Trinidad Kurhi

The first time I heard about Kurhi was from a member from my facebook group. She made a request for it, and since it was not in my already large list of recipes to do, I decided to do a post… I thought I knew what kurhi was; possibly some kind of fried dish like baiganee, but I was in for a surprise.

The Technique of Making Trinidad Kurhi

I had eaten it already for Divali by a friend but I didn’t know what it was until I did the post; all I was told at the time was that it was a dhal made with split peas powder instead of the regular split peas. So that was what I knew it as; just dhal made with split peas powder. But that was not all, there were also the little split peas pholourie, called boulders, that was added to the dhal. Later on for ease of remembering, I just settled on calling Kurhi – split peas powder dhal with little balls.

OK! Now that I knew what it was, it would be easy to make right? Wrong! There was a technique to mixing the split peas powder for the pholourie part, that my mom’s friend showed me while she made it. The batter had no baking powder in it yet it floated when dropped to a cup of water to test. Isn’t that amazing? I will show you what she did.

Usually it is eaten with rice, like in the picture, but I feel that you could try it with roti as well; break and dip style. This makes a very appetizing vegetarian dish and of course you could add the different chutneys too. Enough of me talking; here’s Kurhi. Enjoy!

Trinidad Kurhi Recipe

Kurhi

KURHI

Pholourie (boulders)

2 cups split peas powder
1/2 tsp. saffron powder (tumeric)
1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. geera (cumin)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tbsp. curry
salt to taste

Pholourie (boulders)

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl thoroughly.
Continue mixing and test the mixture occasionally
by dropping small blobs of batter in a cup of water until it floats.

Note: This is the technique I mentioned earlier. It seems that the constant mixing introduces air into the batter to make it buoyant.

The batter for the “boulders” is ready.
Have a little bowl of water at hand to dip the spoon into before dipping it in the batter.
Note: You could use either a 1/2 tablespoon or tablespoon according to the size you want. Don’t forget to dip the spoon in the water first then in the batter!

Fry until golden and drain on paper towels.

Dhal

Mix the split peas powder and green seasoning in 3 cups of water.
Heat the oil over a medium flame….
and add the garlic, onion, and saffron (tumeric) to saute.

Add the curry and let it fry until it is about to stick to the pot.

Add the dhal and the rest of water (11 cups) and stir
Note: While stirring, the dhal will thicken. I was surprised to see how much dhal was made.

Add the hot pepper.
and “boulders”.
Bring to a boil.

Add geera and salt to taste.
The finished kurhi: serve over rice or with roti.
See how easy it was! The kurhi went well with rice and some mango chutney at the side.  Well that’s it for another week of posting. More to come as usual. Ah gone!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Trinidad Kurhi

1. Russ October 4, 2009 at 12:15 pm #

That sounds very good. Good job of pictures and description. I would love to try it.

2. sangeeta October 4, 2009 at 1:42 pm #

this is kadhi chawal ( kadhi n rice) a typical food of the punjab region n middle of India…the boulders, as you call them are the pakdis of the kadhi……………………..
    see my version http://banaraskakhana.blogspot.com/2009/07/kadhi-pakodi.html..
    why don’t you come over n find some more things which resembles trini cooking …i’d be overwhelmed if somebody told me that something from my archives is something like they cook in their country.

3. Felix October 4, 2009 at 2:47 pm #

@ Russ Thank you for the comment. It would be nice to see how yours come out :-)

4. Felix October 4, 2009 at 2:54 pm #

@ Sangeeta I wouldn’t be surprised at all. What’s nice though is to see how after 164 years since East Indians came to Trinidad and Tobago (May 1845) the recipes haven’t changed much to the recipes you have done. I’ll pass by and see what other similarities we have.

5. Cynthia October 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm #

In Guyana, this is called Karhi, I never liked it :( Don’t know why.

6. WizzyTheStick October 9, 2009 at 1:36 am #

I can’t believe I have never had this. Gonna call up all my Indian in laws right now to compalin:-)

7. Melanie October 31, 2009 at 7:23 pm #

Thank you for this recipe! I absolutely LOVE Kurhi, I’ve ALWAYS loved it! Thank you thank you! By the way, I love your website, you are a truly wonderful, generous person for giving the BEST step by step guide to trini cooking EVER!

8. Felix November 1, 2009 at 12:09 am #

Thank you Melanie for your wonderful comment. I just wish others would see the worth in the hard work that I do. Thanks again :-)

9. Alpha November 1, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Do you know how many people this would serve? I am making my first divali dinner for friends this friday and would love to make this.

10. Felix November 1, 2010 at 11:05 pm #

Hi Alpha,

This would feed about 5 to 6 people depending on how much you serve with the rice. Hope this helps and happy Divali in advance :-)

11. Ramona K November 5, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

I love this, especially for Devali.
    Thanks. Great website.

12. Sabrina November 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

I tried the recipe It turned out great my Sisters aunt and mom always made it for me this was a great help.

13. ravika April 12, 2012 at 5:16 am #

Thanks a million for this step by step method with pictures provided and all. i love karhi so much, sangeeta was comparing to what is called Kadhi which i know about. But, Punjabi Kadhi is also made with yogurt or buttermilk etc. in this way the taste is totally different from our Trini Karhee/Karhi. I love the both actually, the Kadhi is more watery and thin in consistency. I have to make both these recipes, Trini and the one from India. I love our Trini Karhee so much, and can’t wait to eat it again. :) ))))

14. Sunshine October 31, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Does anyone have a recipe for lapsi @ soharee?

15. Marsha April 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

Do you have a recipe for lapsi and soharee? Would love to learn how to make that.

• Felix April 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Not at the moment, but I will have to get it done before Divali 2013 :)