Saheena II

By now you would have realised that this is the second variation of saheena that we prepare. This saheena recipe is easier than the first because of the steps and the preparation but the cooking time may probably be the same since in this saheena recipe we have to leave the mixture to “rest”.

The Two Types of Saheena

Everyone will have a liking for one of the two types for me I will have to stick to liking both. It depends on the mood I’m in or how hungry I am at the time. :-) The roll up type I like because of the ratio of dasheen bush to split peas powder and vice versa.

It’s been great posting all these recipes for Divali. I actually pulled it off: I posted five recipes in two days. To me that’s a feat in itself seeing that I usually post only three a week. Yawn! Sleep is near….enjoy this second mouthwatering and delightful variation of Saheena.

Saheena Recipe

Saheena II

SAHEENA

6 dasheen leaves ( stems removed)
1 tsp. saffron powder
1 tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 cup split peas powder
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. green seasoning
2 cups water
few drops of lime juice

fold the leaves and cut off where the stem joins to the leaf

Then cut the dasheen leaves finely

Add the rest of ingredients….

Note: Don’t forget the lime juice or else it will itch!

and mix thoroughly. Leave to rest for 1/2 an hour.
Heat the oil over a medium flame.
have a small bowl of water nearby. dip your hands in the water
then pick up a bit of the dough and……
spread with your hands

Fry until golden.
Drain and serve with favourite kuchela or chutney

So ends another fine East Indian recipe and my posts for the day. Hope you enjoyed them and of course Happy Divali to the Hindu community from Simply Trini Cooking. :-)

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Saheena II

1. sangeeta October 18, 2009 at 6:26 am #

i have to go find out the leaves…i am craving for this now…though we make it a bit differently..

2. Felix October 18, 2009 at 12:57 pm #

I would like to see how you all make it!

3. Chennette October 18, 2009 at 3:20 pm #

whew – 5 posts in 2 days. I am lucky if I get 5 in one month :-D dedication, boy!
    the older generation in my village call this one bhaggia, but that name didn’t seem to make it into the popular terminology in Trinidad. Instead we have “roll-up Saheena” and “cut-up Saheena” – has its own rhythm I suppose!

4. Felix October 18, 2009 at 9:52 pm #

Chennette girl it was a feat in itself but now I’m tired. Of course I have to make sure and post for next week. The work never ends but it is enjoyable. :-)

5. Swapna October 21, 2009 at 4:45 am #

Hi Felix,

Great recipes… keep posting.. we had a good Diwali

6. Sebastian December 26, 2009 at 10:23 pm #

what could i substitute for dasheen or callaloo?

is trini callaloo the same as jamaican calalloo? (the plant variety)

• Dunori January 28, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

Jamaican calalloo is what we call amaranthus (see the dasheen bush bhaji recipe).

7. Felix December 27, 2009 at 6:38 pm #

Well Sebastian, I believe I may have to clarify a number of things first. To us, calalloo is a dish, and dasheen bush (also referred to as taro leaves) is the main ingredient in this dish, as well as in the saheena dish.

However, some people have substituted spinach leaves in place of dasheen bush in the callaloo dish (I believe the Jamaicans do this as well). I guess you can borrow this idea as well for Saheena I and II if you really want to try the dish and can’t get dasheen leaves.

8. Secrets January 31, 2010 at 11:35 pm #

I was wondering where I would get Dasheen leaves from so being able to use spinach leaves is good to know.
    This recipe sounds very tasty. I think you did an amazing job on getting all the recipes completed in such a short time. Well done
    Wanda

9. Felix February 1, 2010 at 1:43 am #

Thanks Wanda :-)

10. Ali January 25, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

Hey Felix:( I tried making the saheena today but initially I suspected I measured the flour wrong when it looked a bit runny so I added some more flour. I dont know if this is the cause of my probs but when I fried the saheena it quickly cooked on the outside but inside was very raw:( I tried frying very small bits but to no avail:( plsss help me:(

11. Felix January 26, 2011 at 3:39 am #

Hmmm! You suspected…Probably you did :-)

When cooking many things could go wrong but don’t give up. Even if you added too much flour I think you had to leave the mixture to rest ….Then you could have had the fire a little too high so the outside cooked faster than inside…Practice makes perfect.

12. Ali February 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm #