Sea Moss Drink

Whenever I go to the beach I always find that the food purchased at the beach always taste more scrumptious. The fish is always larger and fresher, not to mention tastier. If you have ever eaten shark and bake at Maracas Bay or a white fish fillet in Toco, you know what I mean. That is why I always make sure to buy some fish before I leave for home from the beach. However, fishermen will not allow you to just buy fish, they will also encourage you to buy some sea moss.
Men in Trinidad are not bashful to claim how much an elixir and aphrodisiac the sea moss drink is. It is believed to be an excellent reviver and energizer or as we say in Trini “it good for de back”. This maybe true but, you know how people are; they will tell you anything to sell their sea moss. For those of you don’t know sea moss is a type of sea weed that’s dried and sold at the market etc.
Sea Moss Drink, Trinidad sea mossSea moss drink

Anyway, the nutritional content of sea moss could probably account for it being considered so good for you. Sea moss contains many vital minerals and vitamins. Dried sea moss has 45 calories per cup of which 12% comes from fat, 70% from carbohydrates and 18% from protein. Its high quantity of mucilage is highly recommended to treat digestive conditions, ulceration of the stomach and duodenum, and inflammation of the urinary system.

The sea moss drink Trinidadians enjoy therefore is very potent and energizing . Whether it is an aphrodisiac or not, is left up to the drinker to decide so try it out, mix up a batch and tell me what you think :^)

SEA MOSS DRINK

1 lb. sea moss

2 limes

water

1 tin condensed milk

2 tsp. Angostura bitters

sugar to taste

1 pk ( 250ml) evaporated milk

1 stick of cinnamon

Clean the sea moss before it is soaked.
(the roots of the sea moss may have bits of debris from where it held onto)
Soak the sea moss with lime juice overnight.
Soaking eliminates the fresh scent of the sea moss.

Wash and boil with the cinnamon until the sea moss becomes jelly like.

Remove the cinnamon then blend and strain the mixture.
Leave to cool. (
Notice how it gets like gelatin when it cools)
Use about half of the cooled mixture.
(The rest can be refrigerated or frozen to make more later)
Place in a blender and add milk (condensed and evaporated)
Blend until it becomes smooth and lose.
Add bitters and sugar to taste. Mix well and serve with ice.

Well, that’s it for this post. This is a delicious drink you must try…I believe I still have some in the fridge. I think I’m going to pour me a glass right now… Good bye until next time and cheers!

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Sea Moss Drink

1. Ivy September 9, 2008 at 2:04 pm #

Well, this is something we can’t find in Greece but the qualities of sea weed is known. It looks good and I haven’t seen ancostura being used for ages. I used to put it in brandy sour.

• Marilyn Narine June 29, 2013 at 9:39 am #

Ivy, you find can Angostura Bitters at any Thanopoulos supermarket in the Northern Suburbs of Athens.

2. simplytrinicooking.com October 2, 2008 at 11:14 pm #

Born and bred in Trinidad,Agostura bitters is a mainstay in my kitchen. I thought it was available everywhere.

3. denise June 1, 2009 at 5:37 pm #

Is seamoss considered a blood builder?

4. Felix Padilla June 1, 2009 at 9:56 pm #

I’m not sure of the seamoss but to my knowledge, beet is more considered a blood builder.

5. Island pepperpot March 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

I bought some sea moss while visiting Barbados, I will be making it this week-end, Loved your recipe did not soak mine with lime found your recipe late, great point with the lime next time I will add the lime. I drank seamoss as a Child growing up in Dominica and Antigua, I am always happy when I travel to the Caribbean and find it. Found these at the Farmers market in Barbados. Thanks for sharing

6. Felix March 6, 2011 at 7:44 am #

I believe anyone growing up in the Caribbean would have drunk sea moss at some time. This too was a regular drink at home especially when someone brought it from the North Coast like Maracas Bay or Toco…Thank you for stopping by :-)

7. krixxman May 30, 2011 at 1:29 am #

I got a whole lot of seaweed in Some back road in Toco about a week ago and tonight I’m making up a batch of some of that good stuff.

8. She-Travels.com August 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

I absolutely LOVE this drink! If I could get it in Toronto, this is all I will drink!

9. Manage September 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

I have a question .where can I buy seamoss in the usa atleast order it.if anyone has any good answers please respond.thks

10. Author : Damon Beharry September 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

Should get it in any West Indian green grocer. May be only Jamaican version, but moss is moss!

11. sparkle theodore July 10, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

can you please post a recipe for beet root punch please thank you

12. Adina January 16, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

hi you can find seamoss at any chinese store

13. Ricardo Douglas February 4, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

If you are in NY you can get seamoss @ Labay Market 1127 Nostrand ave Brooklyn NY, they stock good West Indian fruits and vegetables the best breadfruit anywhere! and they’re West Indian owned (support our own!)

14. Kevin J. Timothy May 27, 2014 at 2:28 pm #

Very good recipe. I had to go all the way to Orlando (from Tampa Bay) to grab some. Had an excellent time at the 2014 Orlando Caribbean Carnival, but an even better time finding all of my TrinBago delicaciies in the area.

15. Frederick Lew-a-king July 8, 2014 at 12:35 pm #