Ponche De Crème

Now we are getting into the hard stuff. Ponche de Crème or Punch ah Crème is one of our homemade alcoholic drinks that we love to consume during the Christmas season. And being 100% Trini, I decided that I must have some in my fridge for Christmas. I am making it was simple and straightforward, and I thoroughly savoured my first glass for the season.  I could have shared mine with you all, but we haven’t mastered teleporting drinks and food over the internet as yet. So in the mean time here is the recipe for you to try :^)

Ponche De Crème Recipe

Ponche De Crème

PONCHE DE CRÈME

4 eggs
1 tin condensed milk (390g)
1 carton evaporated milk (250ml)
1/2 bottle rum (approx 1 1/2 cups)
3 tbsp. Angostura aromatic bitters
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)

Blend the eggs together

Add the evaporated milk, condensed milk and nutmeg and blend.

Then add the rum and bitters and blend one last time
Pour in a clean bottle and refrigerate. Serve chilled.

Tip: Since this recipe uses raw eggs you may want to pasteurize the eggs by heating it in a double boiler, or bowl placed over water in a sauce pan, stirring constantly while maintaining the temperature at 140° F for three and a half minutes.

The lemon zest is used to cut the fresh smell of the eggs but with the amount of alcohol used, I don’t think it is necessary. We did not use it and the ponche de crème still came out OK though, I still thought it could have done with some more rum :^)

Ah gone again!

, , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Ponche De Crème

1. VMAirandEarth December 25, 2008 at 9:20 pm #

Merry Christmas to you and your family may it be filled with peace,happiness,and prosperity! Oh man you have my husband is so excited. I am an American southern girl and the only time he gets these foods are when his mother visits us from NY then I go through a cram session in Trini cooking(lol) Thanks for helping me be a better wife by keeping his stomach happy : )

2. simplytrinicooking.com December 26, 2008 at 1:43 am #

Merry Christmas to you and yours. I am glad to hear that I have made at least one person on this earth happy.

3. ian June 20, 2009 at 3:52 am #

Hey felix, since this is one of my favorite drinks for the season; may I suggest adding some allspice as well. It really adds to the seasoning of the puncha creama!

4. Shaun December 25, 2009 at 6:07 pm #

Aye Felix. Thanks for the recipe. I tried it and it came out perfect the first time out. Being Trini and living out here in Las Vegas, there aren’t many places to find anything from home so I am especially grateful. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

5. Felix December 26, 2009 at 4:56 am #

You’re welcome Shaun; Merry Christmas to you and yours.

6. kari July 6, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

a good thing to mention with this recipe is that a sterile bottle should be used to store drink after its made

7. Jessica December 29, 2012 at 12:18 am #

This recipe looks delicious. Where would I get “Angostura aromatic bitters”?

• Felix December 29, 2012 at 4:22 am #

the best place would be any West Indian specialty store

• Carr December 3, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

You can get it at any liquor stocked shopped; I live in southern california and all the grocery stores have it in their liquor sections, for example check the liquers stock and it should be right next to them. Ask the grocer?

• debbie December 2, 2014 at 5:36 pm #

Angostara Bitters can be found at any place that sells liquor. Just ask for it by name. The Black & white label is very distinct. In my area they carry it at the grocery story where near the grenadine and other bax mixer items are kept.

8. Candy Gray December 3, 2013 at 12:52 am #

Drink de rum n de ponche ah creamer drink de rum

9. Tyanne Vitalis December 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Hi, I made it but it came out really thick, why is that?

• Felix December 25, 2013 at 12:00 am #

probably you didn’t,follow the instructions carefully. if you want just add some liquid to thin it out if you like

• Felix December 25, 2013 at 12:02 am #

check your liquid measurements.

10. Coretta January 3, 2014 at 9:18 am #

Hi Felix:

I’m a long-time reader of your blog :) Well, I finally had the opportunity to visit your beautiful island this past Christmas and one of the highlights of my trip was the ponche-de-creme. HEAVEN IN A GLASS. Between your site and my newly purchased Naparima Girls’ High School Cookbook, I will forever have a taste of Trinidad!

P.s: I think I’m in love with Trinidad

11. Mervene November 16, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

Punch a cream and rum punch and black cake , Christmas is in the air when that infusion is going.

• Felix November 22, 2014 at 11:59 am #

I totally agree lol …Still hearing kitch singing drink ah rum and ah punch ah creamah…….

12. Liz December 19, 2014 at 9:12 am #

Hi Felix, I have enjoyed every recipe I have found on your site. I attempted the punch a creme last night and it looked great and tasted ok. I say ok because I couldn’t find Old Oak or Barcadi in our liquor store here in the Whitby area. What is your suggestion as to the best rum to use? I did use Barcadi – Cuban rum. Thank you Felix for always being in my kitchen. Yes, Kitchener is singing to me right now!!!! : )

• Felix December 19, 2014 at 10:18 am #

I could easily say rum is rum but it all depends on your taste. Here in Trinidad we use Vat 19 rum or Puncheon rum based on how strong you want your ponche de crème. I personally use punchoen rum since it is 75% alcohol/volume….You get a faster head lol :)