How to make Browning Trini Style

I can’t really call this a recipe but rather a technique. Browning is really caramelized sugar and water that is used when we are preparing our famous Pelau and black cake. Although I showed you all how to make pelau by burning the sugar etc. you can also use the browning to save time but you have to be careful and not put too much, because the pelau would be too dark and taste bitter.

BROWNING
Pour 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar into a pot.

Allow to bubble until all the sugar has melted.

Continue stirring until a dark chocolate colour is achieved.

Gradually pour the water little by little until you have a light syrup like consistency.

Well that seemed easy enough to follow. Just a precaution, when you are pouring the water be careful. That is why I said little by little because this could burn you. See you next time, bye!

, , , , ,

6 Responses to How to make Browning Trini Style

1. Jennifer Cote November 13, 2008 at 3:48 pm #

I like the play-by-play description with pictures! I tell people all the time: It’s pretty easy to make! And isn’t it good…
    I should try thinning it with just water. We usually use cream, and make it into caramel sauce. Either way, Yummm!
    : )
    Jen

2. Dennis August 14, 2009 at 10:36 pm #

What kind of sugar is that? It does not look brown, like what we call “brown sugar” in the USA.

3. Felix August 15, 2009 at 1:32 am #

It is brown. The sugar looks like that because of the flash from the camera.

4. International Lover December 15, 2011 at 4:18 am #

How much water should you use? And is the sugar melting by itself?

5. Sherry December 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

I tried this, but it just crystalises once it cools. Turns into rock. Does it need to be used immediately? Making black cake.

Thanks

• Felix December 14, 2013 at 9:27 am #

That’s easy you allowed the sugar to cook too much but then I’m wondering how much water did you add. This is supposed to be more liquid than anything. Try it again and don’t give up. I too had my ups and downs in cooking.