Simply Trini Cooking

menu navigation

push messages

1. Anonymous
    March 15, 2009 • 2:41 pm

Hello my fellow Trini! I have to say that your site is great. I read the express everyday online and I am so saddened by everything going on down there but you and your site always bring a smile to my face…okay,okay, sometimes I am vexed that I can’t have what you are cooking. I do want to say that your site is wonderful and I wish you the best. Keep on posting those recipes and I will keep on reading(and drooling)

PS
    If cooking is not your first love then you must be a heck of a guitar
    player.

Trini in Ca

2. Raz4125
    March 16, 2009 • 12:43 am

Thank you Trini in Ca. I will continue to share these trini recipes that I have come to enjoy that way it won’t be lost in time. By the way how did you know I played guitar?

3. Anonymous
    April 15, 2009 • 10:48 pm

Trying your recipe! I started just as the electricity went out and unfortunately couldn’t remember the recipe exactly. Does it matter if I add the sugar to the boiling water??

4. raz4125
    April 16, 2009 • 2:05 am

Ok this is a first, but just as in the pic we usually add the sugar after boiling the mango, so I think this will matter. I never saw anyone do it otherwise but if you like experimenting you could try it and tell me the results. I would love to hear about it.

5. apryl
    September 21, 2009 • 12:31 am

Thanks so much, this is exactly how I remember Curry Mango tasting all those years ago. I followed your recipe exactly, I went to our local Carribean Market here in Maryland, purchased the ingredients you have listed, and Oh la la, my cravings have been satified.

I made a pot of stew chicken, to go with it my family really enjoyed it, now I just have to obtain a recipe, and the skill to make fresh Roti skins.

Thanks again, for this great site, Just think I’d still be suffering if it were not for this web site, My back home cravings just can’t do with out you!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Felix
    September 21, 2009 • 12:53 am

It’s great to hear how the recipes I post are helping my fellow Trinis and Trinis at heart all over the world. Apryl thank you so much, comments like these mean the world to me. I am truly accomplishing what I have set out to do. Oh and I have already posted buss up shut and dhalpuri so check it out. :-)

7. ally
    January 24, 2010 • 11:31 pm

I am going to try this recipe and let you know if I’ve FINALLY perfected my curried mango. Too bad we don’t have good GREEN mango here, but whatever I get here in Germany will just have to do.

8. stef-fanny
    January 26, 2011 • 11:05 pm

I’m not Trini, but my husband is and I have come to love the food! I had curry mango for the first time and fell in love, and I’m so happy to find this amazing recipe online, as well as your blog! The last time I had curry mango, the pits were left in, is it okay to leave them in?

9. Felix
    January 26, 2011 • 11:59 pm

Hi Stef-fanny,

Nice of you to drop by. We usually remove the insides of the seed. I hope this is what you’re referring to as the pits. See this pic

10. Denika
    April 1, 2011 • 9:12 am

Is there a substitution that can be used for the chadon beni?

11. Felix
    April 2, 2011 • 2:57 am

You can use cilantro but use a little more since cilantro is not as pungent as Chadon Beni

12. Chrissy
    June 27, 2011 • 4:46 pm

Has anyone had this with Anchar Masala? My mother in law is telling me to make it with that spice… I cant find it anywhere on the internet…

13. raja
    August 21, 2011 • 11:10 pm

I made this using granny smith apples and it was amazing. Thank you so much. I used more cilantro and it’s Amchar Masala, we use Chief’s brand, you could find it in a caribbean market or indian grocery.

14. Nivi
    April 12, 2012 • 5:19 am

i did this for the first time today…followed your directions,it tasted amazing!!!! I love “Simply Trini Cooking”

15. Felix
    April 12, 2012 • 7:45 pm

16. casino
    September 22, 2012 • 5:38 pm

You need to post a tutorial for cutting up mangos. When I cut them up, they don’t come out anything like the picture you have here. It looks like you still have the skin attached.

• Felix
      September 22, 2012 • 10:47 pm

Yes the skin is still on since it cooks soft…No need to peel :-)

17. Mimi
    June 23, 2013 • 7:30 am

Hello Felix. My parents were Chinese Trinis. They had their own restaurant in Flatbush Brooklyn many years ago called “Trinidad Chow Mein”. I didn’t grow up with any West Indian cooking skills but I sure do love the food. I live in New England now and it is very hard to find unripe mangos and many of the other ingredients. Thank you for posting the substitutions. Instead of saffron powder can I use the actual saffron strands? Also can I use ripe mango and then omit the sugar afterward? Thank you for your time.

• Felix
      June 23, 2013 • 10:11 am

Hi Mimi,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. the saffron I’m referring to is really turmeric. So, look for turmeric when you’re shopping. As for the mangoes, they have to be half ripe so you can get the sour taste into the dish. The taste you’re looking for in the end is a semi sweet but peppery taste.

18. Mimi
    June 23, 2013 • 3:19 pm

Sorry for so many reposts. Ok I have turmeric. But I don’t think I’ll be able to find half ripe mangos. Thanks for responding so quickly.

iPad Theme