Buss up Shut (Paratha Roti)

FavoriteLoadingAdd to favorites

Buss up Shut or Paratha Roti is the third type of roti that I’m posting for you all. This, in my opinion, is the most favoured among the four types of roti, probably because Dhal puri (the fourth roti ) has too much work involved and the other two, Sada and Dosti, are generally eaten for breakfast or dinner. But Buss up Shut, is the one used for weddings and special occasions in Trinidad and Tobago.

Buss Up Shut: A Trini Favourite Anytime

Although the popular belief is that, to enjoy a good buss up shut you have to go to an Indian Wedding, this has changed; now you can enjoy a hot, silky, buss up shut at any kind of wedding, christening or birthday party. That just goes to show how much we Trinidadians love buss up shut or is it that we don’t like to cook sometimes? I remember last “Arrival Day” (celebrated May 30th) every roti shop was busy (it didn’t have place to stand up) and there was a long line of people waiting to order buss up shut with a long list of sides (bodi, pumpkin, ochro, curry chicken, curry goat, curry shrimp, curry mango…you name it ,well… not curry beef ). But wait, if I could talk about the long lines then I had to be in the line also ….hmmm..

Buss Up Shut Recipe

Buss up Shut  (Paratha Roti), buss up shut recipe, buss up shutBuss up shut with Curry Chicken, Channa and Aloo
(the chicken had just the right amount of pepper)
Anyhow back to the post, buss up shut is simple to make with common ingredients in any kitchen. Once you learn the technique, people may wonder where in Trinidad you’re from but you could keep it a secret and don’t say I showed you how to make it real Trini style. All you have to do now is learn how to make Curry Chicken and Channa and Aloo and you could open a roti shop somewhere in New York and “yuh in bizness” haha!!!. Here’s Buss up Shut or Paratha Roti.
BUSS UP SHUT (PARATHA ROTI)

4 cups flour

6 tbsp. Ghee, butter (Ghee is clarified butter)

4 tsp. baking powder

2 tbsp. oil

1/2 tsp. salt

1 3/4 cups water

Sift and mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add enough of water.

Knead to a soft dough.

A soft dough is formed.

Form four loyas or balls and leave to “rest” for about 15 – 30 mins.

Roll out the dough after “resting”.

Spread butter or ghee and sprinkle with flour

Make a cut from the centre out to the edge and roll making a cone

Press the peak and flatten the centre of the cone. Leave to “rest” about 15 – 30mins

Afterwards, roll out on a floured board

Using the flat side of a cup or other utensil,
dip into butter or ghee mixed with the oil and coat an already hot tawah

Place the dough onto the tawah

Spread the ghee or butter on one side using
the flat edge of the cup, then turn over onto the other side to cook.
Spread butter or ghee on the other side the same way.

When cooked on both sides use a dabla to break up the roti to give the ripped up, flaky appearance. You can alternatively, wrap the roti in a clean cloth and beat with you hands or bailna.

The finished buss up shut ready to be served

Note: Arrival Day – Holiday, better known as Indian Arrival Day celebrates the arrival of the first East Indians to Trinidad and Tobago. It is celebrated on the 30th of May.

This has been a really wonderful post, I feel happy to share this recipe with everyone. please come again.  If you’re up to it and you really like my Buss Up Shut recipe why not leave a comment in the box below.

Comments

1. says

W The flour has to be kneaded soft . If you kneaded the flour and it was stretchy and soft then you did it correctly. It may be a little unmanageable if you never kneaded flour this soft but soon you will get the hang of it. It is not how long you knead the flour but rather how soft you knead it. Thank you for your comment :^)

2. says

I enjoyed the way you explain everything & lead us through the steps. I would love to make this but wish I could smell all the spices in your blog:) Nice post & very informative.

3. says

oh man, this looks fantastic. i love roti, and our trinidadian friend used to feed me up with it after my babies were born. love your explanations, too. thanks so much!

4. says

I am soo happy to have stumble upon your site. What started out as a search for dhal puri roti recipe, ended up with your awesome blog. I love your step by step and I am going to try every one of your recipes (ingredients permitting) “I’m in heaven” as Frank Sinatra says. P.s. I live in Canada I’m seriously deprived of Caribbean soul food. I look forward to more of your delish morsels.

5. says

Thank you so much for this recipe! I just did a google search for “buss up” and came across your blog! My husband is from Trinidad and I have learned much from his mother, but I am not able to see her enough to learn all I would like to. (We live in NY.) When she was last here, I learned to make dal puri (spelling?) The dal puri is good, but it’s a lot of work, and I like the buss up much better anyway. My husband doesn’t care which – just wants some food like home! :) This recipe came out great for me but I had a little trouble rolling the roti out once I added the butter and did the “cone” step. I served it with curry chicken and potatoes. My husband was excited to get some roti and he enjoyed it a lot. Your blog is my new secret in the kitchen! Thank you again!!

6. says

Well Mrs wishfuleyes I am glad that the roti came out superbly. This blog, I might add, is my labour of love and the journey has now started. I have a long way to go. Thank you for your support. Without comments like yours and many others I would not be where I am today. Thank you once again and do pass by often for more Trini recipes.

7. says

Thanks for your kind comments! I was wondering if you know how to make “aloe pie.” I’m not sure if that is the correct spelling, but that’s how it sounds when I hear it. Anyway, my mother-in-law always makes those for us to bring on the plane when we’re leaving Trinidad. I would love to learn how to make them! I can’t wait to try your pastelles! I don’t care for those because of the olives, but I will make them for my hubby. :) Also, he likes “Areupas.” Again, I’m unsure of the spelling, but that’s how it sounds to me. You have no idea how grateful I am for this blog! I agree that there aren’t enough Trini recipes out there and I need more variety in my kitchen! I can cook all kinds of American food, but I have a lot to learn about West Indian cooking! Bye for now!! -Aimee

8. says

I’m glad you’re enjoying my posts. I did the Aloo pies already and it is in the Menu on the right column under Breads and Pastries.

As for the Arepas I haven’t done those as yet but it’s in the plans for this year so look out for it.

The recipe for the pastelles is very flexible and the olives could be omitted because they are optional.

I personally do not like the optional ingredients in my pastelle; I like mine simple and traditional, so go ahead, make those pastelles and enjoy a few.

Also if you want to learn about the proper spelling of some of our Trini words you can check out the Trini dictionary. Hope this helps :^)

9. Anonymous says

Thanks so much for the recipes. I wish you could make Youtube videos that would be super super great. I am using youtube to learn how to cook but there are hardly any carribean recipes and all the roti recipes are from India, they make there’s different than Trini’s. Please consider it. Please.

10. Anonymous says

Thank you sooo much for this recipe! After we got married my husband migrated from Trindad to be with me. I was feeling some Trini vibes this week so I made pelau on Monday then I said why not try some buss up shut on Tuesday. It was great. Your step by step instructions made it so easy. I made it with curry chicken, potatoes and pumpkin. The internet was down so I couldn’t find how to make curry mangoes. But my husband was really happy to get some Trini food. He was oohing and aahing about how good it was. He thought I got it from a Trini friend! Well, he was right – you are definitely a friend of mine now. I’m so excited I think I’m cooking callalloo tomorrow!

11. says

Reading this comment has made me smile :) but it would not have been possible without all the support I get at home from my wife and mom so thank them as well. Have a nice day. I hope you still got around to do the curry mango. :^)

12. says

My friend has married a guy from Trinidad, and when we last went to there place his cousin taught me how to make this roti. From what I have seen of your blog so far I really like it :) Keep up the good work of cataloguing food from your part of the world. It will be good to see what the vegetarian food will be like ;)

13. says

Thank you for your wonderful comment. I did a few vegetarian dishes already, the most popular so far has been Trini Spinach Lasagna. You should check it out.

14. says

Hey Felix, in the recipe, it doesn’t explain what to do with the 2 tbs of oil. Do you combine it with the ghee when you spread on the the dough? Is it combined with the ghee and then use the cup to press it on the roti when you are frying it?

15. says

Oh! It’s combined with the ghee and then you use the cup to press it on the roti. Some people use the straight ghee, others, like my mom, like to mix it. Hope this helps.

16. says

Do you use crushed curried chick peas as well on the roti after it is done, a lot of my friends from Trini do , but fam from Belize and Guyana does not, I am looking for that step in a recipe but cannot find it no where. Any help ? I love your blog and a youtube channel would be delightful. Thank you

17. says

Do you mean curry channa (garbanzo) as a side? If yes then Yes! We (Trinis) love to eat buss up shut with curry channa and aloo together with curry chicken or beef or goat …etc. If no then you would have to explain yourself. Write soon :-)

18. says

I think T meant substituting the flour for the crushed chick peas or chick pea flour, I was wondering the same thing, and also can you add turmeric or curry powder to give it color, if so whats best and how much?

19. says

I’m not aware of what you’re referring to but it sounds more like dhal puri to me where we use split peas as a filling. Please elaborate.

20. says

Ah does love me bus up shut, I rub in olive oil instead of butter. Wish I could get the dablas here in UK to bus it up…..My problem is I can never get the heat under the tawa correct…its either too low or too high….

21. says

So last night I made some roti and I did exactly as you suggested and i kneaded the dough longer this time and the end result was a sort of stiff (yet tasty) roti. I dont know what i’m doing wrong! Someone suggested youtube, that would be a great idea. Does it matter if I use a nonstick frying pan to cook it? Please help

22. says

I think it matters if you use a nonstick frying pan. Frying pans are thin and would cook the roti too fast thus making it stiff plus, you won’t be able to spread it out as thin like if you used a tawa. Youtube sounds like a good idea :-)

23. says

so it matters how thick or thin i roll it out. usually i try to roll it thin, is that wrong? i’m going to try to find a tawah or steal my mothers…lol and see if that helps. My mother makes the best roti and she showed me how but i’m still trying to get it as soft and flaky as she does it.

• says

Dear Felix,

I stumbled upon your website while searching for…”Why roti stiff”

I am a SA Indian who CAN NOT make roti (indian breads) to save my life :-) My husband to be is non indian and can BUT the big problem is…it always comes out stiff. He gets upset and feels terrible.

THANK YOU!!!! I think the heat and frying pan is the problem. Will tell him when his mood is better ;-)

24. says

Thank you for your recipes. I am first generation of my Trini family to be born in America. I lost my mother and grandmother seven years ago, which left a large empty space in my heart. Your recipes help me to keep those happy memories I have of them alive, especially during the holidays when we would all be in kitchen cooking. Thanks again for making this AMERICAN BOOP feel at home.

25. says

Thanks for the recipes, i am in the UK(Bristol) now and missing home so make these for me and my wife keeping a little bit of home with me and ensuring my daughter knows some good Trini food…my wife is English but loves this Trini food almost as much as i do…continue posting great job

26. says

I did everything exactly like the instructions above…trust me, I had the laptop in the kitchen…:)

I used butter instead of ghee and rolled the dough out until it was thin and stretchy, could this be the reason?

27. says

It could possibly be the heat from the tawah together with how thin you rolled it out. If the tawah was too hot, the roti would have cooked too fast or got over cooked causing the crispiness.

I’m still wondering about the heaviness though. care to elaborate?

28. says

Thanks for the explanation above,next time I’ll lower the heat.

Well when I say heavy, it seemed that when the heat was applied the dough thickened and so while I know roti to be light and flaky, mine came out flaky but not light, it was very close to very thin pita bread.

Not sure if this explanation helps.

29. says

@ Blessed I think you roti stone is too small and you cones are too big and you try to roll it out to fit the stone hence, the heaviness take your time Trini cooking is an art not to be hurried, you will get it right

30. Mali says

Man you just saved my life. I made some dhal puri for hubby and he laughed me to scorn. He said it is no buss up shut. So thanks to your wonderful post I can fulfill his wish. Love the step by step instructions.

• asha says

Using the flat side of a cup or other utensil,
      dip into butter or ghee mixed with “the oil” and coat an already hot tawah

31. Kandace says

Best cooking blog ever. So glad I stumbled upon it….Tried buss up shot for the first time and it came out bessss….

32. schar says

I see this is from years ago. Well just to keep you poppin IT’S STILL WORKIN IN 2014. Grew up with the Trini vibe then married it. Thanks for the posts they will be extermely valuable as I brush up my cookin skills to Trini cooking. Thanks for your clear and precise directions. Dahl Puri is first… will let you know how it came out

33. Pat says

So excited for this recipe! I am going to make this for the first time. I appreciate this page so much. Will keep you posted :)

34. Querino de-Freitas says

WHEN MY VISITED MY FAMILY IN TRINIDAD,,WE ATE ALOT OF ROTIS..IN ST JAMES PORT OF SPAIN…….I PREFER THE ORDINARY ROTI WHICH CHIC-PEAS OR POTATO CURRY IS FOLDED IN THE ROTI…….THANKS itas

35. Cathy says

Hi, I really love your blog. You have some really good things going on here. I need a tawa- my problem is that there are so many out there to choose from. Help- should I go the stone route??

36. Neesha says

Hi there. I know I need to practice more, but it seems mine always comes out fat and crispy, not thin, soft, and flaky. My mom brought me a tawa from Trini recently. How thin should I roll it, and what temp should the burner be on? Also, how long does the dough need to sit on the tawa before flipping it over? I think that’s where my problems lie (the rolling out and knowing how to handle it on the tawa).

• says

Making roti requires practice so don’t give up. The roti should be rolled out to about 1/8 of an inch. The fire should not be too hot. When you see bubbles starting to appear then you flip the roti.