Simply Trini Cooking

menu navigation

push messages

1. Becky
    September 19, 2008 • 3:49 pm

I so agree with you……..i don’t ever associate certain foods with being poor people food.
    We used to say that about corned beef and rice lol.
    My son actually like corned beef and rice and i make it once a week.

I wish i could get some dasheen bush, i usually sub with spinach but its not the same IMO.

Your cheese paste yesterday also brought back memories ,its been so long since i had cheese paste sandwiches.
    I still do the potted meat ones every now and then.

2. Cynthia
    September 19, 2008 • 7:26 pm

It is sad indeed that people perceive food in that way but watch at all the celebrity chefs these days, it is those basic ingredients and dishes that they are returning to. I for one am a great fan of local cuisine the world over. Peasant food is the food.

And you are right, we don’t realise how good and what great food we have.

I think I will try your dish with some thick leaf bhaji, don’t get dasheen leave bhaji here in Barbados.

3. simplytrinicooking.com
    September 19, 2008 • 9:08 pm

Talking about corned beef and rice Becky, I think I will have to do that one . It’s been a while since I’ve had corned beef. My mother used to curry it with potato… Oh gosh! my mouth is watering already.

Cynthia, I wish I could send some dasheen bush for you. Now that you’ve said it, our West Indian cuisine should not be taken for granted. All these hotels with their fancy name dishes are not truly reflecting our culture. Too besides, half of those local chefs who playing “big ting” now, started at home making pelau :^)

4. Becky
    September 20, 2008 • 7:48 pm

I made the curry corned beef ,my mom use to make it too ,i love it but no one else here really cared for it. I usually do a stew with it where you can add potatoes if you like and i also make it dry sauted in some onion and garlic served with rice or bakes,they love it this way the best!!

5. Boo
    May 18, 2010 • 4:38 am

HI, this is my first post here and I must say a huge thank you for all the great recipes that has brought back such wonderful memories. I live in the US and it’s very difficult to get some of the ingredients but I am determined because I just have to make some of these dishes! Also my hubby is Caucasian and I want him to try it since he has tried a few of our dishes already, he has been open to trying more things recently so I am going to take advantage of it and let him taste delicious Trini food! Thanks again, keep up the great work! :o)

6. Katricia
    June 21, 2010 • 11:44 pm

Well if Dasheen bush and rice is considered poor people food, well i like being poor. Love love this type of food, living in the US and I’m trying to raise my kids on this type of food and not the typical fast food.

Felix thank you for these posts, they are great and continue posting these so call poor man food.

7. Ayana
    May 7, 2011 • 11:54 am

Just discovered your blog. Love it!! This here is one of my favourite foods on earth. I usually do it with dhal and rice (omitting the pigtail). Before we got married, my husband never even heard of dasheen bush bhaji (only the spinach)…and now he actually prefers this one. BTW – I plan to try your geera pork soon.

8. judy
    January 6, 2012 • 8:19 pm

Every time I am looking to make something different your recipes never fail me. I recently visited the West Indies pick up some dasheen leaves and pigtails and try this recipe my husband love it and ask for more in the U.S.. you pay more for pigtails but I agree with you even though you could afford to buy meat it is still nice to eat pigtail and I have a small dog who also loves pigtails. Thank you for the great recipes Judy

9. Fernella
    January 29, 2013 • 6:07 pm

I have to admit. I’ve always hated Dasheen bush. I love Dasheen but the slimy bush was always too much for me. I miss rice, dhal and tomato choka!!!

iPad Theme