Macaroni Pie

Macaroni Pie is one of the first dishes many teen aged Trinis learn to cook, actually this was the first dish that I learnt on my own.

Macaroni Pie = simplicity + versatility

This easy dish is certainly a good starter for young budding cooks. And, as they come to it they may put their own style to it. They may add minced beef cooked in tomato sauce and fresh herbs as a filling for the pie, or as a topping with the cheese. They may also add vegetables such as grated carrots, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, or broccoli to it. And, it can also be made without eggs for vegetarians. Starting from this basic recipe, macaroni pie could carry one to other worlds of taste.

Macaroni PieMacaroni Pie with fried fish and black eye peas

The diversity of a trini macaroni pie is remarkable. Some people put a teaspoon of lemon juice to “cut” the freshness of the egg. You can also omit the egg and use less cheese. If you do this you can substitute it with a white sauce. The white sauce must be of a smooth thickness.
However, I love macaroni pie for its simplicity and ease in preparation. It takes about 3/4 of an hour to prepare and bake.

My macaroni pie recipe

MACARONI PIE

1 pack macaroni, about 20 oz
1 egg
2-3 tsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. Butter
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 lb. cheese, grated
1 small onion, finely grated
1 pimento
1 tsp. parsley
1 sprig of chive, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. bitters
a dash of favorite seasonings
salt and pepper sauce to taste

Boil the macaroni a little water for about 10 minutes (until it is slightly cooked) and drain.

Add the butter into the hot macaroni and mix until melted.

Add the egg, tomato paste, milk and cheese. Mix well.

Add herbs, bitters, and pepper to the macaroni and mix well.

In a greased baking dish pour the mixture and sprinkle cheese over the top.
Garnish slightly.

Macaroni PieBake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.

That’s it for this post. Thanks again for stopping by!

Please leave me a comment and tell me how your macaroni pie tasted.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Macaroni Pie

1. Helene August 10, 2008 at 5:29 pm #

This looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

2. raz4125 August 10, 2008 at 8:34 pm #

Thank you Helene. Nice blogs by the way.

3. Tom August 12, 2008 at 3:09 am #

You have some really lovely food and recipes here. Thank you for showing me something new!

4. Jesse November 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

I am 25 years old and have been forced to learn to cook as both my parents are out of the country on vacation (yes, shameful I know, lol).

I am sitting at the computer now with my plate of macaroni pie, black eyed peas and baked chicken and my taste-buds are impressed! Thank you!! You saved my brother and I from starvation, lol.

• Felix November 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Glad to know I saved yours and your brother’s life ….Look at that, STC is saving lives now! :)

5. dc July 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Hello Felix, the macaroni pie looks wonderul but is there any chance you can include the recipe for the stewed black eyed peas please? By the way, tried your red beans recipe and really liked it! Looking forward to the stewed black eyed peas recipe! :)

• Felix July 29, 2013 at 2:05 am #

It will be done soon :)

6. wendy June 14, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

I am so happy that I found your website. It has been a go-to site for every meal since I first visited. I am about to try this macaroni pie for the third time, because it truly is delicious. The only thing I added was about 1 or 2 tsp of prepared mustard to emphasize the cheesy taste.

Because of you I now thoroughly enjoy bhaigan choka. Yum yum :)