Lentil Peas and Rice

It’s nice to come home to a hot plate of food after a long day of work, school or even after a long day of shopping. Sometimes on my way home I used to try and guess what my mother cooked that day…. Did she make oil down? ; or some rice and dasheen bush bhaji ?; or fish broth with some carite. At times my guess would be on target; other times I would be pleasantly surprised with a dish I haven’t had for some time.

lentil peas and rice
Lentil peas and rice is no stranger to our exotic range of palatable feasts. I think the beauty of this dish and many of our dishes is its simplicity, ease of preparation and versatility. I have eaten this in so many different ways: with pigtail, smoked bone, salt beef…..you name it. Nevertheless, I’m showing you in this recipe my favourite version ( with pigtail) and before I forget; you can have this with dumpling also ( another of my favourites) it tastes just as well.

Lentil Peas and Rice Recipe

What we also do sometimes is to stew the lentil peas by itself and have it with a side of stew chicken or beef. With this method we would not have any of the meats like pig tail . So you see already the versatility I’m talking about. Enjoy Lentil peas and rice with pigtail!

LENTIL PEAS AND RICE

1/4 lb pig tail
1 small carrot
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 cup lentil peas (soaked for 30 minutes)
5 chadon beni leaves
1 tbsp coconut milk powder
salt to taste

Chop and pressure cook the pigtail until tender and set aside.

Cut up the seasonings and carrot.
Wash and soak the lentil peas for 30 minutes then add to the pressure cooker.

Add the seasonings and pressure cook until tender (in trini terms we say “until de peas burs’ “)

When just about done add the pigtail…
and coconut milk. Add salt to taste
Add the pigtail when the lentil peas is nearly ready and simmer for about ten minutes.
Serve hot over rice.

As I’ve said before you can also try it with dumpling, It tastes great!

Ah gone!

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Lentil Peas and Rice

1. Joie de vivre February 7, 2009 at 4:01 am #

I’ve never seen a pigtail for sale before, but I suppose it would taste the same as the hock? This looks positively yummy!

2. Carib.girl February 7, 2009 at 4:58 am #

Boi, I getting rell hungry looking at deh picture. It’s been a long time since I taste salt fish & bake.

You’re a very good cook. I know I’m going to enjoy reading your blog.

3. simplytrinicooking.com February 7, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

Joie de vivre pigtail is pickled in brine. Actually it is a product of Canada but we trinis love it.

4. simplytrinicooking.com February 7, 2009 at 3:13 pm #

Carib.girl I welcome you to my blog I hope you enjoy your visit. Do come again!

5. Cynthia February 12, 2009 at 9:44 pm #

Have I told you lately how much I love your blog? :)

In my post this week, I sent people to your site for your pineapple juice recipe.

6. Raz4125 February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

Thank you very much Cynthia and I must say the same for your blog. You inspire me!……. Oh! and I can’t forget Chennette too!

7. alysha February 10, 2010 at 4:42 am #

Felix!!! thanks for posting all of yuh recipes!!! I never paid much attention to my mum making our food..now I’m 30…and running like mad trying to make all these things….and calling/harrassing her….lol… PS – Mummy adds pumpkin to her lentil peas….do you? I’m trying this for the first time tomorrow…along with your recipe for Fried Bake & Saltfish…wish meh luck!!!!! Thanks again!!! (Trini in Brooklyn, NY)

8. Felix February 10, 2010 at 5:49 am #

Yes sometimes I add pumpkin. It’s more or less optional. Good luck in your cooking adventure tomorrow. :-)

9. chakiya November 9, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

I love alll of the recipes…..can’t wait to make this one now

10. Nardia-Rosa December 10, 2010 at 1:09 am #

Hello Felix…….I am looking at all of your recipes and I must say that you are good! But what I’d like to know is how to cook the peas alone with out the pig tail…..my mom is leaving me for christmas till the new year so I have a house to feed and like some I was never there when she cooked….:)
    Seasons Greetings!!!!!

11. Felix December 11, 2010 at 12:39 am #

That is easy…Just don’t add the pigtail to the peas at the end. Good luck with your cooking:-)

12. sabella June 15, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

felix this is my husband fav with stew chicken, somehow my lentil doh taste like his mother own, i think she stews it and overheard her saying she adds a little ockco whatever that is or maybe it was ruckoo she said IDK!!!

13. Felix June 15, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

You mean Roucou? That is a natural colouring that we use.

14. Princess August 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

What can I use if I have no Chandon Beni leaves?

15. Felix August 11, 2011 at 4:00 am #

Cilantro x2

16. Natasha August 28, 2011 at 5:39 am #

Felix if you don’t have a pressure cooker, should you soak the lentils overnight? and then boil them till they burst?

17. Felix August 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

That would work as well. It would take a lot longer so try to start “bursting” your lentils some time before.