Trini Pepper Sauce

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites
Trini Pepper sauce is a favorite and a must in cooking with my family. They can’t do without it. My mother who has devoted so much time in making her own homemade pepper sauce has become a professional pepper sauce maker. Her hot pepper sauce is used in almost every dish. I am just used to the hot burning aromatic taste of pepper. However, I warn you to be careful with the amount you use, especially if you are not used to it.

The Burning Sensation of  A Trini Pepper Sauce

Scotch bonnet chili peppers are the favorite here in Trinidad as in the Caribbean. But then there are other very hot varieties like Congo and Seven Pot. Seven pot pepper, especially, is so hot that you cannot hold it with your bare hands or else your hands will burn you. That is one hot pepper I’ve come to respect. Congo pepper is brown in colour and looks really nice but don’t be mistaken, it is very ,very (and I stress on the very) hot as well.

Trini Pepper Sauce, Trinidad pepper saucePepper Sauce
Besides the burning sensation of hot peppers, hot peppers have their own nutritional value. For lovers of hot pepper, you should be glad to know that it contains vitamins A, C, and E and also capsicum. If I feel a little stuffy all I do is eat something with a little pepper sauce and in no time my sinuses get cleared up, I’ve also seen the pepper leaf being used with soft candle to treat boils long time.

Great in other dishes

So other than the heat you see, hot pepper has it’s benefits and as a Trini that has grown accustomed to a little pepper, I must say that there are some foods that doesn’t taste good without it; have you ever eaten doubles without slight pepper? or how about a Mango Chutney or Kuchela? It just doesn’t taste the same so get used to it and enjoy life on the hot, spicy, trini side. Anyhow, here’s Pepper Sauce (trini style).

…..Before I start, I was just reminiscing about my boy days …..when I was young I could remember a skipping rope game those girls used to play. And then there would be a part where they would say salt ,vinegar, mustard, pepper, pepper…well you know by the time they reach pepper you better be jumping fast or else you would really feel the sting of the cow rope.. Thinking back now, little did they know that they were repeating the ingredients for pepper sauce. What a coincidence… OK! OK! enough reminiscing for one day. Time for some Pepper Sauce. Enjoy!

Trini Pepper Sauce Recipe

PEPPER SAUCE

20 hot peppers

3 heads of garlic

2 cups vinegar

1 tbsp salt

2 tbsp mustard

3 bundles Chadon Beni(about 18 leaves)

Wash peppers and set aside

Clean garlic cloves and chop the Chadon Beni

Using about 1 cup of vinegar blend the garlic and chadon beni
Pour out in a bowl and set aside
Blend the peppers in 1 cup of vinegar
For safe measure use a spoon when handling the peppers

Pour out the blended pepper into the bowl and add salt and mustard.
Mix thoroughly.
Place in a bottle and store in a cool place.

Storing  Your Trini Pepper Sauce

Because of the vinegar used, this pepper sauce doesn’t really need to be refrigerated. My mom usually places it in a cupboard and it lasts very long, provided you don’t dip a “dirty” spoon into it. As a rule at home, we don’t ever dip spoons into our pepper sauce but rather, pour it out into the spoon.OK! so now you have a nice bottle of trini style pepper sauce on your counter like me, what about clean up? All the utensils used in making the pepper sauce is soaked in hot water before washing. What you could do is put a pot of water to boil while you’re blending up the pepper so that when you’re finished you could immediately soak all the utensils.
Well that’s it for one HOT!!! post. Before I go, I want to thank those of you who have made requests for recipes, namely Neisha and Koren-Elizabeth (they know themselves). If anyone wants to contact me, my email is at the bottom of the webpage.

Happy cooking to all, “Ah gone!”

Don’t forget to leave your comment for this Trini Pepper Sauce in the comment box below.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

I’ve tried this recipe several times and I’m not going to try any others for a while……it’s very tasty & can be as hot as necessary……I added a few “Congo” peppers in my last brewing.
    Thanks for sharing….Truly appreciated

2. says

Just made this the other day. I had to ride my bike 2 hours to the Guayanese/Trini part of Brooklyn to find the shado beni but it was worth it. Never buying hot sauce again.

3. says

Hi Felix,
    How are you? I will try this sauce, but do you have the one to make pepper sauce chunky style? I remember having that in trinidad. I believe they would put fresh lime slices in it. Thanks.
    Joanne

4. says

Hello Felix.
    I am a Trini transplant living in Oklahoma and it might be difficult to get Chadon Beni down here. Is there another herb that I might substitute for Chadon Beni?
    Thank you.

Nello

5. says

I am a pepper eating champion as is all trinis….I have eaten many varieties of pepper from sweet to very spicy it is an addicition as I religiously eat the hottest sacue with my food as well as any hot pepper I can find…flavor is key and i find this combination of ingredients the most flavorful…cheers

6. Andréa says

Hi Felix,

like Nello, I cannot find Chadon Beni in Fredericton, and am not too keen on buying it online… I miss having it growing in my backyard!

Is there any substitute? I was thinking coriander, but wondered if you have some ideas.

Thank you!

7. Sophia says

Hi Felix,

Would the vinegar not give it a sort of bitter-ish or acidic taste? I want to make this, but I don’t like acidic tasting pepper sauce…

• says

The main purpose of the vinegar is to preserve the pepper sauce. This pepper sauce does not taste acidic. If you want you can substitute it with water but don’t expect it to last long.

8. Katie says

Just FYI….my man is Trini, I am not….I decided to try and surprise him one day (he is a pepper sauce junkie….and was about to run out!) and make this for him. Wellll……He thought it was great! Thanks a TON for this! He was so happy! :) Cant wait to try and make other things!

9. MIchelle says

Hey there – this looks so great! I live in Singapore and am dying for a roti always… :( I am feeling very motivated to make this and to try to at least make some doubles to go with it, and will try it with cilantro as I can’t find chadon beni… One thing – can I also substitute vinegar with lime juice? I think I’ve had it made that way before too… Thanks so much for this!!!!! :) Michelle

• says

Hi Michelle.
      You’re welcome. Yes, you can substitute the vinegar with lime juice. It should not be a problem, however keep it refrigerated.

10. Tyler says

Hi there!

When is the pepper sauce ready to eat? Does it have to sit for awhile?

Planning on making this tonight!

Thanks,

11. Pat says

Help, I was born in St Kitts but have lived in the UK since I was 3. I love trying different receipes and different cuisines. I love the idea of your green seasoning and make my own version but would love to try your version but cannot find chadon beni/shado beni anywhere and get blank looks when I make enquiries! Also can you tell me what is culantro or cilantro.

12. Henry says

Hey Felix thanks for this Pepper Sauce. I love me some flavorful hot pepper sauce being from St.Kitts. My Auntie used to make pepper sauce as a kid growing up on a bit of a farm growing our own food aplenty. Her’s used to have some carrots in it i remember. But anyway i live in Pittsburgh PA now and West Indian ingredients are hard to find here. Asked my grocery several times if they can carry Scotch Bonnet peppers, its seasonal here only in summer time. Congo Peppers only one i can find along with Ghost Peppers and Birds Eye Chili. But i can improvise and know how to so i will use this recipe as well the Lime one both to make my own pepper sauce from now on. Chadon Benny i can find at a nice Asian Store downtown that carry unusual ingredients compared to other grocery. And now i got a use for that empty glass milk bottle, Hot Pepper Sauce.

13. Travis says

Hi there,
    Quick question. If I was to add a mango or pineapple into this pepper sauce as part of he blending process, do I have to worry about the sauce spoiling if I use vinegar? I’m wondering if the vinegar will preserve the mango or pineapple in the sauce with the other ingredients?