Simply Trini Cooking

menu navigation

push messages

1. Reeni
    September 7, 2008 • 1:16 am

Calling this corn soup is so deceiving! It has wonderful ingredients besides the corn like pumpkin and garbanzo beans. Delicious!

2. Ivy
    September 7, 2008 • 3:11 am

What’s not to like in this soup with all those yummy vegetables. I have never had whole corn ears before. The only way we eat them is by grilling them. I suppose they have to be extra tender to cook them because the ones we get are woody in the core.

3. simplytrinicooking.com
    September 7, 2008 • 3:04 pm

The way you eat them grilled, we call it roast corn and yes, the corn is usually green and tender to make the corn soup; they’re not as matured or full

4. Foodaholic
    December 16, 2008 • 4:27 pm

Looks good and filling. I have never seen a soup with corn like that in it before. Always just the corn kernels. Very interesting.

5. simplytrinicooking.com
    December 16, 2008 • 7:26 pm

Well foodaholic welcome to the world of Trini cooking. I have lots of other interesting dishes like this one in the blog. Thanks for your comment.

6. Roma
    April 28, 2010 • 1:07 pm

My my My …I recently got married and this is the world’s greatest site to me.great great great!

7. Felix
    April 28, 2010 • 1:38 pm

Congratulations Roma on your marriage. Thank you :-)

8. Cheezees
    February 8, 2012 • 1:26 am

Omg….this corn soup was bess. Ah swear it got even more delicious the next day when it “settled” and all the flavours were drawn out.

9. farah
    October 7, 2012 • 12:51 am

this was great…just omitted the channa and added potato.. kids.loved it…first time making corn soup…

• Felix
      October 7, 2012 • 1:28 pm

I like what you’re doing Farah. Keep on cooking :-)

10. victoria roopnarine
    October 17, 2012 • 12:50 am

Its a very delicious soup, love it

11. Elissa F
    November 17, 2012 • 7:37 am

Is it okay to leave out the pumpkin?

• Felix
      November 17, 2012 • 1:53 pm

Yep, just don’t leave out the corn lol!! :-)

12. mizenglish
    January 14, 2013 • 4:00 am

Did you ever use cream style corn instead of the dhal? Dhal is hard to come by where I am.

• Felix
      January 14, 2013 • 4:42 am

The best advice that I can give you is to use what you have available.

• kpatte23
      June 26, 2013 • 10:01 pm

mizenglish,
      I am with you, in that some of the ingredients is hard to come by. I used cream style corn (pureed some green seasoning I made). I use 1 can but pureed 3/4 and later added the rest of the can in the soup. No pumpkin, no chana in mine. Chicken stock and milk to replace some of the water and baking powder in the dumplings to make it lighter and cook faster.

When I realized I did not have all the ingredients, the Trini in me started to improvise. We function best under pressure and with little supply. The soup is a hit with my girlfriend and all our international friends. They can’t get enough of the Trini hand.

13. Anonymous
    July 21, 2013 • 5:19 am

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. Lots of people will surely benefit from your food writing. Cheers! :)

14. jen