Sorrel Drink

To me Sorrel is synonymous with Christmas in Trinidad and Tobago. In every home you can find this Sorrel drink being made in preparation for invited guests or parranderos during the Christmas season. The drink is made from the bright, red sepals of the sorrel plant (Hibiscus Sabdariffa) that is sour in taste.

Sorrel

Now this sorrel should not be confused with the other sorrel (Rumex acetosa) that has the same name, which according to my research has a similar astringent flavour. While doing some further reading online I also came across some interesting information on the medicinal uses of sorrel. I was astounded to see that it had cancer fighting properties, among the myriad of other medicinal properties and you could read about it here if you want.
Sorrel DrinkA nice glass of homemade trini sorrel

Sorrel: A Sign of Christmas

Locally, sorrel is planted a few months in advance just in time for the Christmas season . It could be seen in the markets in superfluous amounts, colouring the stalls in a sea of red. Now, sorrel has gotten so popular you can even purchase it dried off season. So now I can drink sorrel year round whenever I like. Sometimes while driving you can see vans parked at the side of the road or highway filled to capacity with sorrel awaiting passers by. Truly a sign that Christmas is near.

Sorrel Drink For Christmas

As a child, we always planted a few sorrel around the house in time for Christmas. I could remember at times I used to pick the small sepals to eat with salt and pepper; it was so nice and sour…… Anyhow, I recently got some sorrel and was able to make my favourite sorrel drink and also get some pictures in the process to show you all how we make sorrel drink in Trinidad. and Tobago If you do get some sorrel to make this drink, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Enjoy trini sorrel drink.

Sorrel Drink Recipe

SORREL DRINK

1 lb. sorrel
11 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 sticks cinnamon

optional:
5 cloves
4 tbsp. grated ginger
1/4-1/2 cup rum

Wash the sorrel.

Separate the sepals from the ‘seed’. Please, note the technique used. Do not touch the seed with your fingers. The seed has fine ‘hairs’ that could penetrate the skin. If possible wear gloves.
This is how it looks when separated. Note where the seed is being held.
Wash the sorrel sepals again.
Place in a deep pot and add the water, cinnamon, and optional spices.
Boil for about 20 minutes or until the sepals begin to lose their colour and look jelly-like.

Strain the sorrel and allow to cool.
After it cools, sweeten with sugar and add the rum if desired.
Transfer to a sterilized bottle and refrigerate. Serve chilled.
After making this drink we usually throw away the boiled sepals but lately we have found a recipe that use the sepals. So look out for this recipe in the, not too distant, future. Stay tuned. Ah gone!

, , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Sorrel Drink

1. Sandy Lee Malnekoff Bocon Gertzfield December 18, 2008 at 9:19 pm #

Sounds delicious, Trini.

2. simplytrinicooking.com December 22, 2008 at 12:24 am #

It is very delicious. Thank you for your comment. :^)

3. GirlBlue January 7, 2009 at 1:20 am #

okay using your recipe to do my sorrel tonight…although I have 5lbs of sorrel which would mean 55 cups of water…welllllll more liek 22 cups, this should be interesting.

Wish me luck

4. simplytrinicooking.com January 7, 2009 at 6:01 am #

5lbs you say!! that’s a lot I just hope you have enough bottles for the amount you’re making. Good Luck :)

5. vyomha January 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks for the recipe, my family by my father’s side are from Trinidad, so I like all the trini recipes, would like the recipe to use the boiled sepals. My English isn’t too good because I’m Panamenian and my own languaje is Spanish, so bear with my bad Englis Lol… Greetings from Panama, Mhathy

6. simplytrinicooking.com January 17, 2009 at 9:35 pm #

Your English is understandable. My Spanish, maybe is as bad as your English but here goes.

De nada y muchas gracias por tu comentario. ¡ciao! :)

7. Foehre March 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

This is one of our favorite drinks now, sadly sorrel, here (Colombia) known as “flor de jamaica”, is rather expensive here.

8. Felix March 11, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Foehre I wish I could send some. We have it in the markets being sold dried. Now I can make sorrel anytime throughout the year. :-)

9. Foehre March 16, 2010 at 10:42 am #

If I had any seeds I would try to plant it on our balcony :)
    The climate should be fine, I suppose (hot, moist and coastal :) )

10. judy December 29, 2011 at 6:12 am #

Hi Felix, i bought some dry sorrel but do you know how to fix it compare to the fresh ones. I will appreciate if you can let me know in the U.S. you can only find the dry ones. Thanks Judy

11. Felix December 29, 2011 at 8:09 am #

It’s the same process..just that you have less work to do…just boil with spice and sweeten.