Pholourie

Today I present to you another authentic trini recipe, Pholourie (pronounced po-lor-ree…the “ph” is pronounced as is and not as “f ” in Standard English). The origin of it is somewhat obscure, like doubles, since no one person can say they were the first to make it, although everyone would have their own story as to how it came about.

Pholourie is basically a batter, fried in oil by the spoonfuls and served with a sauce or chutney of some kind. Usually the popular sauces are tambran (tamarind) sauce, mango chutney or any other chutney for that fact. I personally salivate when I see pholourie served with chadon beni chutney, there’s absolutely nothing like it in this world. See what I mean,…I’m actually salivating as I write about chadon beni chutney.

Now, as with all recipes, everyone has their own spin to this recipe, some people like to make pholourie with a little split peas powder added to it, others don’t (like myself). When we make pholourie we don’t use split peas powder but that’s just our own tradition at home. So if you feel like experimenting you could try it with a little split peas powder. In fact you don’t even have to make the batter from scratch anymore, because there is instant pholourie mix being sold.
Pholourie is sold everywhere (at palours, the market, and busy street corners); it is popular at football matches, family day celebration, harvests, and even parties and fetes. Wherever there are people enjoying themselves, look out for Pholourie. It is perhaps more popular than doubles because of its versatility. This finger food is delicious and loved by all.
Pholourie, how to make trini pholouriePholourie with three sides of sauces:
(from top left) chadon beni chutney, tambran sauce, and mango chutney.
Pholourie goes with just about any sauce. I like it with chadon beni chutney, as I said before , and when I organized the sauces and the pholourie for this picture, I felt as if I had forgotten to invite all my sisters and their husbands to a little lime.

However, I don’t recommend you eat this snack everyday, it is a little too oily. Lately, I’ve found that you can oven heat the pholourie to remove some of the oil from frying. It comes out crispier and drier. You can also heat it like this if you freeze them for later use.

So, I hope you enjoy making this recipe. The method I show here is very easy to make and easy to clean up when done.

PHOLOURIE

1 lb. flour (4 cups)
10 leaves culantro(chadon beni)
5 small cloves garlic
1 small hot pepper
1/2 tsp. saffron ( turmeric powder)
1 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Oil for frying

Mix the flour, yeast and baking powder.
Add the saffron….
…and salt. Mix well.
In a separate bowl mix minced culantro leaves, minced hot peppers, garlic and water.
Add about three tablespoons of it to the flour a little at a time while mixing. Until all of the mixture is incorporated.

Mix to a smooth thick paste and leave to raise for about an hour
Use a tablespoon to drop batter into oil for frying.
The spoon should be dipped into a cup of water before it is dipped in the batter.
This allows the batter to drop freely from the spoon.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet and drop batter of tablespoonful into the hot oil.
Cook until slightly brown.

Drain and place on paper towels.
Pholourie, ready to be served and enjoyed!

That’s it for this post. See you for another exciting post tomorrow. Bye!

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

49 Responses to Pholourie

1. neisha September 22, 2008 at 5:38 pm #

great! can’t wait to use the recipe. Did not know you don’t have to use split peas….

2. Jean September 22, 2008 at 9:45 pm #

I love your blog!!! I am so proud of you. I get so excited when I read your posts. All my favourite foods. Keep dem comin…

3. simplytrinicooking.com September 22, 2008 at 10:09 pm #

I find that the pholourie comes out lighter but that’s just my opinion.:^)

Jean, I feel happy to represent Trinidad and Tobago in this way. But I’m not alone my good friend Chennette does an exceptional job herself. Thank you for such an uplifting comment. Do pass by again }|{

4. Trini Princesssa January 9, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

Hello,

Do you ever use split pea flour to make this?

5. simplytrinicooking.com January 10, 2009 at 2:34 am #

Personally I don’t use the split peas flour to make pholourie but some people use it when they’re making pholourie. It’s just my personal preference I guess. Thank you for your comment :^)

• Carolyn October 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

true pholourie has split peas powder in. your version is what they call “flour pholourie” the modern way to save especially when made for sale! it taste good none the less however i real recipe should have the split peas.

6. trini_ianross July 5, 2009 at 3:45 pm #

hey felix, I just tried this recipe and I have to say that the phoulorie came out perfect. I have tried other recipes, but this one is the best that I have ever tried. They were visually and texturally perfect. I am still waiting on that “doubles” recipe. Thanks again Felix.

7. Felix July 5, 2009 at 7:25 pm #

Seems like everyone is waiting for that recipe (smile)I’ll have to do it soon.

8. Annehara July 29, 2009 at 1:22 pm #

I’m a Trini living in Botswana and am starved for Trini street food! I have had no choice but to learn to make these things on my own. I have to say that I also prefer pholourie made without split pea flour. I find that when you add this flour it gives it a heavy texture.

9. Annehara July 30, 2009 at 9:10 am #

I tried ur recipe and I really enjoyed it. I had it with tamarind sauce since we don’t have green mangoes this side. It’s been a while since I had pholourie and it just reminded me of my school days! Now all I want is a good doubles recipe!!

10. Felix July 30, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

Annehara thank you for commenting. I’m glad that you enjoyed the pholourie. The doubles recipe is in the works so you don’t have to wait too long. Have a nice day.

11. AlmondEyedTrini August 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

How should I modify the recipe if I have self-rising flour?

12. Felix August 3, 2010 at 12:32 am #

I am sorry, you cannot substitute self-rising flour in this recipe. The self-rising flour has more salt and baking powder than is called for in the recipe.

1 cup of self-rising flour has 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. salt.

13. JEWELS August 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

can you do without the culantro in this recipe

14. Felix August 19, 2010 at 12:34 am #

The chadon beni gives it a different taste. But if you can’t get it you can use cilantro.

15. Wezli February 7, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

I love this recipe, put in more new ones for this babylon year 2011!

16. Wezli February 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

It is very easy and simple! Bring more recipes for this babylon year 2011!

17. Natty July 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm #

Excellent recipe! I tried it and my family loved it! Seeing that we live in the U.S its difficult to find these delicacies…but NOW I can make them on my own and feel like I’m back home thanks to you. :-) 5 stars from me.

18. Rissy :) August 9, 2011 at 2:52 am #

I really enjoy your recipes. I just made 2 batches of Pholourie today because I made the mistake of using a split pea recipe and I sure didn’t like it. This recipe was amazing; the Pholourie came out just how I like it. Thanks again.

19. Felix August 9, 2011 at 4:58 am #

You’re welcome Rissy. Might I ask where you got the other recipe from? Just curious :-)

• Trinisista October 7, 2012 at 2:34 am #

Hi Felix
      I tried the split pea one from Sarina’s website.
      But I like the flour one better too and I have used yours before and it does taste like home :)
      Thanks for all your hard work and time to share these with us

• Felix October 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Thank you my Trini sista for trying out the recipe :-)

20. Brainless Housewife February 26, 2012 at 12:20 am #

1lb of flour to 1 cup of water, am I reading this right? Its not working for me, its not coming out as a smooth paste, more like a tough dough. Help! I’m making this for company!

21. Felix February 26, 2012 at 3:13 am #

This recipe has been done by many readers without any problems. Double check your measurements and follow the instructions and you’ll be on the right track. If you still have any questions you can contact me. :-)

22. Meli April 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

I truly think you should be honored for your works. The recipes are accurate and result in the most flavorful and delicious. Thank you for taking your time to making Trini cooking easy and worthwhile.

23. Felix April 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

24. Trinisista October 7, 2012 at 2:39 am #

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post these delicious trini recipes, they help pass on traditional recipes to us Trinis living abroad and to our children

25. gname2010 November 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

My daughter wanted pholourie for her birthday and I used your recipe and it turned out perfect.
    She had to help cook it but :) it was fun.
    Thanks for your recipes!

26. Kaitav November 15, 2012 at 1:35 am #

Hi!! Could the water be adjusted to help it reach the “smooth thick paste” consistency? I think I need more than one cup to the 1 lb of flour…….

• Felix November 15, 2012 at 2:43 am #

Those measurements should not be tampered with. If you add more water the batter will fall apart. What you need to work on is your technique….You have add the water gradually and mix. only then you will get the the “smooth thick paste” consistency.

• Kaitav November 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Gracias, maybe that’s where I went wrong the gradual mixing, so I just add three tbsp until it’s all incorpotated then? I need the extra help and I am hopeless in the kitchen :( Thank you so much! I really want to make this for a get together cause no one here has ever had that, I found tamarind so I made the sauce already :)

• Felix November 15, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

Hi Kaitav I see you’re very excited to make the pholourie but when trying to make a dish that has some level of difficulty you have to take your time :-) OK let’s see what I mean by that…. You’re not just adding 3 tbsp of the “seasoned water” mixture. You are going to add the mixture gradually, 3 tbsp at a time, until all the mixture is incorporated into the batter. I guess this was the confusing part for you. Anyhow, I cleared it up a bit for future readers. Thanks… and save 2 pholourie with tambran sauce for me lol :-)

27. Lyanna November 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Hey there, I want to try this. 1 lb of flour equates to four cups and I think that is too much to experiment with (plus it’s just me and the huzzie). So can I half the measurements then, so half pound, which will be 2 cups and half cup water? I don’t want to experiment till I get ur expert advice, oh and I will have to adjust the yeast too…..duhhh

• Felix November 15, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

Ok Lyanna before I get to halving the recipe your measurements have to be adjusted. 1 lb of flour = 453.6g = 2 cups …. Now that you have the right measurement would you still want to half the recipe? write me back and I’ll try to help. Thanks for commenting :-)

• Lyanna November 16, 2012 at 1:14 am #

I looked all over the internet for a converison and all the sites I saw for flour it’s four cups, with rice it’s two for eg: http://www.barryfarm.com/How_tos/how_many_cups_in_a_pound_of.htm
        I also checked it on the conversion table infront of the Naps cook book.
        In any case – I TRIED it, with four cups of flour which is what I saw as the conversion, I didn’t measure the water but I did use ur measurement for everything else.i.e the yeast, baking powder etc and it came out as I wanted it to, they were super light and uber crispy on the outside.
        Now my confusion is, if u measurements are for two cups and I indeed used four, how come they came out so good?

• Felix November 16, 2012 at 2:05 am #

My conversion was based on an online converter http://southernfood.about.com/library/info/blconv.htm guess I can’t trust those converters lol. Did a bit of checking using one of my more accurate nutrition software and it’s closer to 4: 3.63 actually. So 4 cups is the closer measurement. That’s why it came out so good. I’m gonna add that little info to the recipe. Thanks :-)

• Lyanna November 16, 2012 at 2:36 am #

Yay!! That’s why I guess some other users were having trouble with the water ratio and reaching the consistency, I guess it would be two cups then…. I just incorporated till I was satisfied with the batter. Now I feel like a pro pholourie maker, we ate to out hearts delight !! My huzzie kept referring to them as fritters, had to correct him ever so often “iz pholourie boi”

28. Lyanna November 16, 2012 at 1:17 am #

Here is another link to the conversion of flour:

29. shaarmila pardassie April 9, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

boy, yuh have ny mouth watering jus watching dem pholourie. By d way, if is one ting you cud spell.

• Felix April 9, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Thank you for your comment Shaarmila :)

30. Maribel May 19, 2013 at 4:35 pm #

Wow! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it’s very difficult to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance. I must say that you’ve done a excellent job with this. Also, the blog loads very quick for me on Chrome. Superb Blog!

31. Kelly June 15, 2013 at 12:19 am #

Omg thank u so much for this recipe …I search high and low before I found this, I followed the recipe as written and it came out great, just like the ones I grew up with in South Trinidad….Brought back childhood memories of buying this @ my school .25cents for 2:).

32. Ayana September 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Hi I tried the recipe last night. I had some split peas powder so I mixed with the flour too. It tasted great but I found that they came out…well flat- as in not round and spherical like pholourie should lol My son’s babysitter told me she thought it was little bakes – not good impression to have lol What may have been the problem? I was wondering if it was the pot cause my only iron pot is kinda large and so the oil level was low. Should the oil be high – what height so? Help!! lol :)

• Felix September 12, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

You guessed right Ayana. You need about 1 1/2″ to 2″ of oil so that it floats.

33. Ayana September 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Thanks so much!!! I figured so…well i will try again soon, and i will do it fully your way- no split peas powder. I made mango chutney sauce the last time and it came out almost like the best sauce a lady used to make in my old primary school. Just to perfect the pholourie and I will be good! Thanks again – I love your site. PS You need to get your own TV show – I will definitely watch!

34. Michelle January 8, 2014 at 11:17 pm #

Hi Felix, OK so I’ve been craving some and just made it. However, my dough wasn’t as wet looking as yours before letting it “rest.” My pholourie came out out thick and not light and fluffy. I followed everything exact, what did I do wrong? Not enough water? I’ve grown so used to having my mom and aunts make this now I’m having to learn this stuff on my own. Oh boy!

• Felix January 11, 2014 at 11:46 am #

Ok this is a consistent problem with some first timers. So I have to ask, how did you mix the flour and the chadon beni mixture?

35. Kay Wallace February 8, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

Hello I want to thank you for this recipe. I made the pholouri and it turned out marvelous. Again, thank you :-)!!

P.s -> I’m so Trini Now Lol..lol

36. Lydia August 30, 2014 at 7:29 am #

Thank you very much for this recipe .