Corn Soup (Trini Style)

In today’s post I have something of a treat; Trini style Corn Soup. Corn soup is real liming food in Trinidad; be it at a football game, Carnival, Panorama, a fete (all inclusive) or just a Friday evening lime with your friends, corn soup is a crowd favourite. I remember after work sometimes I would look for a corn soup man to buy a cup of piping hot corn soup and slowly sip on my way home. But this soup is not only considered street food, it is also a main dish like all the other soups we make.

Corn Soup (Trini Style), corn soup recipeCorn Soup

Now some of you might be saying “soup a main dish?”; our soups are usually thick with lots of ingredients like ground provision and dumplings and because of this, it is considered a whole meal so as we say in trini ” if yuh eat too much, yuh belly go buss”. Corn soup is no different; it has lots of ingredients, a lot of taste and filling as well. Of course everyone have their own twist and preferences in making this dish also, some people add coconut milk, cream style corn, pig tail (like me), or other meats…some even do a hybrid cow heel corn soup that tastes just as well.

By now you know I will tell you to experiment with the dish; I still believe that the taste buds rule when it comes to cooking. So don’t be afraid to experiment. Here’s trini style Corn Soup.

CORN SOUP

1 cup split peas
1 cup channa (garbanzo), soaked overnight
6 – 8 cups water
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 chive stalk
1 celery stalk
2 pimento peppers
4 ears of corn
1 carrot
1 cup pumpkin
1 pk vegetable soup

1 hot pepper. (optional)
3 bouillon cubes (optional)
salt to taste
For dumpling:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
water

Wash the channa and pressure cook for about 15 minutes.

Pressure cook the split peas for about 10 minutes

Knead the dough for the cornmeal dumpling to a semi-stiff dough,
and cut into 1/2″ pieces
. Set aside.

Clean and chop the corn into 1 -2″ pieces (notice the technique; just press down the point of the knife into the corn)

Chop up the rest of ingredients (carrots, pimento, chive, celery, pumpkin)
and add to pot of water

When boiling, add corn, dumplings, split peas and channa and allow to simmer for about 20 mins or until the corn is cooked and the dumplings float to the surface. Stir occasionally.

This pot of corn soup looks just about done. Serve hot.
Another delicious post has come to an end, as they all do. Bye for now.

Print this recipe

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Corn Soup (Trini Style)

1. Reeni September 7, 2008 at 1:16 am #

Calling this corn soup is so deceiving! It has wonderful ingredients besides the corn like pumpkin and garbanzo beans. Delicious!

2. Ivy September 7, 2008 at 3:11 am #

What’s not to like in this soup with all those yummy vegetables. I have never had whole corn ears before. The only way we eat them is by grilling them. I suppose they have to be extra tender to cook them because the ones we get are woody in the core.

3. simplytrinicooking.com September 7, 2008 at 3:04 pm #

The way you eat them grilled, we call it roast corn and yes, the corn is usually green and tender to make the corn soup; they’re not as matured or full

4. Foodaholic December 16, 2008 at 4:27 pm #

Looks good and filling. I have never seen a soup with corn like that in it before. Always just the corn kernels. Very interesting.

5. simplytrinicooking.com December 16, 2008 at 7:26 pm #

Well foodaholic welcome to the world of Trini cooking. I have lots of other interesting dishes like this one in the blog. Thanks for your comment.

6. Roma April 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

My my My …I recently got married and this is the world’s greatest site to me.great great great!

7. Felix April 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm #

Congratulations Roma on your marriage. Thank you :-)

8. Cheezees February 8, 2012 at 1:26 am #

Omg….this corn soup was bess. Ah swear it got even more delicious the next day when it “settled” and all the flavours were drawn out.

9. farah October 7, 2012 at 12:51 am #

this was great…just omitted the channa and added potato.. kids.loved it…first time making corn soup…

• Felix October 7, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

I like what you’re doing Farah. Keep on cooking :-)

10. victoria roopnarine October 17, 2012 at 12:50 am #

Its a very delicious soup, love it

11. Elissa F November 17, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Is it okay to leave out the pumpkin?

• Felix November 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Yep, just don’t leave out the corn lol!! :-)

12. mizenglish January 14, 2013 at 4:00 am #

Did you ever use cream style corn instead of the dhal? Dhal is hard to come by where I am.

• Felix January 14, 2013 at 4:42 am #

The best advice that I can give you is to use what you have available.

• kpatte23 June 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

mizenglish,
      I am with you, in that some of the ingredients is hard to come by. I used cream style corn (pureed some green seasoning I made). I use 1 can but pureed 3/4 and later added the rest of the can in the soup. No pumpkin, no chana in mine. Chicken stock and milk to replace some of the water and baking powder in the dumplings to make it lighter and cook faster.

When I realized I did not have all the ingredients, the Trini in me started to improvise. We function best under pressure and with little supply. The soup is a hit with my girlfriend and all our international friends. They can’t get enough of the Trini hand.

13. Anonymous July 21, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. Lots of people will surely benefit from your food writing. Cheers! :)

14. jen November 14, 2013 at 11:35 am #