Currants Roll

Most Trinis like to indulge in a little bit of pastry once in a while and when they do a currants roll is in order, well at least for me. I have gotten tired of the kind of “currants” roll that has either raisins or candied paw paw instead that some of our bakeries like to pass off as the real thing. Mind you, it tastes good but please don’t call it a currants roll. Call it a raisin roll or a candied fruit roll or something. Anyhow, I just wanted the real thing (with real currants) so we took out our pastry dough from the freezer and made some.I have grown fond of pastries and its versatility. I just have to remind myself not to eat too much of it, I certainly cannot allow myself to add on any more pounds. But for some reason I forgot about this and my wife rolled out the entire dough. She felt like a artist and curved it to see how it would bake. In the end she ended up with some really large currants roll everyone enjoyed. You can make smaller rolls buy cutting the dough in half before working it. You don’t have to make large rolls as we did. I hope you enjoy this recipe.

Currants Roll

CURRANTS ROLL

Prepared basic pastry dough
1 cup of currants
cinnamon powder
2 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter
milk

Roll out the dough and spread the butter, sprinkle the cinnamon
(according to your own taste)
spread and press in the currants, and sprinkle a little sugar.
Roll one long side of the dough and fold over.
Moisten the edge with a little milk, press together to seal.
Place on lightly greased baking sheet or dish. Start oven at moderate 350 F.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a rack and cut.

Well today was quite an adventure getting an error 404 and trying to fix it. I’m tired because of it but still happy I’m able to post. So we’re back. While I go to bed now enjoy your currants roll, this one is on me.

See you, bye!

, , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Currants Roll

1. Becky September 26, 2008 at 1:53 am #

WHOOO HOOOO you’re back,i was checking all day to see your recipe of the day.
    AND you posted the best ever!!
    Can’t wait to try these,i only get currants rolls when i go to New York and thats 5 hrs away.
    I’m glad you’re back!!

2. simplytrinicooking.com September 26, 2008 at 2:08 am #

I finally got it figured out thanks to nitecruzr’s advice. hope you enjoy the currants roll!

3. Becky September 26, 2008 at 11:17 pm #

Do you by any chance have a recipe for sugar buns ??
    I remember when i was little we use to buy them at Linda’s Bakery in St James ,or Peter’s Bakery in Caranege.

4. Arisha November 10, 2009 at 7:38 pm #

I just put the currnts roll in the oven a few minutes ago and its smelling good….I peaked at it in the oven and its strting to rise a little…can’t wait to indulge.

Can you plz do a post for pastelle pie and Jamaican beef patties, I will reall appreciate it!

5. Felix November 10, 2009 at 8:33 pm #

Did the pastelle already :-)

CORNMEAL PASTELLE http://www.simplytrinicooking.com/2008/01/just-love-those-cornmeal-dishes.html

FLOUR PASTELLE

I also did a beef pie pastry but I’m not sure this is the same as the Jamaican kind. Anyhow, here it is.

BEEF PIE

Enjoy your currants roll :-D

6. Sean September 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

Are the currants dried?

• Felix September 28, 2012 at 12:24 am #

Yep, the normal ones you’ll get in the baking goods section of the supermarket.

7. WKarien October 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

how much mik???

• Felix October 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

The milk is just to seal the edge that’s why I didn’t put a measurement, but if you still want to measure just average about 1/4 cup.

8. Alisha July 4, 2013 at 8:32 pm #

Cant wait to try this. You know the rolls with the coconut in them instead of currents? would it work if I just replaced the currants with shredded coconut? Thanks! :)

9. SEVARA BAILEY August 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm #

Do you have a coconut roll recipe? I just can’t seem to find it on here. Thanks

• Felix August 4, 2014 at 7:03 pm #