsel November 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

WOW, WOW, WOW… no kidding, learn to cook grits and you can hit it home with this. This was incredible. Albeit, cook it slow is key. COCO is called corn? Sorry, I live in a fertilly rich area in Lancaster Co, PA. NO ONE CAN WAIT HERE FOR FRESH CORN SEASON! Ooooh, boil it and eat straight from the cob. Your version of this is incredible. Even our locals “Amish” could not top this. Way yummmmy. BUT I did add that all too much of a favorite to this, just seems to go hand in hand, Some BACON!!!!! Browned crisp and papertoweled to degrease. AHHHHHH, heaven in every bite!!!!

17. Esther Moolchan June 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

can I use cream style corn instead of whole kernel corn?

18. Felix June 30, 2012 at 12:43 am #

I guess you can use cream style corn but seeing that this is a very accurate recipe already, you may not get the same taste this dish is famous for.

19. Susan September 26, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Hi Felix,

I am going to try this recipe for a wedding on Saturday. By how much should i increase the recipe by to get about 2 large foil pan of corn pie?

Thanks

• Felix September 28, 2012 at 12:23 am #

What are the dimensions of the pan you’re going to use?

20. Susan September 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Approximately 10 inches x 18 inches

• Felix September 29, 2012 at 11:54 am #

This is an approximation …for the two pans X 5.

21. DionneAbigail October 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Hi Felix, I just discovered this site cuz I was looking for an oxtail recipe. I’ve NEVER commented before but I felt compelled to do it this time. Thank you for making all your recipes sooooooo simple and the ingredients are so easy to find, but I think I enjoy reading your intros at the beginning of each recipe the most. Thanks again

• Felix October 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

22. stacy November 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

I would love for the administrator to remove third party restrictions from the site. So that I can pin one of my favorite recipes to pinterest. It will be appreciated. Thank you :)

• Felix November 22, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

What problems are you encountering?

23. Stacy December 2, 2012 at 2:29 am #

None now. O_o Thank you.

24. Feuola December 14, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

omg i tried this and my family wants more and more of it.thanks for sharing

25. Loretta December 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

I like it whenever people come together and share ideas. Great
    website, continue the good work!

26. lisa April 5, 2013 at 10:45 am #

i love it. Ummmm i always wanted to knw how to make this.thanks a lot. Keep up the good work.

27. dyan May 19, 2013 at 6:12 am #

hi
    i was just wondering is there a substitute i can use for the eggs, my husband does not eat eggs and i would love to try this recipe.

• Felix May 19, 2013 at 7:27 am #

To substitute 1 egg, simmer 1 tbsp ground flaxseed in 3 tbsp of water until it is slightly thickened. Then cool to room temperature before you use it.

28. Shalene August 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

can this be made with cheese in it?

• Felix August 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

I prefer to add the cheese as a topping.

29. java January 19, 2014 at 11:16 pm #

I like this recipe.
    So where’s the cheese?
    R U Felix Padilla?? I found a recipe with cheese here

• Felix January 21, 2014 at 11:36 pm #

I’m happy you liked the recipe Java. Yes I am Felix Padilla in the flesh. The cheese was just a variation my friend Cynthia did, but the original recipe I did does not call for cheese since it increases the calories of the dish. Adding the cheese is optional.

• Java January 25, 2014 at 1:44 am #

Awesome!

(Gonna comment on another one of your recipes).

30. Gypsy February 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm #

One of the best things about Corn Pie is the many variations. I made this today and it is very delicious. Definitely another one of the more tasty versions both in flavor and texture. To me, no Corn Pie would be complete without the added flavor of peppers and the firm yet moist texture from the cornmeal makes this Corn Pie recipe one I’ll make again!

31. simone May 8, 2014 at 10:08 am #

Hi good day felix. Can this be made without Eggs. Don’t like eggs in pie so could you tell me of a replacement or if it could be done without it. Thank you…

• Felix May 8, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

Yes, I believe you can leave the eggs out, you can use ground flaxseed. Simmer about 1 tablespoon in 3 tablespoon of warm water until it is slightly thickened. Cool and use in the recipe.

• wendy June 18, 2014 at 10:37 am #

Absolutely delicious. Very simple recipe to follow with a delicious end result. Love love love

32. denzel wj July 26, 2014 at 10:42 pm #

i found this dish interesting although i substituted the whole kernel corn for 2 whole kernels and 2 cream corns. although im only 12 i can still cook very well an found this recipe one of the easiest i’ve made

33. Jean-luc J August 13, 2014 at 10:23 am #

I still have the Naparima girls Recipe book , this recipe isn’t in it.

• Felix August 13, 2014 at 10:27 am #

I never said it was published in the Recipe book. I got the recipe and kept in the book for safekeeping. And it is still there. :)

34. Querino de-Freitas August 25, 2014 at 8:50 am #

I find all corn dishes are really all the same…i make a corn pudding with frozen corn I put all sort of veggies in,,and when its baked,,,with a lovely golden top,,,it looks the same as your corn-pie when its sliced………qqq