Curry Mango

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

Although we are in the Christmas season I feel obliged to post this recipe. I am fulfilling a request from an email I got a few weeks ago from Farhana. I just happened to get some long mango, even though mango is not in season, so I decided to do the post. Curry mango is another side dish that goes great with roti or rice along with curry chicken, channa, potato and a little kuchela or chutney, but I personally like to enjoy it by itself to savour the taste. That too and I also don’t like how the rice sticks to it when you’re eating, if you know what I mean.   As a matter of fact, I don’t even like rice on my meat haha!!

curry mangoCurry Mango

Curry Mango Recipe

Anyhow, I’ll be short this morning because we have some more posts to come and I have some painting to do; you know how this Christmas rush could be. Here’s curry mango.

CURRY MANGO

1 hot pepper
2 cloves garlic , chopped
5 leaves chadon beni
5 mangoes (half ripe)
3 tbsp curry
2 tbsp water ( to mix curry)
1 tsp saffron powder
1 tsp geera powder (cumin)
2 tbsp salt
3 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
2 tbsp oil

Cut up the mango and clean. There is a semi transparent lining
that
has to be removed together with the pieces of the seed.

Add the salt and boil the mangoes.
Drain and set aside

Mix the curry, saffron, geera powder and water.

Saute the garlic and hot pepper
Add the curry mixture and cook for about two minutes
add the sugar to the mangoes…
then pour into the pot and evenly coat with the curry
Pour a little water and add the chadon beni now.
Cook for another 5 -7 minutes to allow the curry
to infuse and water to evaporate.
The mango should have a semi dry, paste like
consistency when done. Season to taste and serve.

I sometimes add a little more pepper or sugar according to how sour the mangoes were. The end result should be a semi sweet but peppery taste. Well, I hope you all enjoy the recipe it was a joy for me to post it. Bye!

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Hello my fellow Trini! I have to say that your site is great. I read the express everyday online and I am so saddened by everything going on down there but you and your site always bring a smile to my face…okay,okay, sometimes I am vexed that I can’t have what you are cooking. I do want to say that your site is wonderful and I wish you the best. Keep on posting those recipes and I will keep on reading(and drooling)

PS
    If cooking is not your first love then you must be a heck of a guitar
    player.

Trini in Ca

2. says

Thank you Trini in Ca. I will continue to share these trini recipes that I have come to enjoy that way it won’t be lost in time. By the way how did you know I played guitar?

3. Anonymous says

Trying your recipe! I started just as the electricity went out and unfortunately couldn’t remember the recipe exactly. Does it matter if I add the sugar to the boiling water??

4. says

Ok this is a first, but just as in the pic we usually add the sugar after boiling the mango, so I think this will matter. I never saw anyone do it otherwise but if you like experimenting you could try it and tell me the results. I would love to hear about it.

5. says

Thanks so much, this is exactly how I remember Curry Mango tasting all those years ago. I followed your recipe exactly, I went to our local Carribean Market here in Maryland, purchased the ingredients you have listed, and Oh la la, my cravings have been satified.

I made a pot of stew chicken, to go with it my family really enjoyed it, now I just have to obtain a recipe, and the skill to make fresh Roti skins.

Thanks again, for this great site, Just think I’d still be suffering if it were not for this web site, My back home cravings just can’t do with out you!!!!!!!!!!!

6. says

It’s great to hear how the recipes I post are helping my fellow Trinis and Trinis at heart all over the world. Apryl thank you so much, comments like these mean the world to me. I am truly accomplishing what I have set out to do. Oh and I have already posted buss up shut and dhalpuri so check it out. :-)

7. says

I am going to try this recipe and let you know if I’ve FINALLY perfected my curried mango. Too bad we don’t have good GREEN mango here, but whatever I get here in Germany will just have to do.

8. says

I’m not Trini, but my husband is and I have come to love the food! I had curry mango for the first time and fell in love, and I’m so happy to find this amazing recipe online, as well as your blog! The last time I had curry mango, the pits were left in, is it okay to leave them in?

9. says

Has anyone had this with Anchar Masala? My mother in law is telling me to make it with that spice… I cant find it anywhere on the internet…

10. says

I made this using granny smith apples and it was amazing. Thank you so much. I used more cilantro and it’s Amchar Masala, we use Chief’s brand, you could find it in a caribbean market or indian grocery.

11. casino says

You need to post a tutorial for cutting up mangos. When I cut them up, they don’t come out anything like the picture you have here. It looks like you still have the skin attached.

12. Mimi says

Hello Felix. My parents were Chinese Trinis. They had their own restaurant in Flatbush Brooklyn many years ago called “Trinidad Chow Mein”. I didn’t grow up with any West Indian cooking skills but I sure do love the food. I live in New England now and it is very hard to find unripe mangos and many of the other ingredients. Thank you for posting the substitutions. Instead of saffron powder can I use the actual saffron strands? Also can I use ripe mango and then omit the sugar afterward? Thank you for your time.

• says

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. the saffron I’m referring to is really turmeric. So, look for turmeric when you’re shopping. As for the mangoes, they have to be half ripe so you can get the sour taste into the dish. The taste you’re looking for in the end is a semi sweet but peppery taste.

13. Mimi says

Sorry for so many reposts. Ok I have turmeric. But I don’t think I’ll be able to find half ripe mangos. Thanks for responding so quickly.

14. Rese says

My first time trying this, and it really came out good. One thing though, did you really mean 2 tbs salt or 2 tsp, because I found it to be too salty.

• says

First of all, if it’s too salty you can always adjust the salt to your liking. Secondly, the salt is only used when you’re boiling the mangoes and then the water is drained.